Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a new monitor 27"+. I have been reading some here and there, and have heard good things about IPS panels. I would be using it for gaming/web surfing. I currently have a 22.5" samsung 2253BW specs here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001268 I used to play counterstrike 1.6 uber competitively, but now really just pub around with an occasional scrim here and there with old team mates/friends. I now play more sc2 than any other game and I dont think the response time matters nearly as much in sc2 as a fps like cs 1.6? Really, I just want to know is it worth the extra ~$500 or so for an IPS vs something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116441&cm_re=27%22_viewsonic-_-24-116-441-_-Product ? The higher resolutions of the IPS screens are really appealing to me, but the ~8ms response time could result in noticeable ghosting right? Basically I don't care about viewing angles, as this will be used as a dedicated desktop monitor and I will be sitting directly in front of it whenever it is in use. I am pretty new to this stuff, but greatly appreciate any insight you guys might have.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiees;11963451
The higher resolutions of the IPS screens are really appealing to me, but the ~8ms response time could result in noticeable ghosting right?
Actually, no. The input lag would be a problem rather than that, but newer IPS screens (like the HP ZR series, especially) have drastically lowered input lag to where there are minimal, if any, ghosting issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. One other quick question. I have been looking at the dell U3011 30" IPS max res 2560x1600. Would I be able to play games like sc2 at reasonable quality/fps with a single gtx 470? My cpu is a QX6850 running @ 3.66ghz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp;11963485
Actually, no. The input lag would be a problem rather than that, but newer IPS screens (like the HP ZR series, especially) have drastically lowered input lag to where there are minimal, if any, ghosting issues.
I have read imput lag is about ~24ms on the larger IPS screens. So if I were playing cs, it would take about a quarter of a second before my imputs would be registered onscreen? But ghosting would pretty much be a non issue? LOL just thinking about playing cs on a 30" makes me lulz. Especially because I play in 800x600 resolution.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiees;11963551
Thanks for the reply. One other quick question. I have been looking at the dell U3011 30" IPS max res 2560x1600. Would I be able to play games like sc2 at reasonable quality/fps with a single gtx 470? My cpu is a QX6850 running @ 3.66ghz
Probably. Check out reviews at places like Guru3D, HardwareCanucks, etc., and look at their test charts at that resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiees;11963551
I have read imput lag is about ~24ms on the larger IPS screens. So if I were playing cs, it would take about a quarter of a second before my imputs would be registered onscreen?
Nope, a tenth of a quarter of a second. Barely perceptible unless you were REALLY looking for it, so yes, ghosting shouldn't be an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,821 Posts
hell yes, once you try IPS, you won't ever want to use TN again

yes there's the input lag issue for gaming, but honestly most IPS monitors are not as bad as people make it seem, and besides, the pros far outweigh the con(s)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
In my personal opinion, IPS panel monitors are always worth the cost (if you can afford it) due to the gains in image quality associated with them. Certainly, TN panels have come a long way and while they are still the best as far as input lag goes, The input lag from modern IPS panels is negligible in most games.

Nevertheless, there are some models with better input lag than others. If you want to buy new, I would get an HP ZR30w if you are looking for a 30" (The U3011 is not bad, but its extra features including its large number of inputs and scaler increase input lag somewhat), or a Dell U2311H/U2211H if you want a smaller screen, as they are compareable to the TN monitors you listed in price. Additionally, if you are willing to buy used but want a 30", the Dell 3007WFP can be found for around $500 if you look hard enough, though it has only a single DVI input if that is one of your concerns. But all of these models have very reasonable input lag by IPS standards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,821 Posts
i used to have ultrasharp (u2311h) before my ZR24w, i am confident in saying that the ZR is a superior monitor.. they both have typical IPS backlight bleed, but the ZR has better response time/input lag and deeper whites/blacks, also, the U2xxx panels suffer from a tinting issue which I have not noticed on my ZR24w

so if it was me, i'd go for ZR30w over the U3011
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
I didnt really notice anything over my TN panel.... but then again i was comparing a rather older IPS panel (current sig monitor)

Worth the money? Not to me. but you cant get any decent res large monitor in TN....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I dont mind spending the extra money if I feel it is justified. I mean I just spent ~$450 on a topre keyboard after all the accesories. So if I feel the value is there, I don't mind dropping the extra money. The more I think about it, the more I think I will go IPS. I don't like the idea of getting a 27" TN for just a bigger screen (no increased resolution). Where if I go with a 30" IPS it will feel that much bigger because of the extra usable onscreen workspace.
Quote:
so if it was me, i'd go for ZR30w over the U3011
Thanks for the input. The only reason I began this quest in the first place was becase I saw a discount on the dell U3011 for $1049 + FS. Here we go again, another rabbit hole...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,085 Posts
I would say so. I noticed quite a big difference between my 2343BWX on my sig rig and the IPS display in my 24" iMac while playing Portal. Not sure how much the glossy screen played a role in that though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After doing some reading it seems the zr30w has little/unnoticeable ghosting/blur thanks to the lack of a OSD controls? This is very encouraging. Thank you very much for the input and suggestions they have been very helpful. The HP zr30w seems to be the best performance for the dollar (for 30 inch) for what I would like it to use it for.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiees;11966824
After doing some reading it seems the zr30w has little/unnoticeable ghosting/blur thanks to the lack of a OSD controls? This is very encouraging. Thank you very much for the input and suggestions they have been very helpful. The HP zr30w seems to be the best performance for the dollar (for 30 inch) for what I would like it to use it for.
Yeah gaming is great on it. As someone who can see the difference between 57fps and 60fps, I think that I'm at least decently qualified to comment on the response times for monitors. I can notice a tiny bit of lag when I wave around in CSS, but it's not enough to even bother me. I don't think it would affect anyones gaming performance, and probably won't be even noticeable to most people.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,951 Posts
The lag and response times of the U3011 are just fine. And this is coming from someone who still games mostly on CRTs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys this is helping my confidence to go ahead and pull the trigger. I am not expecting CRT refresh rates even thou that would be ideal (I noticed a big difference moving to LCD from my CRT). But was forced to because I played LAN tourneys that all used LCD. But those days are kind of behind me and I am not as concerned about my home rig simulating LAN scene.

Are there any other makes/models I should consider?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiees;11967903
Thanks guys this is helping my confidence to go ahead and pull the trigger. I am not expecting CRT refresh rates even thou that would be ideal (I noticed a big difference moving to LCD from my CRT). But was forced to because I played LAN tourneys that all used LCD. But those days are kind of behind me and I am not as concerned about my home rig simulating LAN scene.

Are there any other makes/models I should consider?
Only if you want to spend a lot more.
redface.gif


But yeah I "moved" to LCD a few months ago (from GDM-FW900's nonetheless), so I know all too well what you're worried about. But the truth is that there's no practical difference in response times between TN and IPS anymore, and all the marketed numbers are meaningless. Yes you will see ghosting, but it'll be about the same as what you see on a TN panel (even "2ms" ones). Input lag varies from model to model depending on the processing involved, but the ghosting difference is negligible.

And if you want my personal opinion on the whole thing, let me just put it this way: if it wasn't for these 30" IPS panels, I would never have switched. Yes there's ghosting and yes it still pisses me off sometimes, but the added size and resolution make a world of difference. As long as you can afford one, it's a no-brainer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found someone locally selling a zr30w for $700. Sounds like a pretty fair deal as long as the monitor is in good shape. Is there anything I should look out for besides the obvious blemishishs/dead pixels?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top