Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So I've had this rig for a while now but have only noticed this problem now as I've changed a few things. I bought a new case Coolermaster haf 932 and added an EK dual bay res with flow indicator to my loop. My setup is:

Thermaltake 360 rad
Swiftech mcp 655 pump
EK supreme waterblock on cpu
swiftech waterblock on north bridge
EK dual bay res with flow indicator

Problem is the flow is not even strong enough to move the flow indicator or produce the waterfall effect this res produces. See what I mean on youtube



Ive never noticed this flow problem before as I never used a res and just had a T line in my loop. Now its apparent there is a flow problem and I think the EK supreme may be too restrictive. I was thinking of buying another block but dont want to run into the same problem so has anyone used the Swiftech Apogee GTZ CPU Waterblock? Are they restrictive like the EK supreme? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,237 Posts
Do you know when they came out with the new version? How can I tell if I have the new or old version?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,148 Posts
They have the Supreme HF (high flow) that I am running and I have great pressure (I have a GPU block and 120 + 360 rads. If the flow meter isn't moving at all then could be a few things. Are you sure your pump IS working? Are there any kinks in your tubes? Any chance something got into your loop and is now blocking the rad or block?
 

·
Village Idiot
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
AFAIK it's not a very restrictive block. If you get a GTZ your temps will go up. Your pump is more than enough for any block on the market.

Thermaltake radiator though? That should be replaced...
 

·
Unwilling Beta tester
Joined
·
7,188 Posts
Well, Skinnee did a comparison which includes the Supreme, Supreme LT and Supreme HF. The plain Supreme has the most restriction (hover mouse over first bar chart), but even so with a decent pump you should be getting reasonable flow rates.

Check the things RatDog mentioned, make sure that your loop is well bled (no air in rads) and see what happens
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,945 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by seannsb
View Post

well as far as i know they made to versions of that block the second one said to be 50% better flow.

EK actually produces 4 versions, but performance and restriction wise they are the same. I think what you are referring to are the interchangeable injection plates that come with every block.

The plates are named P1 - P4, with P1 offering the best temperatures and P4 offering the best flow rates. Changing them requires you to take the block apart and replace a small piece of metal.

Although for almost every scenario, the extra restriction the P1 plates has is totally worth the decrease in temperatures.

Overall, the EK Supreme HF is not very restrictive, especially when compared to other blocks in it's category. (Rasa, Apogee XT, HK 3.0)

The reason you don't have that much flow is almost certainly not the CPU block. You have a kink somewhere in your tubing or you are running your pump dry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by RatDog
View Post

They have the Supreme HF (high flow) that I am running and I have great pressure (I have a GPU block and 120 + 360 rads. If the flow meter isn't moving at all then could be a few things. Are you sure your pump IS working? Are there any kinks in your tubes? Any chance something got into your loop and is now blocking the rad or block?

Defo not a blockage and pump is running fine. It's not the res flow indicator either as when i get an air bubble into the res it spins. When I first put liquid in the loop I noticed all the restriction was at the EK supreme. It took a long time to get all the air out of it too. I run from Ek supreme to the swiftech block. I might try 2 Y connectors and run directly to the swiftech and EK. If I'm right about the EK the water should run through the swiftech quicker as it doesnt have to depend on it coming out of the EK and the res should spin. Will let you know what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by charliehorse55
View Post

EK actually produces 4 versions, but performance and restriction wise they are the same. I think what you are referring to are the interchangeable injection plates that come with every block.

The plates are named P1 - P4, with P1 offering the best temperatures and P4 offering the best flow rates. Changing them requires you to take the block apart and replace a small piece of metal.

Although for almost every scenario, the extra restriction the P1 plates has is totally worth the decrease in temperatures.

Overall, the EK Supreme HF is not very restrictive, especially when compared to other blocks in it's category. (Rasa, Apogee XT, HK 3.0)

The reason you don't have that much flow is almost certainly not the CPU block. You have a kink somewhere in your tubing or you are running your pump dry.

Running my pump dry? What can I try please to sort this out?
 

·
Performance is the bible
Joined
·
7,191 Posts
I'm not sure which version of the EK supreme you are talking about.
There is the old version, there is a LT version, and the HF version. The latter you can change the plates, from a more restrictive to a lesser one. And it depends on your system, pump and radaitor as well.

I have the HF version, and its not restrictive at all for a cpu only loop.
 

·
Unwilling Beta tester
Joined
·
7,188 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by charliehorse55
View Post

EK actually produces 4 versions, but performance and restriction wise they are the same.

EK Supreme
EK Supreme LT
EK Supreme HF (nickel / copper, plexi / acetal)
EK Supreme HF Full (nickel / copper / gold)

The first three actually perform very differently, especially where restriction is concerned. Check Skinnee's comparison, there is almost a 30% difference in flow rates between the Supreme and Supreme HF (plate #1).

OP, which version do you have? Post a pic if you are not sure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,945 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by web-blade
View Post

Defo not a blockage and pump is running fine. It's not the res flow indicator either as when i get an air bubble into the res it spins. When I first put liquid in the loop I noticed all the restriction was at the EK supreme. It took a long time to get all the air out of it too. I run from Ek supreme to the swiftech block. I might try 2 Y connectors and run directly to the swiftech and EK. If I'm right about the EK the water should run through the swiftech quicker as it doesnt have to depend on it coming out of the EK and the res should spin. Will let you know what happens.

All this will prove is that a CPU block is more restrictive than a radiator, which is true of any CPU block.

Also, maybe there is something wrong with the CPU block? A blockage, a badly installed injection plate? Did you accidentally put the blank injection plate in? (That would be funny!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by GingerJohn
View Post

EK Supreme
EK Supreme LT
EK Supreme HF (nickel / copper, plexi / acetal)
EK Supreme HF Full (nickel / copper / gold)

The first three actually perform very differently, especially where restriction is concerned. Check Skinnee's comparison, there is almost a 30% difference in flow rates between the Supreme and Supreme HF (plate #1).

OP, which version do you have? Post a pic if you are not sure.

I have the first version EK supreme.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by charliehorse55
View Post

All this will prove is that a CPU block is more restrictive than a radiator, which is true of any CPU block.

Also, maybe there is something wrong with the CPU block? A blockage, a badly installed injection plate? Did you accidentally put the blank injection plate in? (That would be funny!)

LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
would deffinetly look for a blockage somewhere that you cant see. sounds alot more like a pump problem not creating the pressure it should. if you have another pump id try it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:


Originally Posted by seannsb
View Post

would deffinetly look for a blockage somewhere that you cant see. sounds alot more like a pump problem not creating the pressure it should. if you have another pump id try it.

Ive no other pump only one but it is inside a res. I may check everything. May I have put my inlet hose on the outlet port on the cpu block by mistake?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,945 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GingerJohn
View Post

EK Supreme
EK Supreme LT
EK Supreme HF (nickel / copper, plexi / acetal)
EK Supreme HF Full (nickel / copper / gold)

The first three actually perform very differently, especially where restriction is concerned. Check Skinnee's comparison, there is almost a 30% difference in flow rates between the Supreme and Supreme HF (plate #1).

OP, which version do you have? Post a pic if you are not sure.

That's not what I meant. Versions of the Supreme HF as in:

EK Supreme HF Plexi + Copper
EK Supreme HF Plexi + Nickel
EK Supreme HF Full Nickel
EK Supreme HF Full Copper
EK Supreme HF Acetal + Copper
EK Supreme HF Acetal + Nickel

So actually, 6 versions. The full Gold/Chrome/Other metal version are specialized mods, some of which are done by EK, some by third parties.

EDIT: The OP has the original Supreme, which is quite restrictive. Upgrading to the XSPC Rasa, Supreme HF Full Nickel, or Apogee XT wouldn't be a bad idea. Although I still think that he has some other problem to cause such low flow rates.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top