Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Wait...5 second from the moment the load bar comes up 'till the time the desktop appears?? That's impossible. It's not even about CPU, its about hard drive speed.

The only way that is happening is if you put the computer into sleep mode. Mine will show the desktop about 5 seconds after i hit the power button. But there's no way your friend is cold booting into windows in 5 seconds.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedma11229 View Post
put 2 velicoraptors in raid
That still won't come close to 5 seconds. Some mobos won't even POST in 5 seconds.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Well, i can put my computer into sleep mode... I just hit the little C- Thingy next to the lock button on my taskbar. Its not 5 seconds, but maybe closer to 10-15. It isnt a real "reboot" but when I do it the computer shuts completely down, then it can come back in about 15 seconds. It comes back if you hit a key, mouse key, or any computer button. Pretty nifty. But as I said, that isnt right from post, its more like resuming a computer from hibernate, but faster.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikemq2003 View Post
my friends amd is overclocked to have his load screen to desktop like 5 secs after he turns it on. I was just wondering if anyone that has intel has done it or knows if it could be done?
Yes, thats not that hard to do. You do it with a stripped out XP benchmarking install.
Nothing loads at startup.
No accessories.
Desktop w/o icons/background/screensaver/etc..
Minimal services.
Minimal drivers.
No networking.

That kind of stuff.

I had a stripped out XP Pro that would reboot from desktop to desktop in 23 seconds. That was a on a 939 motherboard. Of course that kind of OS install is useless for anything but benchmarking.

Google can show you how.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No thats after Bios. next time im at his house ill get a vid for you guys. Its crazy but yea so no way to overclock to make that happen? is there anyway to cut down the loading time? Besides msconfig and regedit?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

No thats after Bios. next time im at his house ill get a vid for you guys. Its crazy but yea so no way to overclock to make that happen? is there anyway to cut down the loading time? Besides msconfig and regedit?
So from POST to desktop is 5 seconds? Bullcrap. What kind of hard drives does he run?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Couldn't you boot from RAM?

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Quote:

my friends amd is overclocked to have his load screen to desktop like 5 secs after he turns it on. I was just wondering if anyone that has intel has done it or knows if it could be done?
simply.... no... not even with an AMD system... I smell liez

EDIT: Of course, you could be using something like Windows 98...

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Quote:

Hey if it was bullcrap i wouldnt post anything on here about it and waste my time. He has 3 V-raptors set in raid.
There still is no way you'd be able to go from initial boot to desktop in 10 seconds... even with 3 Velociraptors in RAID...

Post a vid of it booting in 10 seconds or less, and I'll gladly admit that I was wrong... but if not, then don't bother posting...

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapDubOh View Post
Couldn't you boot from RAM?
RAM can't hold data when there's no power running to it. We're talking about a cold boot here so the RAM is out of the question

Quote:

Hey if it was bullcrap i wouldnt post anything on here about it and waste my time. He has 3 V-raptors set in raid.
3 raptors in RAID won't do it either. It'll cut the time by a pretty good amount, but 5 seconds total, come on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaDog11790 View Post
SSDs?
Which aren't that much faster than a 10,000RPM drive...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabermetrics View Post
There still is no way you'd be able to go from initial boot to desktop in 10 seconds... even with 3 Velociraptors in RAID...

Post a vid of it booting in 10 seconds or less, and I'll gladly admit that I was wrong... but if not, then don't bother posting...
Exactly. We want proof, or you're just wasting your time. I could say i got 20,000 on 3dmark06, but would anyone believe me without proof?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedma11229 View Post
put 2 velicoraptors in raid
raptors or Intel x-series in raid0= 170w 280r x2...whoooshhhh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts