Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a new TV for my PS3 in 1080p and just standard definition freeview. At the moment I have a 22" Panasonic Quintrix CRT and I have been eyeing up this Samsung LE32B550 on Amazon Warehouse.

They have it for £304 shipped, but they say a downside is the 50hz refresh. Is that a major issue, will it be something i'm going to notice big time in games?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...32in-LCD-TV/p1

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
you'll get more tearing at 50hz assuming your games run at 30fps

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
It will be fine, infact i prefer the non 120/240hz LCD's... Its just the standard refresh rate for all other electronic devices on the planet

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1 View Post
It will be fine, infact i prefer the non 120/240hz LCD's... Its just the standard refresh rate for all other electronic devices on the planet

Actually, the standard is 60Hz.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbulb View Post
you'll get more tearing at 50hz assuming your games run at 30fps
Well, I believe GT5 runs at 60fps native (I could be wrong about that though)

Quote:

Fair enough, I mean, some games play on my 1920x1080 monitor at 59hz and i've never noticed any lag (visual).

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi View Post
I wouldn't invest my money in a 50hz TV.
Well, the price range hardly accommodates much more.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalBeerSolid View Post
Actually, the standard is 60Hz.
Europe is 50hz. N America/canada is 60hz

And why is everyone confusing FPS with refresh rate?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Your screen can only display 60 fps on most, therefore anything higher than 60 fps is just wasted because the screen will never display all those extra rendered frames. That's why FPS of input sources is important, as he could have another 10 FPS displayed to him with a 60 hz tv, if GT5 does, indeed display 60 FPS (not sure I believe it, but that remains to be seen).

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Quote:

nope, every monitor/tv i've ever seen here in yurop has been 60 or 120hz

and fps and hz are the same thing when you're talking about monitors

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't get me wrong, i'm going to sit there and get some raging hardon over image quality. I just want a solid, good value product. It's literally for some PS3 games and standard definition Freeview TV.

I just want to know if i'll notice a 50hz as being bad.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
if tearing from not having vsync on bothers you then the 50hz tv will too.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Hi,i used to have problems with crysis over hdmi and scaling,basically at the time i had no option to run @50hz due to ati driver limitations with 4xxx hdmi,otherwise i got black border around game.

So i ran crysis @50hz for a while and i can just barely notice a difference and the difference being that the image does not appear to be quite as smooth or accurate as when being run @60hz,this all being with vsync enabled.

Like i say you can notice the difference but its not game killing bad,but,if you have chance then obviously buy 60hz+

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll keep looking. Any other good brands other than Sammy? I'm really looking at Amazon Warehouse. New products with damaged packaging.

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
50Hz is fine for TV

60Hz is the bare minimum for gaming. I notice in games like TF2 where I play scout (a very fast paced class) That 60FPS is not enough... Sure I can game on it, but I am sure seeing the 60Hz limit. Luckily, my monitor seems to support 75Hz, although it's on DVI, which I'm not using because another screen is taking up that connector.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
I'll keep looking. Any other good brands other than Sammy? I'm really looking at Amazon Warehouse. New products with damaged packaging.
http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/catalog/

Mate bought tv from here,good prices and sell open box for deccent prices.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
I'm going to look into that deal, seems very good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
50Hz is fine for TV

60Hz is the bare minimum for gaming. I notice in games like TF2 where I play scout (a very fast paced class) That 60FPS is not enough... Sure I can game on it, but I am sure seeing the 60Hz limit. Luckily, my monitor seems to support 75Hz, although it's on DVI, which I'm not using because another screen is taking up that connector.
I'll be playing GT5... so somewhat fast paced!

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LG a good brand then? That Richer Sounds deal is cracking. I have one about 30 mins away I can collect from.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts