Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound kind of stupid but I've never played Final Fantasy before and was wondering if it was that good of a game. I'm planning on getting a DSi (I would get a DS Lite but I don't have any GameBoy games and my sister already has one) but I don't know what games to get. I wanted to know if Final Fantasy was worth the cash. Any version. Whichever one was most pleasing to you. Also, other game recommendations would be nice. I'm already planning on getting Pokemon so no need to recommend that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Best series I've ever played, hands down. My favorites are 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, and tactics. If you can get past the outdated graphics, these games are literally some of the best story wise. Play 9 if you can, that one is my all-time favorite.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockZoR IV
View Post

Isnt final fantasy a bit like pokemon for grown ups?

I remember going round to my mates and it played like pokemon.

Yeah, they're both technically turn based games so there are many similarities. The story is what separates them, but FF's combat system is more in-depth as well.

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockZoR IV
View Post

Isnt final fantasy a bit like pokemon for grown ups?

I remember going round to my mates and it played like pokemon.

This. I can't tell if it's because I'm simply addicted or because they're actually good games. I've played FF 7, 8, 9, 10, and 10-2, and of those, the only one I've disliked is 9. I'm not sure if it's because of the storyline, gameplay, consol, or because I have more friends my age that play it (I'm 22). All I know is that the FF series rocks.

If you've ever played games like Suikoden, Legend of Legaia, Xenogears, etc., it plays kind of like those games, except much MUCH longer.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The important thing to remember~ is that every Final Fantasy is its own 'contained' storyline.

None of them truly cite each other, and each can be experienced on their own without needing the one prior. Their engines are different in almost every game, with the later games pushing away from more sweeping storylines to small, character based dialogues (FFXIII drowns you in this~).

They also are pushing away from classic turn based combat, and are trying for more real time engines since younger gamers seem to favor them. If you disliked one Final Fantasy, do not scorn the others~ since they are very different.

The Super NES FFs are considered some of the best in the series, though not flawless FFIV and FFVI are one of the most revered in the series besides FFVII.

·
Jack-of-all-trades
1,755 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridCore
View Post

This may sound kind of stupid but I've never played Final Fantasy before and was wondering if it was that good of a game. I'm planning on getting a DSi (I would get a DS Lite but I don't have any GameBoy games and my sister already has one) but I don't know what games to get. I wanted to know if Final Fantasy was worth the cash. Any version. Whichever one was most pleasing to you. Also, other game recommendations would be nice. I'm already planning on getting Pokemon so no need to recommend that.

if you are into rpgs, final fantasy is really a very safe bet. absolutely fun. definitely recommended.

the people who "do not like" ff are usually the fans who have played ff all their lives and knows it inside out

if you can play the older ff games, i would suggest you do that too before jumping to the newer ones.

any ff on snes = awesome
ff 7 = my first "3D" ff awesome
ff 8-10 awesome
x-2 = ***? i still played it though.
tactics = looks like a chess game, awesome

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I like them all.

Except XII was garbage to me. Didn't play the online ones either.

9 and X were wayyyyy to easy for me.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxxa
View Post

Final Fantasy lost it's luster after FF-X on PS2. Any thing Pre FFX-2 is about as good as RPG's get in that era.

This, anything pre FFX-2 is good.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nethermir
View Post

any ff on snes = awesome

Except Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.....

That game was just terrible.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I would suggest DS lite. Get your hands on FF4/5/6/Tactics advance for the GBA, so this way you can play the DS final fantasys. Only ones I've play on DS is FF 4 heroes of light (still in the beginning) and FFtactics A2. All are fun games. I would suggest getting Dragon Quest IX too.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Final Fantasy Tactics is in my top 5 video games of all time. Most powerful character I've ever had the good fortune to control in any RPG was in this game....

THE CALCULATOR

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
FF7 for PS1 is one of the best games of all times in my opinion. I tried a few of the others but never really got into them. Something about 7 just makes it an all time classic for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joephis19
View Post

Final Fantasy Tactics is in my top 5 video games of all time. Most powerful character I've ever had the good fortune to control in any RPG was in this game....

THE CALCULATOR

Yeah FF tactics was a great game. I loved that one too.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
In the US, FFII and FFIII (4 and 6 to the rest of the world IIRC) are also in my top 5. Back in the glory days when subpar graphics technology was compensated for with epic, captivating storylines and characer development.

Just wish there were JRPG's on PC

1 - 20 of 54 Posts