Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I have a thermaltake 745 , it has a 400/lph pump , and 2 radiators . I live in buffalo NY , and i have my radiators next to a window that i can open to have access to below 0c air. Ive been seeing 16-17C idle time ,and 30-32 load temps. Is there a chance of condensation when the chipset is around 40C.? Im just worried about the temp differences between the cpu and other parts of the pc . I cant get a chipset block on it cause my 7800 sits on the chipset fan . Do you guys think it will hurt anything , or should i just keep the window closed ? My 3700 is running @2915 (265X11) @1.5 v and it does get up around 41C with the window closed. Thx rukkee

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Sounds like you have it made for OCing the bejabbers out of that processor--free chill--I would look at the supply lines and see if they are damp--a little foam insulation will take care of that--I believe you will be in good shape--I doubt the MOBO backside is dewing up--but there are some dielectric sprys you can protect the board with if that is the case.

Go For it!

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
16C is well above the dew temp for air so you won't get any condensation forming at these temps

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
you wont get condensation on anything that has power running through it, you psu=no mobo=no, anything that generates heat wont get condensation, but your tubing might, maybe not on your outlet, but on your in line tube.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopes

What exactly is the dew temp for air by the way?

it changes with the temp of the air, warmer air has a higher dew point, and colder air has a much lower dew point.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukkee

Howdy all, I have a thermaltake 745 , it has a 400/lph pump , and 2 radiators . I live in buffalo NY , and i have my radiators next to a window that i can open to have access to below 0c air. Ive been seeing 16-17C idle time ,and 30-32 load temps. Is there a chance of condensation when the chipset is around 40C.? Im just worried about the temp differences between the cpu and other parts of the pc . I cant get a chipset block on it cause my 7800 sits on the chipset fan . Do you guys think it will hurt anything , or should i just keep the window closed ? My 3700 is running @2915 (265X11) @1.5 v and it does get up around 41C with the window closed. Thx rukkee

Those are like the same exact temps I am getting. I thought they would be lower then that, considering I am doing pretty much the same thing as you, except I have a air duct going to my rad, sucking in the cold air. Its good to know I am not having a problem with my cooling system. And that someone else has exactly the same temps as me. But I really do think that the temps are lower then, 30-32°C temps, my rad is like really really cold, I think its just the variations in the temp readings on this board. Cause I am using the same CPU, same MOBO, and Graphics card as you. Anyways, I don't think you have to worry about condensation, because the dew point at like like 2°C is like -6°C, so unless you are getting -6°C temps don't worry about it and just overclock it as much as you can.

-Atomic

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Um, the dew point depends on the amount of water vapor in the air and there is no general rule for what temp to be above. If humidity is low then condensation shouldn't be much of an issue but humidity is high then condensation can occur at much higher temperatures.

Let me ask, does water bead up quickly on a pop can that is taken out of the fridge? If it does, humidity is relatively high and could be an issue.

Oh btw you can get condensation on things that use electricity.

Edit: Here's is my little faq on condensation.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Fire

you wont get condensation on anything that has power running through it, you psu=no mobo=no, anything that generates heat wont get condensation, but your tubing might, maybe not on your outlet, but on your in line tube.

Agreed. Just remember that if condensation does form (and I think that's generally more an issue with phase-change or TEC systems) it can drip from, say, your waterblock, onto say, your motherboard. So hard-core below-ambient coolers protect the electronics with shields, spray-on coatings, etc.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.