Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have one ethernet integrated on the motherboard and then I have a another one in a pci slot. Is there anyway for me to link them so they communitcate with each other like one. I was hopeing it would like up the bandwith or download speed or something. Its running on my home server which has xp pro x86

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Just plug two plugs into there and in the network connections page there should be a bridge connections option on the right click...
It won't make you have faster internet, but will ease the load off some things.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
If you're only running 10/100 on your network this won't make any difference, you'd be better off upgrading everything to gigabit connectivity like I did, you'll see a huge performance increase in file transfers across the network especially in a server/client setup like you have.

My file transfers on my server run around 50-60MBps with gigabit vs 10-15MBps I was getting on 10/100 connectivity.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I know that the ip will be the same but the rate at which the pc transacts the info should double no???

I always seem to end up having a limit as to how much dl bandwidth comes depending upon what's being dl'd like streaming stuff from different sites is really dependent upon what site ur on ...like yuoku has so many peps on that it always slow...youtube usually is fast enough to play clips without delay or slowing up at all.

While some news site like msn & aol bbc etc just depends or should I say varies alot.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyFr
View Post

If you're only running 10/100 on your network this won't make any difference, you'd be better off upgrading everything to gigabit connectivity like I did, you'll see a huge performance increase in file transfers across the network especially in a server/client setup like you have.

My file transfers on my server run around 50-60MBps with gigabit vs 10-15MBps I was getting on 10/100 connectivity.

Wait wat u mean gigabit ip connect....you mean a t-line or ???

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Maybe if you have like straight up fiber optic internet hooked straight into your ISP...
Otherwise 2 ethernet cables won't help your internet speeds.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys thanks for the inputs But I believe you guys have the wrong idea going here. I was talking about linking them like the new boards have dual ethernet integrated adapters, But also with them software comes that lets them work as one. my buddy has a asus 680i striker and once he enable the ethernet sli his download speeds went from 400kbps to 800kbps and just anything he does involving the net is alot faster.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by litho
View Post

Hey guys thanks for the inputs But I believe you guys have the wrong idea going here. I was talking about linking them like the new boards have dual ethernet integrated adapters, But also with them software comes that lets them work as one. my buddy has a asus 680i striker and once he enable the ethernet sli his download speeds went from 400kbps to 800kbps and just anything he does involving the net is alot faster.

It is called Teaming and he's lying or misreading. It only doubles the connection speed to the router. It does NOTHING to improve download speed since this is still limited.

i.e. A Porsche and a Yugo will go the same speed if the road limits them to 35MPH.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by litho View Post
yes connection speed to the router this is what i need its a server pc

Its not exactly double the speed. Each connection can only run on one NIC, even if they are teamed. So even if you have 2 computers with 2 teamed NICs each and tried to transfer a file from one to the other, it would still only run at regular gigabit speeds, as if each computer only had 1 NIC.

The speed increase only comes into play when you have two or more separate connections made to the server. So for example, if you have 10 computers using that server as a host for a game, the server will automatically distribute the connections between the two NICs depending on their speeds (called Load Balancing).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
Its not exactly double the speed. Each connection can only run on one NIC, even if they are teamed. So even if you have 2 computers with 2 teamed NICs each and tried to transfer a file from one to the other, it would still only run at regular gigabit speeds, as if each computer only had 1 NIC.

The speed increase only comes into play when you have two or more separate connections made to the server. So for example, if you have 10 computers using that server as a host for a game, the server will automatically distribute the connections between the two NICs depending on their speeds (called Load Balancing).
alright but is their any software i can get that will do this for me. Doesn't matter if there is no major increase it would still be better then now since they have been sitting in my pc for over a year doing nothing i guess now.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by litho
View Post

alright but is their any software i can get that will do this for me. Doesn't matter if there is no major increase it would still be better then now since they have been sitting in my pc for over a year doing nothing i guess now.

The only software that can do it is the drivers for your NICs. If your drivers can't do it, then your NICs don't support teaming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts