Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
full range speakers with a tweeter, mid range cone and bass ports?

I've been using a JVC home cinema system with my PC for years now. It consists of an amp, five satellites and a sub.

Recently, I was looking through stuff to take to the dump and saw my cheapo Sanyo mini hifi sitting there.

I decided to rig the speakers from it up to the JVC amp and wow.........

I can hear stuff I couldn't hear before in songs and games. The sound is overall more present, punchy and "alive", probably due to more air being moved. Even the stereo effect is more pronounced.

If these cheapskate Sanyo speakers with a wider range can make so much difference, why do we only get weedy drivers for PC speakers?

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Bare with me as I'm not 100% sure I understood what you just typed.

It's not so much that 5.1/7.1 setups are inferior..it's just the price of having MORE speakers is obviously going to be much more than having a 2.1 set up because you're paying for 3-5 speakers more. Most Home Theater in a Box setups are really cheap and are not designed for audio fidelity. They sell to customers that don't know anything about audio and just want something they can hook up for a surround sound effect. Quality doesn't matter as long as sound comes out of the speakers. It's simple, all set up for you and all in one box.

People don't want to grab individual parts and put it all together even though the SQ will be much better.

Furthermore, a pair of real speakers will be superior almost always to PC satellites.

Again, PC Speakers are designed to be small and easy to assemble without taking up much space. There are obvious flaws with those fundamentals in mind for PC Speakers.

It's the quality of the speaker, not the number of speakers that's the issue.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post

Bare with me as I'm not 100% sure I understood what you just typed.
It's not so much that 5.1/7.1 setups are inferior..it's just the price of having MORE speakers is obviously going to be much more than having a 2.1 set up because you're paying for 3-5 speakers more. Most Home Theater in a Box setups are really cheap and are not designed for audio fidelity. They sell to customers that don't know anything about audio and just want something they can hook up for a surround sound effect. Quality doesn't matter as long as sound comes out of the speakers. It's simple, all set up for you and all in one box.
People don't want to grab individual parts and put it all together even though the SQ will be much better.
Furthermore, a pair of real speakers will be superior almost always to PC satellites.
Again, PC Speakers are designed to be small and easy to assemble without taking up much space. There are obvious flaws with those fundamentals in mind for PC Speakers.
It's the quality of the speaker, not the number of speakers that's the issue.
That pretty much sums it up. Most people do not have a large computer area so the small budget speakers are more than adequate to play youtube videos and angry birds.

Not all computer speakers are bad though. My Klipsch Promedia 5.1 setup sounds pretty dang good. I now have to update my home theater speakers as my PC speakers sound better than my HT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts