Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a Pentium 820 able to handle Games good and OC.... cuase i can get one for 160$. Plz tell me anything bad about ... THANKS

i want to know if its GOOD overall aswell

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostSlash

Is a Pentium 820 able to handle Games good and OC.... cuase i can get one for 160$. Plz tell me anything bad about ... THANKS

i want to know if its GOOD overall aswell

Yea, that's a really good processor for the price, they retail around 245+ so yea, I would say take it. For OCing, I wouldn't expect too much unless you have decent cooling.. Around 3.5 if your temps are down and you have a decent motherboard.

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
The only problem that I can see with this particular processor is that it does not support EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology). This means that it can not reduce voltage and clock speeds when it is not being used. This would save power and decrease thermal output. It is not extremely important but it is good to have.

As for the processor itself yes its a good processor, 90nm technology with a decent amount of cache.
As this processor is a dual core not all of its processing power can be put to use in many applications, as they can not use two physical cores efficiently.
Another thing to think about is that you are sharing a 800MHz FSB speed (200MHz bus) with two processors that will both want a decent amount of bandwith for data transfer. This means that less bandwith can be sent to each processor as it will be shared (depending on each core usage).

Apart from these points its a very good processor, especially for its price.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i have on of the 820 and a 840. but i havent put themm in to the the same setups so i cant really tell you that one is noticable faster then the other one accuretly. i can tell you that a 840 in a p5nd2sli deluxe is a TON faster then a 820 in a p5ld2 deluxe. when folding with two apps going the 820 will seem real laggy. maybe a differant story if i put in the good board. hope that helps. oh yeah i can get it to 3.4ghz easly on air, but its HOT HOT HOT (high 60's full load cranked up but auto volt).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts