Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to pull the cooling coil out of a mini fridge and use it to cool a comp?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
You mean pretty much phase change, or do you mean use the firdge to cool the computer? Because I have used a mini fridge to successfully cool the water in a watercooling loop, it was a low flow system though so it was easier for the water to cool. But anyways, putting a comp in a fridge does not work because there is too much heat that comes off the cpu, videocard, mobo and anything else in it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no no no. not putting the comp in the fridge, but the fridge in the comp. like say get a cheap mini fridge from wally world, pull it appart, take out the coil, bend it a bit to fit around the comp, and
$|-|!T rig a device to catch and drain the condensation before it reaches any parts

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniAngel

no no no. not putting the comp in the fridge, but the fridge in the comp. like say get a cheap mini fridge from wally world, pull it appart, take out the coil, bend it a bit to fit around the comp, and
$|-|!T rig a device to catch and drain the condensation before it reaches any parts

A cheap air conditioner would work better. They are designed to work continuously for long periods of time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know, but i was thinking outta the norm here, cuz i think it could work and i wanted some pro opinions before i blew myself up. hahaha

·
Administrator
64,453 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniAngel

i know, but i was thinking outta the norm here, cuz i think it could work and i wanted some pro opinions before i blew myself up. hahaha

Well if you know what your doing it could go well otherwise say good buy to all your pc components as condensation can happen and kill your pc pretty much.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i know i am going to have to have a "condensation catcher" of some sort, but i dunno what......any suggestions? i know it will have to drain somewhere, so that is a bit of a start.....and i don't want it like right on the coil but kinda like a little trough going on the underside of the coil

·
Registered
825 Posts
you could seal off all the areas that have air leaks all but the where your fans are make it bend into a flat spirill shape and mout it to side of the case across from the motherboard and put a thin sheat of plexy glass dviding it from motherboard but have 2 inch long slots in the plexy glass abought half a inch wide ...abought 3 in the area across from your side case fan (if you have one) and then make a litte drain pan and mabe a little hose runing out the back into a catch pan ...i dont know it sound like a lot of work but he would be a funn thing to play with on saterday

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm......that is it. perfect! i think i might buy a broke mobo just to experiment with and see how it goes......now i just need money......

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
No its not possible, yet again the compressor in a fridge is only manufactured to run at maybe 10% of the time, either way, pulling it out of a fridge or putting your pc in a fridge just wont work. However, you could use it to do some decent suicide runs. that would work, or as a water chiller for a vast volume of water. But it would not work as phase change.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ahhhh ok. now that i think of it, that would be rather loud........

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
think it would actually....

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
I'm telling you guys, using an air conditioner and converting it to a phase change unit would be a much better project. You can run ac for hours but a fridge could run for about 1/2 hour before dying.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nahhhh, that's to easy. i want something that could possibly blow up and make it work hehehehe

·
Banned
60 Posts
I personally would make my own intercooler/ heater core type apparatus, and drill a couple holes in a mini fridge, and run the copper piping or whatever the material may be, thru the freezer part of the fridge, have some sort of pump, almost like water cooling, and run fluid xp thru it.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrown

Could you just stick your entire computer in a deep freezer? Would that work?

No yet again, the compressor would not allow it, there have been like 100 or so threads about this in the cooling experiment topic.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by claymanhb

I'm telling you guys, using an air conditioner and converting it to a phase change unit would be a much better project. You can run ac for hours but a fridge could run for about 1/2 hour before dying.

He is absolutly right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts