Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a significant performance increase with 6gbs? my mobo supports it and I just dropped my backup drive. So I am asking because I am thinking of getting a new drive and making my current drive my backup drive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,051 Posts
No difference in mechanical drives.
Only a difference in SSD's if both the motherboard and the drive support the standard.

At the moment, that's only the C300, of which will increase to ~355 MB/sec in sequential reads over a normal ~265 MB/sec using SATA II.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;12017722
No difference in mechanical drives.
Only a difference in SSD's if both the motherboard and the drive support the standard.

At the moment, that's only the C300, of which will increase to ~355 MB/sec in sequential reads over a normal ~265 MB/sec using SATA II.
Thats what I wanted to know but wasnt sure since they sell sata 6 drives now a days
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,051 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of a marketing gimmick.
You may get 6 Gbps from the SATA controller to the IO board of the HDD, but you're still limited from the mechanical aspect of how fast the drive can pull data off of the platters. This tends to be around ~90-115 MB/sec on more modern drives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;12017751
Yeah, it's kind of a marketing gimmick.
You may get 6 Gbps from the SATA controller to the IO board of the HDD, but you're still limited from the mechanical aspect of how fast the drive can pull data off of the platters. This tends to be around ~90-115 MB/sec on more modern drives.
I dont get close the 90 when I xfer data
frown.gif
More like 40mb/s. At least thats what windows reported
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,051 Posts
From where to where?
If you're transferring files on the same drive, you're going to lose a lot due to the RW head moving around.

IIRC 640 Black should be up there at 80+. My 750 Blacks do something like 85-90 MB/sec each..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,318 Posts
well how old are the drives. are they getting trim , what drivers u using ? all contbute in speeds of drives also how full are they, For testing I use Old atto. old and everyone knows it. or for ssds i use as ssd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from my sig drive to a caviar blue 320gb. Both plugged directly to the board.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,051 Posts
You're likely limited by the write speed of the 320 in this case.
Before I bought the C300 I had a 320g WD in my rig, transfers over gigabit RAID 5 storage (250 MB/sec reads) to the drive were only ~50 MB/sec or so..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
Quote:


Yeah, it's kind of a marketing gimmick.
You may get 6 Gbps from the SATA controller to the IO board of the HDD, but you're still limited from the mechanical aspect of how fast the drive can pull data off of the platters. This tends to be around ~90-115 MB/sec on more modern drives.

Seriously I don't consider SATA6 any kind of marketing gimmick.

If the consumer doesn't know that drives being SATA 6GB/s doesn't mean they'll achieve those speeds it's a consumer (un)education problem.

Sorry but as usual I consider most consumers uneducated and it's not any else's problem except their own.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,051 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Old Hippie
View Post

Seriously I don't consider SATA6 any kind of marketing gimmick.

How is it not a marketing gimmick on mechanical hard drives?

The drive will NEVER even come close to saturating SATA 3 Gbps speeds, why even go through the effort of putting a SATA 6 Gbps controller on the drive other than the sake of taking advantage of the less-than-informed user base?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by beers
View Post

How is it not a marketing gimmick on mechanical hard drives?

The drive will NEVER even come close to saturating SATA 3 Gbps speeds, why even go through the effort of putting a SATA 6 Gbps controller on the drive other than the sake of taking advantage of the less-than-informed user base?

I second this opinion not only because I didnt know but because most consumers arent educated about every computer part. I mean I have built a few rigs and there is still alot of stuff I dont know. If all consumers were educated this forum wouldnt exist as it does really.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
Also, most customers, when seeing larger numbers, expect larger transfer rates (or better performance in general).
But I totally agree, a little bit of google and researching goes a long way for everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Wheezo
View Post

Also, most customers, when seeing larger numbers, expect larger transfer rates (or better performance in general).
But I totally agree, a little bit of google and researching goes a long way for everyone.

well when google fails ocn never does. And I did google this couldnt seem to find a difinitive answer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ckybam3
View Post

well when google fails ocn never does. And I did google this couldnt seem to find a difinitive answer.

True dat. OCN for all the win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by beers
View Post

How is it not a marketing gimmick on mechanical hard drives?

The drive will NEVER even come close to saturating SATA 3 Gbps speeds, why even go through the effort of putting a SATA 6 Gbps controller on the drive other than the sake of taking advantage of the less-than-informed user base?

Sorry....I saw the same thing with SATAI and II and considered that to be a consumer education problem.

I saw the exact same questions.

The problem seems to be that people don't realize that changing the "speed limit" higher doesn't make their "car" any faster.

I consider that an education problem.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top