Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cpu is getting really high temps 55 degrees to 59 deg. I don't leave it on all the time, and I read some where that 49 was the max temp you want to go? This cpu isn't even overclocked (it crashes every time) and my case temp is 22 degrees. Is it time to get a new processor?

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
If that's idle, then that's pretty warm. But if you're willing to pay money for an upgrade, then don't worry about it. Run your processor hot. If it dies a year from now, no big deal because you were going to upgrade anyway right?

So don't spend money unless it dies (or you want better performance), cause its running fine now right?

• Rep+
Reactions: Gnarly

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
b4 u go off and do that, i would reccommend remounting your hs fan properly with some AS5 to see if that is the problem.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin DeFields

b4 u go off and do that, i would reccommend remounting your hs fan properly with some AS5 to see if that is the problem.

I have tried taking the stock heatsink off before, but no luck I can not get that thing off. So that option is out.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport

I have tried taking the stock heatsink off before, but no luck I can not get that thing off. So that option is out.

well that sounds like another problem there. get it off and scrape that stock thermal crap off and wipe off the excess with alcohol. then reseat it w/ some AS5... or just buy a nice aftermarket HSF.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
o and the reason that it won't come off (easily, as im assuming that u unscrewed/unlocked everything that needs to be) is that you need to heat up the heatsink to about 60C. Using a hairdryer is ur best bet. PLEASE try this because this definately confirms you have some form of fragtape on ur proc.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
as5 should take you down to like 40C, maybe less depending on how bad ur frag tape is.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tw33k2514
ouch dude time for a better HSF get a Zalman all copper HSF or a XP-120
haha since i am running at 60* as i type this i might be able to skip the hair dryer step.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Whoa, dont heat it up. You have to unmount it first, the pretty much rip it off, the stock paste is really really sticky.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Naw i think your temps aren't that bad. When i had my 2000 xp+ my idle temps were at 59* and on load it went up to 70. My pc would shutdown when playing starcraft.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo
Naw i think your temps aren't that bad. When i had my 2000 xp+ my idle temps were at 59* and on load it went up to 70. My pc would shutdown when playing starcraft.
You're joking right?

Those temps are horrible!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dude thats way hot i used to panic when my comp got to 50c let alone 59 :O, maybe get a few fans, your cpu mite not be mounted properly my friend had a prob wit that on his 2800+ xp

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Dude, i know your temps GET UP TO 59C, but it has to be 60C WHEN you pull it off. As soon as u turn ur pc off, the cpu will start cooling off to room temperature quick as hell.

• Rep+
Reactions: Gnarly
1 - 16 of 16 Posts