Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a futher upgrade! Mainly due to my x700 finaly taking a well deserved flight across the room. I got this newer 630 prescott running wonderfully. I just ordered the Zalman cnps7700 120mm. I also upgraded from pc2 4200 to pc2 5400 with nice timings. Now i need a gfx that isnt total crap like the x700 was from day one. I dont have a ton to spend maybe 200 MAX. Im looking at this evga 6800gs. Its Cheap and has good reviews. Is there something better for the money i should look at? PCI-Express and has to be Nvidia. Thanx for the input guys!

·
Registered
821 Posts
For a card with features the 6800gs is the way to go. i would buy one personally.or if you have the money i would buy a 7800gt you should be able to get one really cheap as they stopped making them.

edit: you really can't be mad at ati for having a x700 card because the x800/850 and the x1k series are all very nice.The x700's are all terrible cards.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the input Ill look for a cheap 7800 but i think the 6800gs will be the one i go with less i find a crazy deal. Im sure some of ATIs stuff is nice but i will NEVER load catalyst drivers EVER EVER again. All the issues i have ever run into with ATI seem to be driver based. Anyone else hate ATIs software?? or do i just sux0r at life.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulB

Thanx for the input Ill look for a cheap 7800 but i think the 6800gs will be the one i go with less i find a crazy deal. Im sure some of ATIs stuff is nice but i will NEVER load catalyst drivers EVER EVER again. All the issues i have ever run into with ATI seem to be driver based. Anyone else hate ATIs software?? or do i just sux0r at life.

Well you should have said that.I hate ati drivers. I've had four programs tell me i couldn't do something cause of the "untested drivers".Anyways i'l probably go back to nvidia soon as i feel they have a higher quality product but i would live with ati if i had too.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow great post Ropey. Thats a big help. Im looking at more like 70-120$ difference but there is one for under 200 so that would be the way to go! Thanx man!

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
What kind of condition is that X700 in? I might be interested in buying it from you if it still works and is PCI-E

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah im thinking 7600gs now. Newegg has the Evga which is clocked higher than the XfX stock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...83#DetailSpecs

The X700 still works and is in fine shape. Its an ATI (not evga, bfg, asus, whoever) and its the Pro with 128mb GDDR3. I would be willing to sell it cheap but i suggest you find something better. Feel free to make me an offer thow!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

..you must sux0r at life then, because I've always thought very highly of catalyst, I like it a lot better than forceware.

·
Banned
41 Posts
The 7600GT runs cooler, but may be about the same noise level. I think you should get the 6800GS to save some money. Plus it's unlockable to 16 pipes so it really is a 6800GT. My friend got it and he's very pleased. It won't work on his computer but it works on his dad's though.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch13f121

..you must sux0r at life then, because I've always thought very highly of catalyst, I like it a lot better than forceware.

Let me get this straight. Because he likes something you don't he must "sux at life"?

Is this what you meant?

R

·
Banned
41 Posts
Quote:

Yeah im thinking 7600gs now. Newegg has the Evga which is clocked higher than the XfX stock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...83#DetailSpecs

The X700 still works and is in fine shape. Its an ATI (not evga, bfg, asus, whoever) and its the Pro with 128mb GDDR3. I would be willing to sell it cheap but i suggest you find something better. Feel free to make me an offer thow!

How many megs is it?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ropey

Let me get this straight. Because he likes something you don't he must "sux at life"?

Is this what you meant?

R

Quote:

haha it was meant to be a joke, I wasn't being a smartass, so lay off.

·
Registered
688 Posts
i have a leadtek 7600gt, tis a good card. Scored 5.7k 3Dmark05 with my rig all at stock. the cooler is a bit loud but other then that i am very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

haha it was meant to be a joke, I wasn't being a smartass, so lay off.

I was just trying to figure out what you meant since you posted no smiley faces indicating that you were making a joke.

Thanks for letting us know you were not being serious. Now we know that you do not just "Sux0r at life".

R

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah no worries about "sux0r at life" i said it first! lol Alright so the 6800gs will ALWAYS unlock to (16?) pipes? This still wouldnt beat the 7600gs would it?

As i posted the x700pro I have is a 128mb Gddr3 made by Ati
EDIT:: actually after checking RivaTuner its showing its a 256mb card. Im almost sure thats incorrect thow. how can i check? Its showing 425.3core and 432.0 mem

·
Registered
688 Posts
Your looking for PCI-e right? The AGP 6800GS usually unlock (not heard of it not unlocking yet) none of the 6800series on PCI-e unlock.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Well, it seems like the 7600 GT is just a little better than the 6800 GS.

On a side note; Damn it! I just bought this fricking 6800 GS, had I known the 7600 GT was about to come out, I would've bought that one instead. But I'm not at all disappointed with my 6800 GS, I like it a lot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts