Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a chromebook and it's completely useless to me. so I want to install Windows 8 or 10. but I have no idea if that even possible on this thing. it's and hp chromebook 11 it has a celeron n2840 so it's ultra low end.i was mostly hoping to to some very casual gaming. like halo 1 or half life 2 just very simple older games.

·
Registered
57 Posts
sorry dude, its not possible. Its simply the wrong hardware for you. I love my chromebook, but I also have a gaming rig. They are great for what they are but gaming is really not one of them.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big45-70 View Post

sorry dude, its not possible. Its simply the wrong hardware for you. I love my chromebook, but I also have a gaming rig. They are great for what they are but gaming is really not one of them.
thats pretty lame, its the same x86-x64 arch. oh well linux will be good enough.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,881 Posts
Is it possible to install Steam on it? ChomeOS is based on Gentoo Linux afterall. Then you can stll play games.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

If thats what you want I would just sell it and buy an inexpensive windows machine with similar specs.
it was a gift i cant sell it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diffident View Post

Is it possible to install Steam on it? ChomeOS is based on Gentoo Linux afterall. Then you can stll play games.
I just straight up installed ubuntu unity on it using crouton. steam installs fine but this thing is so slow it cant even run the original half life without massive stuttering even at 800x600

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post

it was a gift i cant sell it.
I just straight up installed ubuntu unity on it using crouton. steam installs fine but this thing is so slow it cant even run the original half life without massive stuttering even at 800x600
Just ask for the recept from whomever gave it to you, return it. And get the Windows Version.

Linux is the wrong OS to try playing games with on that hardware.

You can install windows, but it is not easy. And lack for storage is a problem.

IMO, return it.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

Just ask for the recept from whomever gave it to you, return it. And get the Windows Version.

Linux is the wrong OS to try playing games with on that hardware.

You can install windows, but it is not easy. And lack for storage is a problem.

IMO, return it.
what do you mean? its standard X86-X64 based intel processor with bay trail HD graphics. cant get much more standard than that. returning it isnt an option i dont even live in the same state it was purchased in.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Some people have gotten SteamOS running on there chromebooks, but you will need to have 4GB ram on it along with a lot of effort to get everything else working

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you can't upgrade the ram on this chromebook. the ram is soldered to the motherboard. so I'm stuck with 2gb. I do have an 8gb SD card and a 64gb flash drive I can use for things.

·
Registered
57 Posts
return it, or use it as intended. you can't game on it. Accept the fact that complaining about it on the internet won't help you install windows.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Quote:

what do you mean? its standard X86-X64 based intel processor with bay trail HD graphics. cant get much more standard than that. returning it isnt an option i dont even live in the same state it was purchased in.
Well probably better to sell it them.
redface.gif

That Device just doesn't have the internal storage.

I have a dell Venue 8 Pro that has the same CPU, and it can easily play older games and other games from the window's app store. But when you really don't have room to install a real OS, it is mostly pointless.

I would try and get rid of it and get something like this.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Cambio-11.6-2-in-1-Tablet-32GB-Intel-Quad-Core-Windows-10/45804383

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:

That's the problem. It's a Bay Trail. Bay Trail is just the latest iteration of the Atom line. Those are too slow to use like a regular PC, which is why they get crammed into Chromebooks, which are basically just thin clients dressed up like laptops. Whoever bought it for you meant well, but didn't know what they were getting. Even a refurb from O.co with a C2D processor puts anything Bay Trail to shame.

The single-core rating of an n2840, which is all that matters on older games, is significantly less than an Athlon XP 3200+. That's how weak they are.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

return it, or use it as intended. you can't game on it. Accept the fact that complaining about it on the internet won't help you install windows.
asking a simple question= complaining to you? wow you must be fun at parties.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
That's the bad thing about Chromebooks. Their basically only meant for internet surfing and thats about it. Pretty much no possible upgrade options when it comes to the hardware.

Sell it or live with it as is, I'm afraid bro.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,041 Posts
You can try and see if the windows XP portable thing works for you. It has SATA drivers and many wifi drivers built in.

I do not know the last time it was updated, or even where to get it off the top of my head.

Many people use it as a bootable diagnostic of sort.

You might be able to get it running as a main machine. Find a FAST SD card. They are rare, but find one that can do something in the neighborhood of 60MB/s write and 120 MB/S read and capable of at least 10 or 20k IOPS so it doesnt stutter too bad.

My Toshiba NB255-205 is still kicking around. its massively fast single core 1.6GHz was terrible on an untouched windows 7 install, but after a lot of optimizing, it does run okay.

It constantly uses a minimum 5% of the processor just idling, so opening applications still manages to shakes its feet loose sometimes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts