Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the toshiba 32av502rz and have my ps3 hooked up to it with hdmi cables.

I've played with all sorts of settings and the picture looks ugly man. Alot of the greyscales like in shadows look greenish swampy.

I even opened it up to see if some connector was loose but everything looked okay, although the panel is apparently made by samsung according to the sticker.

I went over to my buddies and he has a cheapo dynex 40" tv and even that looks way better. I've updated the firmware and everything, still looks lousy to me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
How does it look with something other than the PS3 ?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hednik View Post

How does it look with something other than the PS3 ?
Pretty much the same, I tried it with my pc playing skyrim and immediately noticed something was off, the issue appears to be for grayscale. Like pure black looks fine. But in areas that are a shade of dark grey ends up having a green tint. I've dialed back the G drive but then it gets a red tint.

I used some lcd test images via the web browser in the ps3 and its like it cant reproduce grayscale properly, with just a blend of black and white. It always has a tinge of red or green or blue even no matter how I mess with the settings. then it looks like this weird dithering.

I also tried the ps3 with component cables and same thing, i think it must be just a bad quality panel.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothrpe View Post

Pretty much the same, I tried it with my pc playing skyrim and immediately noticed something was off, the issue appears to be for grayscale. Like pure black looks fine. But in areas that are a shade of dark grey ends up having a green tint. I've dialed back the G drive but then it gets a red tint.
I used some lcd test images via the web browser in the ps3 and its like it cant reproduce grayscale properly, with just a blend of black and white. It always has a tinge of red or green or blue even no matter how I mess with the settings.
I also tried the ps3 with component cables and same thing, i think it must be just a bad quality panel.
Seems like it me. If the panel does black correctly and White just fine it would normally be a bad panel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We sell a couple of Toshiba models where I work, and generally speaking, they all seems to look just as you've described.

We don't sell your particular model, but the ones that we do sell seem to lack color saturation and will look extremely dull compared to the other brands we sell (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic). It sucks because some of these televisions look good on paper, but when you actually take them home you may end up finding that an older SDTV looks even better even though, specs-wise, your new television should be superior.

If you just bought it, I'd say see if wherever you got it from will allow you to exchange it for something else (unless you ordered it online)

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Sorry to hear your having this issue, have you though about purchasing a calibration disc or a calibration tool like spyder3tv? To the poster above not all toshibas look horrible, I have a 42TL515u, and the standard autoview function makes the tv look awesome. I have since calibrated it with my spyder3tv and it looks even better. But I havnt had any of the issues he op has as far as greys looking green.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Not to sound like a very unpleasant person, but sell your tv and put a bit more money on the table and buy one that came good out of a test from a decent brand. All brands have bad models. I have a 32 inch edge led sony in the bedroom and the picture is fine...as long as you sit right in front of it. If you take a look at it from a good step left or right the colour goes all pale. Fine some multitests on the web and get a tv based on that.

I would personally never buy a Toshiba. A friend of mine has one but it collects dust like crazy and in general they don't do well in tests. I mean they're cheaper than the others for a reason.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Samsung or LG make pretty much all flat panel screens. It's kind of lousy the name took a dive. Back in the CRT days Sony and Toshiba were the best you could buy. I assume they were bought out by a conglomerate and therefore the decline in quality. As opposed to Pioneer who wasn't making enough profit on their TV's and just bowed out of the business of TV's completely....and they were the best.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hednik View Post

Samsung or LG make pretty much all flat panel screens. It's kind of lousy the name took a dive. Back in the CRT days Sony and Toshiba were the best you could buy. I assume they were bought out by a conglomerate and therefore the decline in quality. As opposed to Pioneer who wasn't making enough profit on their TV's and just bowed out of the business of TV's completely....and they were the best.
It's funny you mention that, I actually opened up the tv to see if a connector was loose or something, and lo and behold, the panel has a samsung sticker on it. I've tried various calibrations and I think it's just not the best panel.

And yes I was dissapointed with Toshiba, I had a 27" and 32" Toshiba crt and they still produce beautiful picture but in standard def. Kind of a shame.

Oh well, the TV was free from my office. I'm thinking of selling it and going with a sharp aquos eventually.

It still looks okay with xbox so I just use it with that, and movies I don't really mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts