Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is more important for good framerates with anti-aliasing. Or is it a thing where they work equally together for it?

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
I believe it's the GPU, at least that's what I've noticed in my Source games.
Source games do a lot of their graphical work on the processor. That is why I can't max out TF2. A 5770 should do that easily.

But generally most graphical work is done on the GPU.

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,524 Posts
gpu

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
GP- oh, looks like I've been beaten to it.

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by channelx99 View Post
I always thought resolution is more cpu and antialiasing is gpu?
No, it is all gpu. Also, having a higher amount of Gfx memory helps you to game at higher res.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
resolution is nearly all gpu, as is Anti Alias. You need increasingly more GPU memory as you increase your AA also.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
resolution is nearly all gpu, as is Anti Alias. You need increasingly more GPU memory as you increase your AA also.
Actually, higher resolutions rely more on GPU than do lower resolutions. 1680x1050 is the middle ground, where eye candy needs to be turned up to fully drive your GPU.

Less than that will rely more on CPU than the GPU. At higher resolutions the GPU will see more work even without the eye candy.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Actually, higher resolutions rely more on GPU than do lower resolutions. 1680x1050 is the middle ground, where eye candy needs to be turned up to fully drive your GPU.

Less than that will rely more on CPU than the GPU. At higher resolutions the GPU will see more work even without the eye candy.
thats what i am saying.

Resolution is the easiest way to increase load on your GPU, because the cpu still has to render and compute everything that is off screen.

Lowering you resolution doesnt put more load on the cpu, it just lowers the amount done by the GPU.

This varies by game though, some games use the CPU to handle certain tasks that another game might use the GPU to do.

When in doubt, assume that the GPU is taking the bulk of the work.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Quote:

thats what i am saying.

Resolution is the easiest way to increase load on your GPU, because the cpu still has to render and compute everything that is off screen.

**Snip**
That wasn't how I interpreted it -

Quote:

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
That wasn't how I interpreted it -
thats how it is, Resolution is nearly all GPU, somethings are still handled by the CPU, it depends game to game what is. But as resolutions increase, the load increases on the GPU more than does the CPU, by alot.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Vhati and Ganja, you're both incorrect. Although Vhati expressed an answer that was very close to accurate

If we assume that the proper answer to the OP is 'GPU', which seems to be the consensus ... then Resolution is also 'GPU' in the context of this discussion.

EXACTLY like with AA, the only effect that lowering the resolution has on the CPU is that it makes your GPU run the game faster, which in turn makes your CPU work harder.

IOW, resolution is no different than other image quality settings that similarly impact load on the GPU. As I say, AA also falls into this category ... they are both GPU things.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
CPU comes into play when the GPU has to work hard and thus needs to be fed information quickly enough in order to keep up. The CPU does this feeding.

There are certain games which seem to load on the CPU a fair bit, the source engine is one of them due to the way it has been written. It is probably done on purpose to be honest so that people don't need to have really expensive GPU's to run source games.

I could max out CSS @ 1280*1024 with a PD 3Ghz and a 7600GT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts