Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, is it bad for your comp if you turn it directly off by the button, u know when you hold it in for about 6 seconds and then it immidately shuts off!
its just i hear it all the time and im wondering is it really all that bad? coz i do it all the time and nothing has ever happend such as loss of data or power failer! or ..anything really.. lol
any imformation please???
thx
-Sin100

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Recommended way is thru the start icon and hit restart or shutdown. It can lose data if something is running when you use the button to power off. If nothing is running when you do, then it won't matter.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sin100

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Yeah, like Busa said.

Basicly, we'll say your anti-virus is updating whe you do that, well when you restart, it might not pick up where it left off and have to start over. That's just one situation.

I do it all the time when I'm overclocking my cpu or video card and it locks up. It wont "hurt" anything though.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Think of it this way: They wouldn't have put in the Shutdown dialog if they just wanted you to button it off.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
you might screw up windows... that's why I'm doing data recovery right now....

·
Registered
421 Posts
heh.. in my case I can just press the power button for less then a second and it makes windows shut the system down properly.
Faster then having to click two buttons to reach 'shutdown' menu lol
(yeah I'm one of the laziest creatures around lol )

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Yeah i just use the button because it takes my system literally 5 minutes to shut down otherwise, and nothing has ever happened.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
It's not good... but obviously it's not a huge deal. It is fairly important to wait until everything has completely spun down (especially harddrives) before you turn it back on again. If you're just holding the button to force it off then pressing it immediately to turn it back on.... that's not good.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
This can really screw up and corrupt windows drivers. It also creates bad sectors on your hd.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
It can have a very negative effect, but it'll depend on what's going on in your machine I'm sure. My dad shut his laptop down through the power button one day and the next time he turned it on every shortcut and execuitable didn't work, he had to rebuild the registry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts