Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a Logitech G500 mouse for my PC. I just wanted to know if i should pick up a mouse mat - like one of those steel series ones?
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really have a budget, but I don't wanna spend more that £10/15

·
Registered
464 Posts
If it's available in your area the Mionix Sargas and Propus are nice pads for the money. Stuff from SteelSeries would do nicely as well for a little bit more. The G500 can track on desktops but it would feel a lot better on a actual mousing surface.

·
✔️
1,584 Posts
TBH if you are seriously asking that question then you definitely don't need one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never used one tbf. But I never used to game and I've always used really cheap, crappy mice.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Do you really need/ want the extra stuff on the G500? If not, how about going for the lower priced G400 along with any of the mats listed above?

·
Registered
297 Posts
It is not always necessary. The advantages are

-You can pick a surface the sensor in your mouse tracks well on
-Some surfaces are easier on your mouse feet
-You can have one surface and bring it with you for a consistent feel wherever you go (LAN's etc.)
-You are free to choosea surface that provides the ideal combination of grip and glide that you may prefer
-You can cover an uneven desk surface
-Some mouse mats can add to comfort.

For the G500 you should get a hard mousepad.

Personally I would go for the G400 as it
-Has a better sensor
-Is lighter
-Looks better (preference)
-Does not have that wobbly annoying and hard to click scroll wheel
-Has a sensor that is centered instead of in the front
-Has a more even weight distribution
-Tracks well on both cloth and hard surfaces
-Is cheaper

Have a hard time recommending the G500 over the G400.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have the G500, and the G400. I like them both and they each have their place. I love the button that "unlocks" the scroll wheel on the g500. Use it all the time.

Mouse pad is NOT needed unless you are having issues with the surface that you use the mouse on. I've been gaming on my PC's for over 15 years and most all of that time I had no mouse pad.

If you like the friction feel between your mouse and the desk, and the mouse tracks well (input), then you don't "need" a pad. A pad in this case would simply be to change the friction, protect the desk surface, or extend the life of the pads on the mouse.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you don't want to go over 10 pounds I definitely recommend getting a Mionix Sargas. It's a very good cloth mouse mat. It works wonders with my Logitech G9.

And besides being very qualitative, it doesn't get dust stuck in it like most other mouse mats do. You can clean it very easily.

Steelseries mouse mats are also good but their prices don't justify the quality.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I think I may leave the mouse mat then.

I was thinking the 500 over the G400 as the sensor had a higher dpi, supposedly is better to hold, has an extra button and has better feet..

Is any of that gonna make a difference? How much would the positioning of the sensor affect use?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehta23 View Post

Thanks! I think I may leave the mouse mat then.

I was thinking the 500 over the G400 as the sensor had a higher dpi, supposedly is better to hold, has an extra button and has better feet..

Is any of that gonna make a difference? How much would the positioning of the sensor affect use?

The higher DPI allows you to use a higher sensitivity. However, no one under normal circumstances requires a DPI higher than the G400 offers. For example, in the FPS genre, "pro's" regularly use something like 800 DPI in CS:GO, but I have yet to see on rocking 5000+ DPI. These numbers are fairly meaningless. What is more important is the actual accuracy and reliability of the sensor. The laser sensor on the G500 also has a higher max tracking speed. Though the tracking speed on the G400 sensor is already more than enough for even a low sensitivity gamer who does large fast sweeps of the mouse.

Whether it is better to hold depends on your individual preference and particular anatomy. It seems odd to worry about the quality of the feet but ignore the fact that the mouse is extremely heavy. If it is a smooth and effortless glide you are after, then you should not go for the G500 anyway.

The positioning of the sensor is something you can get used to, but you may not want to. Depending on the types of game you play and how much your mouse movements are etched into your hands muscly memory it may be a little hassle at first. Imagine having the sensor at the palm of your hand like most mice. Now rotate your hand to the left and right using your wrist. Notice that the sensor in your palm does not move much. Now imagine the sensor is located more towards the front, like between your index and middle finger. Rotate your hand from left to right again using your wrist. Notice that the sensor between your fingers covers much more distance. This is why the sensor in the G500 will feel odd at first. But the difference is subtle enough to only be noticeable by people who play the same games relatively hardcore over a long period of time. Others I imagine will adjust to it automatically.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, thanks for the reply.

So the better specs of the G500 add little and aren't really needed.

I mentioned the feet as apparently on the G500 they're like Teflon? Although the 400 might have it and i might be thinking of the M500
biggrin.gif

Is there any reason why the 500 is better than the 400?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:

I mentioned the feet as apparently on the G500 they're like Teflon? Although the 400 might have it and i might be thinking of the M500
biggrin.gif

Well in the end it is all personal preference I guess. I am sure there are some people who prefer the G500 over the G400. Sometimes people can be odd in their preferences, and not play any game (or not play it seriously enough) that actually demands a superior sensor.

An example would be someone who plays a lot of MMO's on high sensitivity and spends a lot of time browsing the web. He might like the extra button, not care about the weight and really benefit from the smooth scroll. Someone who plays Counter Strike: Global Offensive for 3 hours a day with a low sensitivity and a preference for large cloth mats would without a doubt be better off with the G400. Etc. There is no wrong choice, just make sure your choice fits your wants and needs.

I would not say that the G500 has better specs. I mean, there are better specs on the box, that is for sure. But when you get down to it and look at the specification for the mouse and the features of the sensor I would argue that technically, the G400 pulls ahead for most people.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote:

biggrin.gif

It depends on you. The performance of the G500 is quite good, has enough memory for many profiles without the software running in the background, and it does have extra scrolling capabilities. The body is a bit bigger than the G400 and the grips have a different texture (like sandpaper). The G500 is also heavier, the wire is prone to kinking up, and using the scroll wheel as a button can be a bit unpleasant. The sensor may also present some acceleration issues on but I feel it hasn't gotten in the way of my gaming experiences. It certainly didn't give me negative acceleration on the cloth pads I've used it on but it can happen for others people.

The G400 is cheaper, lighter, and has a decent scroll wheel and the mouse performs great on almost any mousing surface. It does need the software to run in the background for personalized settings but it's pretty light on resources. There's also some issue about the cable being thin so that may be something to look out for.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd like to think I'd use the extra button, but if i have macro keys on my keyboard, i guess i'll be ok.

I'm not a heavy gamer, but i just want a quality mouse performs well, doesn't give me cramps and where I don't have to pick it up when I move it....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hold on! The G500 has increased to £45 on Amazon. Whereas the G400 is £25.

I have a £15 Amazon voucher, and I've been refunded £10 on my case and I might be saving £30 on my psu. Means I could get the G400 and the Microsoft X4 for £5!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts