Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying myself a nice mechanical keyboard (Deck Legend) and was initially going for the PS/2 version, but then second guessed myself :/

I know about the limitless n-key rollover etc, but I've been using USB for quite a long time, and haven't ever really had an issue with it...
My other thinking here is that PS/2 is a legacy port; just how many more motherboards am I going to own with it (semi-rhetorical
)?

Also before someone says "get an adapter" this board is apparently extremely picky with that (even kvm); so I'd prob need to open the board etc. to convert it.

TIA

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
most keyboards can't even do 6+4 properly, the Deck Legend can so if it makes you comfortable order the Deck Legend with native USB.

I was promised candy...

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input lmnop and you can have some candy anytime you want

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
This may be a gross simplification of a complex issue but I divide the world into two camps.

Traditionalists that prefer PS/2.

And the 99.999999% of the population that boot up fine every day using USB. Sounds like it's been working fine for you.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Well... The most number of keys I can think of pressing while gaming is in TF2:

TAB: Look at scores, 1 normal key
W+D: Walk diagonally 2 normal keys
CTRL: Crouch, 1 modifier
V: Voice, talks to the team, 1 normal key
E: Yell "MEEEDIIIIICC!!!!", 1 normal key
R: Reload, 1 normal key.

And the USB limit is enough for even that kind of stuff...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmnop View Post
*snip*
I liked the girl in the trunk more.

But anyways, just throw my 2c in here; USB will be fine for 99% of your applications, TC.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripster View Post
Jeez, all this agreement makes me ill.

Why does the OCN Mechanical Keyboard Guide recommend PS/2 then?
Well, theoretically it's 'better'. The only reason to go with USB is the lack of PS/2 ports on modern hardware, correct?

I mean, most computers I see still use PS/2 ports; but whatever.

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
Most people like USB because you can plug lots of stuff into it and it just works.

PS/2 is just old and offers no real life advantages other than saving a USB port (buy a powered USB hub you cheapskates!).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
True, USB IS more convenient. It's just easy.

How much did that mic cost?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ch_123 View Post
In other words, $150.

The microphone, that is.
Aww, I got excited for a minute there.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I seriously can't believe there's no opposing argument yet...standing by...

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Also, USB is hot-pluggable and PS/2 isn't. I mean, sometimes you can do it and it works, but a lot of the time, especially with older hardware, you have to reboot for the device to register, and some hardware stands a chance of dying if you hotplug it with PS/2.

·
Registered
318 Posts
USB keyboards can be a pain in DOS or BIOS mode. Aka not work at all. Which is usually the moment, where something just broke and you really wish nothing else breaks, and this is the moment an USB keyboard will give you the touch of death, especially if there is no other input device available. "No keyboard detected, press F1 to continue."

LL

1 - 20 of 146 Posts