Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So currently I own an Asus M5A97 (see SIG rig) and was looking at an Asus Crosshair III 790FX online.
My main question is will I see any performance increases (or decreases) if I dropped my M5A97 for the 790FX?

I do over clock my CPU and the rig is primarily used for gaming.

Thanks in advance guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i just thought for the better power phase and a more aesthetically pleasing board i just wondered if there was any performance differences
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthenshaw View Post

So currently I own an Asus M5A97 (see SIG rig) and was looking at an Asus Crosshair III 790FX online.
My main question is will I see any performance increases (or decreases) if I dropped my M5A97 for the 790FX?

I do over clock my CPU and the rig is primarily used for gaming.

Thanks in advance guys.
I have a dumb question, your going to replace your M5A97 970 chip set motherboard for an older 790FX 790 chip set motherboard?
Can't see how that would improve performance at all, might stay the same.
Why replace with an older motherboard anyway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
because my friend may be buying my m5a97. and since i have no plans to go to an AM3+ chip any time soon i thought i may aswell. also the crosshair board has crossfire, which the m5a97 doesnt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthenshaw View Post

because my friend may be buying my m5a97. and since i have no plans to go to an AM3+ chip any time soon i thought i may as well. also the crosshair board has crossfire, which the m5a97 doesnt.
A 890FX or 890GX might be the best investment, some of those motherboards (the latest revisions), came with am3+ sockets.
So you should still be able to use your AMD 955 cpu and be able to easily upgrade to an FX cpu in the future.
 

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthenshaw View Post

because my friend may be buying my m5a97. and since i have no plans to go to an AM3+ chip any time soon i thought i may aswell. also the crosshair board has crossfire, which the m5a97 doesnt.
Crossfire doesn't require multi-gpu certified motherboard. I would aim for crosshair IV formula. Used ones cost about the same as CIIIF. And the best part is that CIVF can run Vishera (or even steamroller in the future).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawelr98 View Post

Crossfire doesn't require multi-gpu certified motherboard. I would aim for crosshair IV formula. Used ones cost about the same as CIIIF. And the best part is that CIVF can run Vishera (or even steamroller in the future).
My current board doesnt support multi GPU though, and the 790FX was on ebay cheap.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top