Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Back to Building
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Rampage III Extreme on the way to replace my plain old p6t (1 of the sata ports died on it, i wanted usb3 and sata6 anyways) and i see there is a pretty spiffy looking block for about $140 for it. I run at 200x21 on my current board and my cpu seems to be limited at that point. Would there be any point in getting the block for the new board or would it pretty much just be for looks at that point?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would say to invest in something else. It would most likely be there for looks. The cooling it would provide would be minimal. Also, it would add a lot of restriction to the loop.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lots of restriction. It really depends on the MOBO, to be honest. I have a 775 chipset board that has a SUPER hot NB chip. It doesn't help that ASUS put an aluminum heatsink on it then painted it a copper color as to appear that it was indeed copper.

Run it a while and if the board or chips get hot or super hot then I'd recommend looking at other options, specifically better heatsinks or an extra fan. A mobo block usually isn't needed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mobo blocks are the most restrictive in nature and "generally" not as useful to your loop as GPU/CPU blocks are. You'll also need to carefully look at your pump situation to make sure you have enough flow to push enough water through them at appropriate flow rates.

...but they are cool looking and in some cases they really do help lower the internal ambient temps of the case,

·
Registered
169 Posts
Quote:
Would there be any point in getting the block for the new board or would it pretty much just be for looks at that point?
It's not really needed and is generally for the bling factor. However as others have mentioned if you're chipset gets really hot (like on the evga classified boards) and you're overclock it can help.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Same as above replies - too much flow restriction for not much benefit at all besides looks. Today's motherboards are designed with decent cooling even for overclocked systems, unless your motherboard is a really cheap one in which case there's not even any point in upgrading its looks, hahaha. So yeah, don't worry about it - cool your CPU and perhaps also your graphics card(s).

I made this decision when I recently built my first loop - CPU and graphics card only.

·
Registered
270 Posts
As an R3E owner, I beg to differ. Run your system and check your temps with the standard heatsink on the NB, then test with adding the NB fan module. You will be mighty surprised how hot the NB gets on this board especially if you are going with WC on your CPU - your NB will be begging for aftermarket cooling. Do some research and you will find that many of us R3E owners have heat problems with the NB. You might be able to mitigate some of the heat by replacing the TIM, but I say just go for the gold and go with watercooling.

·
Registered
575 Posts
CHIV extreme user here..running 300 fsb..cpu-nb 1.4v..ht 2600..

My nb stock heatsink with new TIM...my temp on idle hits at high 40's and hits high 50's sometimes hits low 60's...

But when i change to full mobo block my temps at 75f ambient...nb 34c..full load 44c..

So its worthied for my opinion...

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have debated using a mobo block on my R3E but my temps are still ok 62C full load and my 930 is at 4.2 stable. Was close to 70 when I first got it but I removed the block they have on it and replaced the tim with some AS5 which gave me a 8c drop. They did a pretty shotty job with the TIM application. Its a cool block though but I dont feel its worth the 130.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts