Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I wanted to get some input about temps on Threadripper. Is it normal for a 1920X on stock settings to product temps around 55-65C on a Noctua cooler? Here is my settings below to see what I can improve for better cooling capacity. During Gaming it can spike up to 76C and then it go back down but normally it stay withing avg of 64C.

-System Specs-
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X
COOLER: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (Single Fan)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000Mhz 32GB 4x8
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming
VIDEO: GALAX GTX 1070 HOF 8GB (LE Bios)
CASE: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV (3x 120mm Static GT 2150rpm PMW Fans, 1x 140mm Fan Rear Stock)
HDD: 3TB Seagate
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAngel View Post

Hi everyone, I wanted to get some input about temps on Threadripper. Is it normal for a 1920X on stock settings to product temps around 55-65C on a Noctua cooler? Here is my settings below to see what I can improve for better cooling capacity. During Gaming it can spike up to 76C and then it go back down but normally it stay withing avg of 64C.

-System Specs-
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X
COOLER: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (Single Fan)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000Mhz 32GB 4x8
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming
VIDEO: GALAX GTX 1070 HOF 8GB (LE Bios)
CASE: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV (3x 120mm Static GT 2150rpm PMW Fans, 1x 140mm Fan Rear Stock)
HDD: 3TB Seagate
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1

Thanks!
I'm not an AMD user, but this all depends on stock TDP thermal wattage of a processor at stock settings. What is ThreadRipper's [1920X] TDP spec? I'd think -- I'd guess -- it's somewhere around 90W. If so, then I'd say that 55-65C is about "par for the course" if using a cooler like the NH-U14S.

The NH-U14S is a very good single-tower cooler, but it will only remove so much heat per unit time from a processor of a given wattage. If you're satisfied with those temperatures and don't intend any "Extreme" overclocking, you can keep the cooler. If you want top-end Air-cooling performance, you should consider a more massive cooler like the Noctua D15 (or ThermalRight Le Grand Macho -- or something in the same class and performance).

To squeeze extra Celsius improvement from any heatpipe cooler, focus on total input and output fan CFM, and define an airflow strategy that doesn't mix air removing heat from components with other case-interior air.

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzaiDuck View Post

I'm not an AMD user, but this all depends on stock TDP thermal wattage of a processor at stock settings. What is ThreadRipper's [1920X] TDP spec? I'd think -- I'd guess -- it's somewhere around 90W. If so, then I'd say that 55-65C is about "par for the course" if using a cooler like the NH-U14S.

The NH-U14S is a very good single-tower cooler, but it will only remove so much heat per unit time from a processor of a given wattage. If you're satisfied with those temperatures and don't intend any "Extreme" overclocking, you can keep the cooler. If you want top-end Air-cooling performance, you should consider a more massive cooler like the Noctua D15 (or ThermalRight Le Grand Macho -- or something in the same class and performance).

To squeeze extra Celsius improvement from any heatpipe cooler, focus on total input and output fan CFM, and define an airflow strategy that doesn't mix air removing heat from components with other case-interior air.
I see, my understanding I guess that the 1920X is about a 180watt.

Max Turbo Core Speed
4GHz
Total L1 Cache
1.125MB
Total L2 Cache
6MB
Total L3 Cache
32MB
Unlocked
Yes
CMOS
14nm
Package
sTR4
PCI Express Version
PCIe 3.0
Default TDP / TDP
180W
Max Temps
68°C

Reason I am asking this I am worried that my case is restricting to much air flow for that processor. It was fine for the AMD Ryzen 1700 but for the 1920X I believe it needs more air which if that is the case I may grab something like the EVGA-DG 87. Also read that a second fan would be good for the Noctua cooler which I would also purchase only if my case is adequate for this kind of setup.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
Little bit off topic but If you are not already aware the PSU you have is old and very mediocre if not borderline terrible
Its going to hold the rest of the system back and should be replaced as it does not belong in a high end system like yours

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Stock TDP for the 1920x is 180W, although I had to push mine to 3.75 before I was able to consume that much power.

Your temps aren't outside of what should be expected. You could find out of it's your case fairly easily, just test temps with the side off of the case.

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

Stock TDP for the 1920x is 180W, although I had to push mine to 3.75 before I was able to consume that much power.

Your temps aren't outside of what should be expected. You could find out of it's your case fairly easily, just test temps with the side off of the case.
Yea true, I will run a test today to see and get back with my results here. Another thing I was thinking maybe the way I apply the thermal paste which I can easily check after the open case test to see.

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Little bit off topic but If you are not already aware the PSU you have is old and very mediocre if not borderline terrible
Its going to hold the rest of the system back and should be replaced as it does not belong in a high end system like yours
lol, I got that power supply due to the manufacture that made it which is one of the best out there. It seems to power the system up so I am not sure what you mean holding the system back up?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
Quote:

lol, I got that power supply due to the manufacture that made it which is one of the best out there. It seems to power the system up so I am not sure what you mean holding the system back up?
Its not one of the best out there its not even made by EVGA its an FSP GLN 88 thats been rebranded

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2293.htm
http://www.orionpsudb.com/evga

It uses the old outdated group regulation sceme which means it has very mediocre voltage regulation which in turn means you system is going to be less stable

If you are going to be overclocking you wont be able to overclock very high because of the mediocre voltage regulation
What you have is not good it has been and it never will be

While its not the same platform as the NEX gold aka G1 it has the same problems
http://www.overclock.net/t/1476935/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-supernova-nex650g-750g-aka-g1

What you have while not the most terrible thing ever made is not good and it does not belong in a high end system like yours
Its like putting some really old crappy second hand tires on your brand new Lamborghini and you wont be able to drive very fast because of the tires

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Its not one of the best out there its not even made by EVGA its an FSP GLN 88 thats been rebranded

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2293.htm
http://www.orionpsudb.com/evga

It uses the old outdated group regulation sceme which means it has very mediocre voltage regulation which in turn means you system is going to be less stable

If you are going to be overclocking you wont be able to overclock very high because of the mediocre voltage regulation
What you have is not good it has been and it never will be

While its not the same platform as the NEX gold aka G1 it has the same problems
http://www.overclock.net/t/1476935/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-supernova-nex650g-750g-aka-g1

What you have while not the most terrible thing ever made is not good and it does not belong in a high end system like yours
Its like putting some really old crappy second hand tires on your brand new Lamborghini and you wont be able to drive very fast because of the tires
I see what would you recommend then?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
The Seasonic Focus or Prime series are very good options or there is the Corsair RMx

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:

Yea true, I will run a test today to see and get back with my results here. Another thing I was thinking maybe the way I apply the thermal paste which I can easily check after the open case test to see.
Now that more info is available to the AMD Ryzen-Ignorant such as myself, if you're using that NH-U14S and the TDP is (as they say here) between 140W and 180W, you absolutely need not worry about those temperatures.

Even so, now that the TDP has been revealed to us (me), I'd say you should pull that U14S cooler outta there and get an LG Macho or NH-D15 if you want to stick with air-cooling. That is . . . if you plan to tweak the processor for higher clocks of any kind.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Quote:

I see what would you recommend then?
Shilka knows his stuff when it comes to PSU's. Whatever he recommends, I'd go for it. Plus, with that CPU, a little extra headroom can't hurt
thumb.gif

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzaiDuck View Post

Now that more info is available to the AMD Ryzen-Ignorant such as myself, if you're using that NH-U14S and the TDP is (as they say here) between 140W and 180W, you absolutely need not worry about those temperatures.

Even so, now that the TDP has been revealed to us (me), I'd say you should pull that U14S cooler outta there and get an LG Macho or NH-D15 if you want to stick with air-cooling. That is . . . if you plan to tweak the processor for higher clocks of any kind.
I see, what is LG Mach? Also NH-D15 which I had has a way smaller cooler plate which mean is not even designed for such a chip. I may consider going EK custom water cooling but trying to decide the best and cheapest way to keep it under control. So I am looking at the following areas.

1. Case
2. Cooler
3. PSU - Since was mention to me I may get a SeaSonic Focus 850w.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:

The Seasonic Focus or Prime series are very good options or there is the Corsair RMx
There are several good PSUs available. Many of the "brands" offered can be discovered to be "rebadged" or "rebranded," and you would see Seasonic manufactures turning up under other brand names.

I became smug and comfortable choosing only Seasonic PSUs beginning some 10 years ago. I've bought enough of them that I've actually had maybe one or two defectives that died within a day's time.

But their better models come with 5-year to 10-year warranties, and for PSUs, the warranty is as good an indicator of quality as the weight of the unit.

I have decided to spend the extra margin of dollars to buy their "Titanium Prime" models for new computer builds. I totally recommend them. If you're simply replacing a PSU in an older computer, you could lean toward cheap and buy Seasonic second-tier or third-tier models. Look at the X-Series Gold, for instance. They offer "eco-friendly units. Modular cabling costs more than non-modular. But I'd never spend less than $100 on a PSU unless I knew what I was getting and could see through web-research that the price meant a serious bargain.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Quote:

EVGA is a reseller, not a manufacturer. They've labeled a few units that are not as good as others. Their bronze units and their older gold units are not made on the same super flower based platform as the g2/p2/t2 units (which are excellent).

It will work but you could have trouble with stability when over clocking. The poor ripple suppression makes VRMs work harder to deliver power and temperatures may even suffer (a little bit under extreme circumstances).

You'll probably be fine though.

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see good, input!, what size PSU you guys think I should get minimum for this setup?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
Quote:

I see good, input!, what size PSU you guys think I should get minimum for this setup?
650 watt as min but no more then 850 watts unless you have plans for more video cards or you plan to mess around with extreme cooling and/or BIOS/hardware volt mods

·
Dev
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

650 watt as min but no more then 850 watts unless you have plans for more video cards or you plan to mess around with extreme cooling and/or BIOS/hardware volt mods
Cool thanks, at least for now I have no plan overclocking the chip and I plan to run is stock. I plan not to have a second graphic card or do mods. My goal it to have it stable for my game designing and music recording with the occasional gaming.

·
Premium Member
7,949 Posts
Seems normal. If you want to overclock, an AIO is basically required for thread ripper.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post

Seems normal. If you want to overclock, an AIO is basically required for thread ripper.
No its the other way around with the Noctua air coolers beating out the AIO coolers
Linus Tech Tips did a video about not long ago and the Noctua air coolers where better then all the AIO´s tested

Others have made videos about it with the same results so no the AIO´s are not better for threadripper they are worse
They also cost more make more noise and are more unreliable

1 - 20 of 43 Posts