Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cards stays cool, the other does not. i replaced the tim on hot card, still no luck. then i checked temperature of the outside metal part of the cards at full load - the cooler GPU card was burning up on the outside.

hot gpu card was actually cooler externally. next up, exhaust temperature testing. the hot card had consistently lower exhaust temps.

For some reason, this heat sink wont get nearly as hot, or is it the chip itself holding more heat inside?

I am planning on a Gelid Icy, just for this one hot card, and then leave the others stock since they work better stacked side by side in 3 way sli.

is there liquid inside of that heat sink? anyone else see this occur?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post
is the hot card the one that is above the cooler one?

if so that is normal for sli.
No, these cards are on a bench. The hot card is hotter even if you change pci slots, make it card #1 or #2, it doesn't matter. Not only is it always the hotter card, it does not get rid of as much heat via the heat sink, so something is up with the heat sink internally, or the chip simpy does not conduct as much of its heat out to the sink for some reason.

Changing thermal paste did not help.

Blowing extra fans is helpful, but the fans actually help cool the already cooler card even more so, since that cool card has a much hotter heat sink, it can transfer more heat via convection with greater delta T.

Removing the grates from the end plate also helped.. but again, the root cause is not lack of air flow, its something internal to the chip / heat sink interface, or the heat sink itself.

·
Climbin' in yo windows
1,825 Posts
Yes I believe that EVGA changed up their heatsink in a newer revision - at least someone told me that on here OCN... I haven't searched for any conclusive evidence though.

• Rep+
Reactions: twistedneck

·
Registered
458 Posts
This may be true.

My GTX 480 runs almost as cool as my 5870 used to, even with slightly higher ambients. I rarely ever go over 73C and that is only when I am stress testing it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are you running them stock, with their stock vids, or have you overclocked them with the same voltages on each.

I tested on of my 480s power consumption with different voltages at stock speeds and saw a considerable difference between the highest and lowest shipping voltages.

one 480 idle @ 173w @ 405mhz
furmark .900v 397w (not crysis stable)
furmark .925v 410w (untested in crysis)
furmark .950v 427w (untested in crysis)
furmark .963v 434w (untested in crysis)
furmark .975v 447w (untested in crysis)
furmark .987v 462w stock - first 480
furmark 1.038v 494w stock - second 480
furmark 1.087v 548w max stock vid

My two EVGA 480s are recently stocked supplies and appear to be just like any other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts