Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to update my video cards and was wondering if the 750w Corsair HX750 psu I have is enough to run them on my current system. The cards I would like to get are 2X XFX 6950's 2G versons

Here is the rest of my system info
-PhenomII 955
-G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB 4X2GB
-Corsair Storage Solutions F180 SSD 2X in RAID0
-Fans are
3X 250mm
2X 120mm
1X 140mm
-LG GH22N (optical drive)

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Hx750 will be plenty for that rig.

A good 600w psu would be enough but better to have more than not enough

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanbob1234
View Post

Hx750 will be plenty for that rig.

A good 600w psu would be enough but better to have more than not enough

600w = not enough.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by railfan844
View Post

600w = not enough.

please elaborate.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
A 600-650W with a good set of +12V rails should be good

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Quote:
The problem wasn't with the wattage the problem was with the OCZ stealthxstream. they have massive problems if he was to get a corsair/antec/xfx it would be perfectly fine.

I ran my sig rig on a cx600w psu for a week not a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:
LOL, your elaboration for why this person's rig won't run on a good 600w PSU is a link to another thread where you make another unsubstantiated statement regarding a PSU requirement? At least back it up with reasoning.

People GREATLY overstate how much power a given system NEEDS to the point of absurdity. A GOOD 650w PSU would be PLENTY of power for the OP's rig. 750w is even more than enough. I would bet the max constant draw of that system could be maybe around 450 watts--maybe 500w, give or take.

OP, check out the power supply calculator here: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I approximated your system stock, and it says max draw would draw about 470w. That should give you a ballpark. But to answer your question, yes, a good 750w would also be fine.

·
Registered
665 Posts
OP, 750W is more than enough. Your max load both GPU and CPU stress at the same time will not go above 500W. My rig is Overclocked to 4GHz on CPU, SLI and Overclocked to 850MHz on the GPU, and themaximum power draw that I have seen on the wall power meter that I have is only 520W. At normal gaming, my usage is only 320-350Watts.

...plus I have 8 fans, D5 pump, Bluray disk, and fan controller installed as well.

As long as you are buying a quality PSU, 600W is normally ok for most systems.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks I was worried that I would need to get a new PSU as well. Now if I can just sell of the 2X 5850's

I am taking out I am not trying to promote a sale just merely stating the obvious. Figured I would put that in encase I offended someone

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche;14262398
LOL, your elaboration for why this person's rig won't run on a good 600w PSU is a link to another thread where you make another unsubstantiated statement regarding a PSU requirement? At least back it up with reasoning.
Hmm! You must have missed the other 6 people that also said it wasn't enough!
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche;14262398
People GREATLY overstate how much power a given system NEEDS to the point of absurdity. A GOOD 650w PSU would be PLENTY of power for the OP's rig.
650w, yes......but not 600 as I originally stated was insufficient.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by railfan844;14271000
Hmm! You must have missed the other 6 people that also said it wasn't enough!

650w, yes......but not 600 as I originally stated was insufficient.
No, I didn't miss it--the point is not the power rating, the point was the quality of the PSU. There is much more to a power supply than raw wattage rating. Besides, 6 people saying the same thing without reason doesn't make it any better. Opinions do not equal fact without supporting evidence. All that meant was that you were all incorrect.

A quality 600W would power the OP's rig just fine. Hell, even a quality 550W would get the job done as it probably wouldn't draw more than 450-ish watts with EVERYTHING at max load. However, I wouldn't suggest running a 550w PSU so close to capacity. But regardless, it would work, as would a 600, as would a 650, as would a 750. If you don't believe me, start adding up wattage ratings of components and see where it gets you. Or better yet, just use the PSU calculator in my previous post.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Easy I used a 750 for my 6950 and i5 2500k overclocked and there is tons of headroom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts