Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if I can still run games rolled out in 2016/17 using my intel 2600k. My grafic card is Sapphire HD 7950 Oc Edition and 8GB ddr3 1600Mhz.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'll leave a few videos from DigitalFoundry here. They compared it to newer CPUs so you can decide for yourself if you want to spend money for the difference it makes in todays games:

Stock clocks
OC

·
Registered
661 Posts
You should be fine although you will notice a HUGE difference if you will upgrade your GPU when the new generation comes out. And also getting faster RAM, like 2133mhz will help allot with your minimum FPS and overclock it to 4.5 GHZ at least.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetyhunter View Post

You should be fine although you will notice a HUGE difference if you will upgrade your GPU when the new generation comes out. And also getting faster RAM, like 2133mhz will help allot with your minimum FPS and overclock it to 4.5 GHZ at least.
Yep. I think this is good advice.
smile.gif

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetyhunter View Post

Thanks for your advice! I had a HD 7950 Crossfire but last month it was necessary to sell one. I supposed I still had this crossfire it would be much better to run these games.

·
Premium Member
20,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedore View Post

Thanks for your advice! I had a HD 7950 Crossfire but last month it was necessary to sell one. I supposed I still had this crossfire it would be much better to run these games.
Got a 2700K, which is pretty much a 2600K and at 4.5 has no issue pushing both my 290s. a 290 is about 20% faster than a 7950. These are the limit me thinks - 2 290s no more. Or a single next gen gpu that is about equal to my 290s. Two or more, then time for the next gen cpu.

Oh, btw, i tried a 5820K but went back to my sandy. Did not feel that my gpus warrant it. If i have two Furys or 980Tis, then for sure i would have kept it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yeah a 2600k is definitely good for modern gaming. I wouldn't say an upgrade is vital.

• Rep+
Reactions: Gedore

·
Registered
329 Posts
2600 is not bad at all, if you compare skylake vs sandy bridge, its 100% down to frame stutter, frame times, the gab between max fps and avg fps is small. its about micro stutter.

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Computewise it is the equivalent of skylake i3's(6100 OC'ed), however 2600k has 8 threads in which it can process and thus is the smoother cpu.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm still happy with my 2500K Sandy for gaming paired with a 980. Bestest CPU ever. (IMO)...
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1LL View Post

I'll leave a few videos from DigitalFoundry here. They compared it to newer CPUs so you can decide for yourself if you want to spend money for the difference it makes in todays games:

Stock clocks
OC
I found this article / videos earlier today. I couldn't believe how much difference the RAM at 2133 made over 1600 on a 2500K @ 4.6. I was going to add another 8GB to my setup, but I believe I'll purchase a new set of 16GB 2133 instead.

My 2500K still plays most games pretty well, however per the video I believe I'll keep an eye out for a decently priced 3770K. I believe the video said the average minimum fps was around 30-40% higher on the 3770k when compared to the 2500k. I'm still happy with my mobo and I'd rather pay $200 for an upgrade to an I7 as opposed to $550-600 for a new setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts