Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Bottom line is, I'm looking at grabbing the Lenovo Y700 laptop as seen here.

However, it only comes with a 5400RPM drive. Why would this be? Surely it should be 7200RPM?

I have another laptop I'm looking at which has a 7200RPM drive but I prefer the Lenovo build.

Would you guys say that I should forget the 5400RPM drive? Even though it has an SSD too, I feel like they sold out here.

Thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi @8564dan!

A bigger RPM drive will make some difference, mostly in load times on games (for instance in speed in loading/saving).

Also keep in mind that a 7200 RPM drive will consume more power and run just a little warmer and noisier, so if keeping it cool is always going to be a concern then go for with a 5400 RPM HDD.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
RPM is only one factor which contributes to the performance of a hard drive. Obviously if all else is equal then more is better here, but platter density and some other things are also important. Some 5400RPM drives can outperform some 15K RPM drives.

Your best bet would be to try and find out the exact HDD model that Lenovo uses in the specific laptop model you're looking at and look that up. Since you mentioned that the laptop comes with an SSD and the highest model of the Y700 is a 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD combo even if the HDD is relatively slow you should have more than enough fast storage due to the SSD.

There is a review on the page you linked with someone saying that both the SSD and the HDD are slow. Maybe he's wrong, maybe he's right, however he didn't post any benchmark results so there's not much to go by here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts