Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am torn between getting a DELL U2515h (60Hz IPS) or the AOC G2460PF (144Hz Freesync TN).

I am a casual gamer (both moba and FPS). I have never used a 144 hz monitor, and I have never used one with Freesync. Moreover, where I live, I do not have the chance to use one in order to judge on my own which one suits me the best. I have only used 60Hz IPS monitors.

My question to you is: Will the 144hz freesync monitor make up for the color loss due to the TN technology? Is the color difference between IPS and TN that obvious? I know it all comes down to personal preference, but since I have never used 144hz panels or Freesync, I really don't know what to choose.

Moreover, U2515h is 1440p and I am not really sure how my R9 390 is going to handle it.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Color difference is day and night, should be obvious. Freesync / Gsync becomes less important as you get higher frames with a better video card. The reason I'm stating this is because the AOC monitor you listed is 1080p which shouldn't be a problem for your 390. Freesync wouldn't even be used half the time unless you played top of the line AAA games with everything maxed

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
In my opinion, color reproduction is more important than framerate. IPS panels are better panels than TN panels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the fast reply. I see Freesync as a futureproof choice (since I won't have the luxury to change monitors very often), meaning that when my pc starts struggling with newer titles, I will have freesync to back me up. However, as I stated before, I have never used a 144Hz monitor and I do not know if it is worth it (taking into account the fact that you will have to sacrifice the colors of an IPS panel).

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
11,459 Posts
In a nutshell:
If you are going to be gaming than viewing, get a 144hz monitor
If you're going to be viewing more than gaming, get a IPS/PLS monitor

There are SOME TN panels that offer 144hz, and have good colour reproduction - like the AOC Q2770PQU for example.

I am on a PLS/IPS panel - because I can't stand the colours of a TN generally speaking.
However, I game quite a lot and I do notice the difference between 60hz and 144hz - it's huge - so that's why I got a 96hz QNIX monitor.
If I could have a 144hz IPS/PLS panel for an affordable price, I would - as a true 144hz monitor is fantastic for games like CSGO.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
The AOC G2460PF has bad colours for a TN, but PC Monitors Review contains an ICC profile to correct the low, color dulling gamma, and Color Sustainer can be used to games use the profile.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the answers. The nixeus is not available in my country (not even from amazon). I guess that since I cannot have access to 144hz monitor in order to test it, I will have to gamble
tongue.gif

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

I would take a look at the Nixues Vue 24, has a wider freesync range of 30-144hz instead of 35-144hz for the AOC.
Well, nowadays, with AMD's framerate compensation, that's not an issue.

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
The main disadvantage of TN panels is the polarized light in the 'on' state. Like the CRT's before, it is very straining to look at due to disturbing amounts of light leak(specular glare, or whatever - sorry for theI edited that part out).
IPS panels on the other hand are polarized when 'off' and unpolarized when 'on'. IPS panels do not necessarily generate good colours(technically oled is better), they generate glossy colours which is more pleasing to look at. VA's and TN's have better contrast at lower brightness levels.
You will have better motion clarity with a strobed backlight monitor albeit the extra eye-strain.

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

The main disadvantage of TN panels is the polarized light in the 'on' state. Like the CRT's before, it is very straining to look at due to disturbing amounts of light leak(specular glare, or whatever - sorry for the ).
IPS panels on the other hand are polarized when 'off' and unpolarized when 'on'. IPS panels do not necessarily generate good colours(technically oled is better), they generate glossy colours which is more pleasing to look at. VA's and TN's have better contrast at lower brightness levels.
You will have better motion clarity with a strobed backlight monitor albeit the extra eye-strain.
As someone who edits photos on both a TN and an IPS monitor, you're wrong about IPS panels not delivering better color. They deliver better yellows, more saturated blues, and better subtle differences between light and dark.

I can't edit photos on my TN panel without having to put them back onto my IPS monitor to finish later.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

They deliver better yellows, more saturated blues, and better subtle differences between light and dark.
Are you sure that's not down to the specificity of each unit (gamma shift notwithstanding)?

·
ACK!
448 Posts
When I switched to IPS it was a mind blown moment. I literally laughed out loud at the difference. But hardcore fps guys who switch to 144hz say the same thing. solution - buy both and return one?!

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

As someone who edits photos on both a TN and an IPS monitor, you're wrong about IPS panels not delivering better color. They deliver better yellows, more saturated blues, and better subtle differences between light and dark.

I can't edit photos on my TN panel without having to put them back onto my IPS monitor to finish later.
also the color shift when web browsing is atrocious on TN still to this day. i don't just game on my monitor, i do a lot of stuff and i want all of it to be quality

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

also the color shift when web browsing is atrocious on TN still to this day. i don't just game on my monitor, i do a lot of stuff and i want all of it to be quality
No way of maintaining font luminosity - those edges shimmer all so prickly. Seriously, if any computer work is involved, IPS is a tier above TN - just like that is a league above CRT(9% faster visual tracking).

·
Registered
65 Posts
If someone's a casual gamer, or they focus on MOBA or RPG, I feel the better color and viewing angles are more beneficial than the super smooth motion and higher refresh. Some FPS shouldn't push you into the 144hz desire unless you're really into CS:GO levels of speed.

Do you already crank all the graphics options to "low" for a higher frame rate, despite having a really good graphics card? If so, then 144hz is 110% what you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

IPS panels do not necessarily generate good colours(technically oled is better)
There's no common OLED monitor on the market, and IPS is currently the industry standard for graphic designers. I would not even attempt doing a paid gig on a TN. Also, many OLED technically oversaturate to an extent. So really, they're not perfect either.

But just because you see OLED as the ideal doesn't make IPS not good. It's certainly better at color than TN by staggering, measurable amount.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Only had the chance to play with lightboost v1, but I found crosstalk in Diablo 3 was actually more distracting than motion blur! IMO high refresh/blur reduction is only super useful to the degree you rotate a camera with a mouse.

That said it's pretty much a godsend if you want to take FPS "seriously," you will orient and respond faster to your enviornment. Of course that's exactly the kind of game where you rotate camera 100% of the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just got a Benq XL2430T 144Hz to run alongside my cheap Viewsonic IPS that I use for photo editing. Sat next to the IPS screen (that was half the price of the Benq 3 years ago) my new screeen looks horrific. Yeah 144 Hz is great but once you've been spoiled by IPS going back to TN is a major let down.
Just wish that someone would release a 1080p 144Hz IPS monitor otherwise I can't see any alternative but to save up for a 1440p 144Hz IPS and a v highe end GPU to run it

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippet View Post

I've just got a Benq XL2430T 144Hz to run alongside my cheap Viewsonic IPS that I use for photo editing. Sat next to the IPS screen (that was half the price of the Benq 3 years ago) my new screeen looks horrific. Yeah 144 Hz is great but once you've been spoiled by IPS going back to TN is a major let down.
Just wish that someone would release a 1080p 144Hz IPS monitor otherwise I can't see any alternative but to save up for a 1440p 144Hz IPS and a v highe end GPU to run it
The 1440p 144 Hz TN monitors actually measure very well with regards to color accuracy (see reviews such as TFTCentral's), and people who have owned both 1440p 144 Hz TN and IPS monitors have said they are very close in color performance (see the threads by callsignvega and s1rrah).

I'm avoiding both TN and IPS from now on. They don't deliver good enough picture quality for me.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts