Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[[Update]]] Fixed it! Read a lot on badcaps.net and decided to replace 2 capacitors on the main board. Cost me $3 shipped to get the parts I needed. Only burned myself once soldering it. And I have never soldered anything before. Woohoo!

Hello,

I have a HannsG 28" model # HG281D purchased in 2009.

***NOT MY PC***

The issue is when the monitor is hooked up with VGA/HDMI (DVI on PC end) it doesn't always fully power on. The light changes indicating it has a connection but doesn't flip over.

When it does come on with VGA it is blurry/fuzzy/watery if that makes sense. It does this with onboard VGA, video card VGA. With HDMI it is not fuzzy but half the time, and almost ALL of the time now it doesn't turn on and when it does it only makes it to Windows 8 loading screen and then it dies.

Is this monitor dead? Is there anything I can replace? Is it worth it? Anything worth trying? I have a soldering iron but I will admit I am NOT good at it... Only tried 3-4 things and failed at 2 of them.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
By "NOT MY PC" do you mean that you have tried it with other devices?

If it does the same with every device you connect it to, your screen is dead, sorry.
My guess is the panel itself, which would be more expensive to replace than just buying a whole new one.

There's a chance that it's the controller board though. About the only thing you can do there is replace capacitors.
That involves soldering.
You have to be quite good.
And need a few extra tools.
Swollen caps can cause a lot of issues, but I'm still going with the panel itself for the busted component.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by plottingCreeper View Post

By "NOT MY PC" do you mean that you have tried it with other devices?

If it does the same with every device you connect it to, your screen is dead, sorry.
My guess is the panel itself, which would be more expensive to replace than just buying a whole new one.

There's a chance that it's the controller board though. About the only thing you can do there is replace capacitors.
That involves soldering.
You have to be quite good.
And need a few extra tools.
Swollen caps can cause a lot of issues, but I'm still going with the panel itself for the busted component.
I stated "NOT MY PC" because myself and this person both have the same monitor so I didn't want people to look at my signature rig.

Their PC works fine when connected to MY HannsG281D monitor as well as 3 other monitors. VGA isn't blurred, either. So it has to be their monitor.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well, sorry, but the screen is dead.
There's only a small amount that can be done to fix screens, and it's almost never worth it.
Looks like replacement time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[[Update]]] Fixed it! Read a lot on badcaps.net and decided to replace 2 capacitors on the main board. Cost me $3 shipped to get the parts I needed. Only burned myself once soldering it. And I have never soldered anything before. Woohoo!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only tried it because I had some extra time and it only cost $3... so if it didn't work, oh well.

I am absolutely shocker that it worked. The old capacitors looked completely fine. I don't have an ESR meter to test them. And my soldering/desoldering skills are very crude.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by plottingCreeper View Post

Busted caps can cause almost any issue, and you must be a lot better at soldering than I am. I've never managed to replace caps before.
Eh well I had inspected the caps and didn't see anything wrong with any of them. The Badcaps forum said to try replacing 2 specific ones and I got really really really lucky.

If there was a video you wouldn't be impressed. Took me a few hours to get everything together, and I was practicing for a while on some dead/oldoldold graphics cards.

Thanks for reading!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts