Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey stormlobster here. I am a 16 year old junior in high school. I am in AP Calculus AB, Physics, AP Chemistry, AP US History, College Prep English, and French IV. I have about a 3.4 GPA and I scored 2138 on the PSAT. I was thinking about career choices and I am really considering engineering, probably computer engineering. I am just not sure how good of a career choice that is. I would assume a job like that is very susceptible to outsourcing and I have no idea what engineers get paid. I also heard that OSU is a good undergrad engineering school. Does anyone else think so? Any engineers here that want to give me advice? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Engineering is one of the most versatile careers out there. The only thing is that you will often be in "job hunt mode", but depending on your skills you may (and most likely will) be able to land a desirable stable and high paying job. For a high profile career such as engineering (any kind of engeeniring) you have to move around and look for were the best employment opportunities are. Not an engineer myself, since I find the required math daunting, but that's just a sorry excuse for my own laziness and complaciency
Go for it; it's one of the best careers out there. There are many subfields for engineering so take your pick.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Engineering is a great career choice. As Melcar said, it will land you a good job, and be relatively high paying! Engineering is something that will never go out, since new solutions to problems are always needed. I am a computer and electrical engineering student myself, and it is fun taking classes in which you work with stuff you like. Next semester I get (have) to take a 'computer architecture' class, which is basically how processors work! The math and science can be hard, but it will be worth it. And no, engineering is not outsourced very often. Computer science careers, yes. Engineering, no. Good luck in the future!

Edit: By OSU do you mean The Ohio State University? Ugh.......lol (Iowa Hawkeye here!)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol yeah im a buckeye. What kind of math is involved with computer engineering? Are there any classes you recommend?

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Well, my math track included calculus, 3d calculus, matrix algebra, differential equations, and vector calc. Basically take ALL the math and science classes you can. Computer classes will be very helpful as well. My roomate took a networking class at a community college, and that gave him a bit of a head start. Depending on if you want to do computer software engineering, or hardware, take either programming classes, or circuit analysis classes.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
I have an honest question -- What are some basic jobs for a typical/experienced computer engineer can do?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Engineering Physics here. I'm going to be taking Quantum Computing next semester

As far as engineering goes. What's been said is true, mostly true, anyway. The type of engineering you choose makes a difference.

Case-and-point. Me and my friend. I'm a engineering physics major. He's a petroleum engineer. I'll get a masters and make ~50-70k. He's going to be making >70k with a B.S. BUT PE is something that you HAVE to love. So I'd just say this to add:

Make sure you want to be an engineer before you start. The money is worth it but it is very difficult to get the degree.

(Eg. Freshmen year half the students that were in AP Calc etc. in high school flunked out of college.)
(Eg.2 I spend more than 50-60 hours e v e r y week on homework. Every week. That's normal. At least for my school.)

EDIT: If this doesn't make sense it's not my fault. 6 hours straight on a Math Phys homework assignment will do that to the English language.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shajbot
View Post

I have an honest question -- What are some basic jobs for a typical/experienced computer engineer can do?

A typical one would design computer networks for a company, or write software for a company. For example, large corporations tend to use their own software for mail, document processing, record keeping, etc. Also programming coponents of vehicles and machines. A more advanced computer engineer would work for Intel or AMD in design, or maybe Microsoft working on new advanced OS code.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by splat00n
View Post

work at school for like 20 bucks an hour. starting.

Just because I completed my freshman year of engineering, I made $15.70 an hour last summer

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dont worry im used to that kind of hw load i usually get 4 hours worth weekdays and about 8 on sunday night
so that would probably equate to what ur doing in college. how many years did it take you to get your masters? and where did you go?

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
I'm only a sophmore, but i'll be here 5 years, since I am doing a double major with music! Here at Iowa they guarantee that you will get your BS in 4 years (or else you get special registration treatment) and 2 extra years to get MS. And yes, the HW is insane sometimes. Lots and lots of work.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh and yeah, would you say that most engineering students are the smart but not do much work kind or just plain hard workers. I consider myself moderately smart but i put in tons of work to get where i am.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdattilo
View Post

A typical one would design computer networks for a company, or write software for a company. For example, large corporations tend to use their own software for mail, document processing, record keeping, etc. Also programming coponents of vehicles and machines. A more advanced computer engineer would work for Intel or AMD in design, or maybe Microsoft working on new advanced OS code.

Are you certain? Because that sounds like a job of a programmer -- computer science.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Are you certain? Because that sounds like a job of a programmer -- computer science.

No, the engineer figures out how it will work, the programmer just follows instructions. Engineer designs algorithm, programmer executes. Thats why all the computer science jobs are in India now.......all they need is instructions which come from the engineers here in the US.

Edit: Going to sleep now, but feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions!

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thats the thing, engineering is so broad that you can do almost anything with your degree. A lot of what is stressed is the engineering "mentality". That is, how to think to solve problems. Of course you can be a programmer with an engineering degree and concentrate on that, but I think if you want to maximize your degree, you would manage projects as a software engineer, or be a systems engineer for the hardware that integrates with the software.

I am interning at an electro-hydraulic controller manufacturer and I do a lot of software. But I also work on integrating the system with the hardware (i.e. the physical valves). That means lots of system modeling and analysis on the vehicles themselves. Pretty fun, but totally different from what you might get at, say, Nvidia. However, the EECE degree gives you the possibility to go in both directions.

I would say if you were looking for class ideas, first determine what you want to go into. If you like the software side, you can concentrate on those courses. I like hardware (ALU, Logic, and Low-End design) so I am taking courses classes that deal with that. But you can go into things like controllers as well, which is like a universe unto itself.

Either way, expect to take Calc 1-3, Diff Eq., Linear Systems, Digital Systems, Analog Systems, Electromagnetic Fields in addition to any electives you want.

BTW -- Im a junior in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering and getting a Minor in Computer Science. So if it deals with computers, I plan on knowing it. =D

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
I am an ME major (freshman) and it's fun, I haven't had any tough classes yet, but you would be starting out with more advanced classes since you have AP calc going already as a junior(!). It's a good field though. I should be getting a summer co-op position this summer which should teach me a lot more about it as well. It would be $26 an hour starting pay too, as a freshman! So you can imagine after you graduate.
It is fun but hard work is involved no matter what.

• Rep+
Reactions: stormlobster

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
i'm a 3rd year civil major, with an concentration in business management as well, i attend one of the most prestigious civil schools in canada (scraped my way in
), and will be here for a few hours, PM me if you have any other questions. Some of the first year math and physics are really a biatch, but once you get to upper year the stuff you do is really cool, last week my buddies mid term was to write his own kernel. yah 1 question, 30% of mark, write a kernel. Go.
My midterm for structural design was also one quesition, it had a detailed diagram of a two story building, and weather conditions, (ie snow wind and rain loads) and i had to determine the thickness of the beams, columns, joists and girders in this buildings construction. pretty neat shiat really.

Edit: also, last i checked there is no 'computer engineering' at least not in Canada. there are computer scientists (not engineers) and there are four types of engineers in the same field, systems engineering (mostly hardware type stuff), software engineers (mostly software), electronic engineering, ans finally mechatronics engineering. (systems + mechanical + electronics = ROBOTS & Uber-nerds!)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stormlobster
View Post

dont worry im used to that kind of hw load i usually get 4 hours worth weekdays and about 8 on sunday night
so that would probably equate to what ur doing in college. how many years did it take you to get your masters? and where did you go?

No. It doesn't equate. At all. Not in the slightest. That's 6 hours tonight. Not to mention the 4 hours last night. That's just one assignment. From one class. For one week. Here's my course list:
Graduate Math Physics (I'm an undergrad, it's required for a 5 year program)
Mythology: A historical approach (I have a 3-5 page paper due every two days)
Solid State Physics
Senior Design
C++ (Ok, it's my easy course)
Yoga (Ok, this is my easy course)

For those of you counting that's 5 homework assignments, minimum, a week. My SSP professor decided to double that this week and we had two this week. Granted the second one was only two pages worth of problems.

Also the same class at a college level is harder than at a HS level. Regardless if it's AP or any other advanced class.

Like you said though. It's more hard work than being just smart. Everyone around you is smart. It's not enough.

EDIT: I attend Colorado School of Mines. It just churns out engineers. You may not have heard of it but if you work for an engineering firm you will/have. If you haven't heard of CSM you've probably have heard of Colorado University in Boulder Colorado "CU Boulder". It was ranked the biggest partying school in the US a couple years ago. Well. We're about 20 minutes from there. When we graduate we make an EASY 10k more than them. Regardless of the field.

EDIT2: One of the best things about being an engineer about to graduate right now is that the industry is hurting so bad for us that some/most of us get signing bonuses. My PE friend is getting 76k and a 10k signing bonus. That's what a B.S. can do for you.

• Rep+
Reactions: stormlobster

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRISKbaby
View Post

No. It doesn't equate. At all. Not in the slightest. That's 6 hours tonight. Not to mention the 4 hours last night. That's just one assignment. From one class. For one week. Here's my course list:
Graduate Math Physics (I'm an undergrad, it's required for a 5 year program)
Mythology: A historical approach (I have a 3-5 page paper due every two days)
Solid State Physics
Senior Design
C++ (Ok, it's my easy course)
Yoga (Ok, this is my easy course)

For those of you counting that's 5 homework assignments, minimum, a week. My SSP professor decided to double that this week and we had two this week. Granted the second one was only two pages worth of problems.

Also the same class at a college level is harder than at a HS level. Regardless if it's AP or any other advanced class.

Like you said though. It's more hard work than being just smart. Everyone around you is smart. It's not enough.

EDIT: I attend Colorado School of Mines. It just churns out engineers. You may not have heard of it but if you work for an engineering firm you will/have. If you haven't heard of CSM you've probably have heard of Colorado University in Boulder Colorado "CU Boulder". It was ranked the biggest partying school in the US a couple years ago. Well. We're about 20 minutes from there. When we graduate we make an EASY 10k more than them. Regardless of the field.

HOLY CRAP THAT IS INTENSE! I thought i had it bad. but then again, how much tiem do you spend in class everyday? Im there from 6am to 3pm then I weightlift, go to my job some days, then I do homework.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts