Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a good idea to me.

I could moderate it, I'm sure there would be allot of people interested too.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
What if you don't have a microphone? IRC wouldn't compete w/ the Ventrilo server, and it's not like it would cost anything to set up.

irc.freenode.org #ocn?

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
It has been suggested several times. I believe even I brought it up a long time ago. However, instead of creating an irc server, a chat room was built into the site.

But it came down to two things. One, no one really used the chat room. And two, admin used to say that he prefers chat rooms, PMs, vent, etc. not be used for things that fit on the forum.

Otherwise, any discussions of problems and their solutions won't be saved on the site for future users, ignoring online irc logs of course.

Creating an irc server and/ or starting an overclock.net channel on another irc server would mean it should be officially branded. So individual users creating and moderating an overclock.net irc channel doesn't seem right.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Notice that I said a chat room was built into the site. I didn't say it was still up.

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
(Link removed ) if anyone want's to join. Ask for OP and you just might get it if your important enough

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701
View Post

Actually we dont have the Chatroom Anymore as someone Exploited it and hacked OCN's database.

Yep, very-very-very easy to do.

The other thing is, is bandwidth usage. Unless OCN is metered and has some to spare, bandwidth can get excessive. It also takes away from the bread and butter, the forum, and exposes the site to illegal issues (i.e., warez especially, as mods aren't going to be on 24/7 when it's open).

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryNite View Post
Yep, very-very-very easy to do.

The other thing is, is bandwidth usage. Unless OCN is metered and has some to spare, bandwidth can get excessive. It also takes away from the bread and butter, the forum, and exposes the site to illegal issues (i.e., warez especially, as mods aren't going to be on 24/7 when it's open).
IRC bandwidth is not to scary. It's less than a game server.

n00bstoires has a 3 web sites and 5 game servers all on the same server without ad's or anything and work off donations.

You can put a disclaimer too

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaRaDoX View Post
( Link removed ) if anyone want's to join. Ask for OP and you just might get it if your important enough
Did you get Permission from Admin first for this..Un-official or not you cant just use the Forums name.

Theres not a problem with having an IRC channel Un-official for Oc.net but getting permission first would be prudent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.