Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard people say the core 2 duo's wipe the floor with phenom 1 and 2's is it true i have a chance of winning a 6750 CPU and i need to know if i win should i sell my current board and CPU

thanks

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Phenom I's, yes, I'm pretty sure C2D > PHI. II's, it depends on what chip vs. what chip - they're both very good.

Not sure on the specific benchies for 9750 vs E6750.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by tNok85 View Post
Phenom I's, yes, I'm pretty sure C2D > PHI. II's, it depends on what chip vs. what chip - they're both very good.

Not sure on the specific benchies for 9750 vs E6750.
but is it worth it to sell my current setup and build around the intel?

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
C2D > PHI. The only thing in your setup you'd have to change is your mobo/cpu, and you could sell them and get enough I'm sure to get a very decent 775 board taht everything else you have would work with perfectly.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
It's pretty much on par with the phenom 2 architecture, but a good deal ahead of the phenom 1... It'll be better for gaming than your current CPU but IMO it seems a bit counter productive to step down to two cores from four as most games being developed now are able to utilize multiple cores

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Quote:

i5 750 > i7 920 according to that benchmark list...
It happens, game wise the i5 is hard to beat in terms of price/performance when comparing it to i7.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tK FuRY View Post
They go back and forth between applications

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyNikel View Post
It happens, game wise the i5 is hard to beat in terms of price/performance when comparing it to i7.
I sort of thought that i5 750 was basically the same thing as an i7 920, except the i7 had HT.

It looks like that EVERYTHING on that list that doesn't support HT, the i5 750 wins. And by a reasonable margin on some!

Yay!

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by killa_concept View Post
It's pretty much on par with the phenom 2 architecture, but a good deal ahead of the phenom 1... It'll be better for gaming than your current CPU but IMO it seems a bit counter productive to step down to two cores from four as most games being developed now are able to utilize multiple cores
i only game I'm more concerned with framerate than anything else

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Quote:

I sort of thought that i5 750 was basically the same thing as an i7 920, except the i7 had HT.

It looks like that EVERYTHING on that list that doesn't support HT, the i5 750 wins. And by a reasonable margin on some!

Yay!

Pretty much it, and the lower bandwidth in memory intensive applications. 920 still wins in those

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry to be a dissenter, but look at this handy page (anand rules)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=60&p2=22

You can google up more stats but to me it doesn't seem like a clear enough win to justify ripping out the mobo to suit as well.

On the other hand if you're going one of the high range 45nm C2D/C2Qs (E8600 for dual, or Q9550/9650.) then it would be worth it IMHO. Look at those charts in that link. Now imagine them with a good OC. On the other hand I dunno much about AMD overclocking, maybe your chip OCs like hell as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yea but he was talking about winning. If you win that E6750, sell your current CPU and motherboard and get a cheap P45 motherboard.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Your Mobo supports Phenom IIs which are equal or better than C2D in most scenarios.
Since Your limited to 95w this and this are some good quads.
Or you could go for Tri and grab something like this.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenFaux
View Post

Your Mobo supports Phenom IIs which are equal or better than C2D in most scenarios.
Since Your limited to 95w this and this are some good quads.
Or you could go for Tri and grab something like this.

no it only supports the energy efficient versions of the phenom II's like 900e and ones like that

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by philhalo66
View Post

wow
that's pretty insane but is crysis and crysis warhead really that much faster on a dual core?

Crysis and Crysis warhead are not multithreaded (they are only single threaded so they only use one core). And since the C2D and C2Q both thread really well, then it takes the lead.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb
View Post

Crysis and Crysis warhead are not multithreaded (they are only single threaded so they only use one core). And since the C2D and C2Q both thread really well, then it takes the lead.

well tats good enough for me I'm selling my current mobo and CPU IF i win that CPU

1 - 20 of 21 Posts