Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to overclock my new EVGA geforce 7800GT as much as I can, but I seem to be having difficulty. Well it seems like a problem. I hear GPU's run hotter then CPU's, however I'm not to sure about this. For example, I just ran a 3dmark05 benchmark twice with the same problem.

The first time I overclocked the card to 496/1500, the second time I overclocked it down to 484/1300(which was selected as a optimal frequency at one point). However both times, when it began the lower resolution benchmark (the second round of the same videos), they both ran at 1-2FPS.

I exc'd both times, the 496 showed my GPU temp at 57C, the 484 showed my GPU temp of 61C, right after escaping the 1-2FPS. Is that the problem, or is it the lower resolution? I don't have a clue, but 57/61C sounds bad to me. I was thinking since I got the card to use AS5 for support, but I want to know the best/safest way to do it as well.

Basicaly I am asking 2/3 questions at once here, heh.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Definately go with AS5 or another similar silver based compound. You GBU does run much hotter than most CPUs, although for the longevity of your pretty 7800 I wouldn't push it about 50.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whether 1-2FPS or not I posted for the reason of my card, I do not want to run it past 50C. However, I want to know the best procedure to AS5 this particular card. The only AS5 FAQ I see in front of me is for a 6800GT. I don't want to tear my EVGA 7800GT card apart to AS5 CPU/MEM HS without knowing the best way to do it. I have never taken CPU or MEM HS off a GFX card before, and I do not plan to do it without some kind of safe guidline.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
I am not familiar with your specific card, but they are mostly all the same. It is hard to do any damage to the card during this process. They 6800 is probably very similar to your 7800. So use that guide as a reference.

Look for about 4 screws. They are not really screws but like plastic things that go through the holes and then expand locking them in place. If you use small pliers, or your hands, push the buggers together and then pop them out. (this can be rather difficult). This should remove the heatsink.

If you do not have that setup, they will probably be a few screws (very small, you will need a eyeglass screw driver) on the top of the plastic cover. Just unscrew them and take the thing off. Note on some boards these screws are covered by the picture.

You should then see the chip along with some white stuff on it. Use q-tips and whipe off the paste. Then dip a q-tip in some achohol and clean the top of the chip. When this evaporates (it is fast) you can then apply a VERY small amount of AS5. If you put to much on (like I did the first time) you will acually keep heat on the chip. You goal is to just put enough on to fill the tiny grooves in the heatsink and make contact with the heatsink. The amount you should use is just enough so you can't see through it. Try using a credit card to spread the AS5.

Then just put the HS back on and your done.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. If I recall correctly there are 4 screws, my old 5700U had the plastic pins though.
2. Yeah, I used a box cutting blade both times to spread it on my CPU, will do the same on GPU probably. 1 Dime size, and spread, spread, spread.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, oops. I meant Bebe size. Not dime LOL!

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost

Haha, oops. I meant Bebe size. Not dime LOL!

hehe :withstupi no problem man! I put so much on my CPU one time that it insulated it and my idle was around 97C!

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good god yo, LOL. I'm just glad I never even attempted overclocking my PC parts before joining this forum. I would of killed everything. I am a Hands on NUT! I will mess with anything electronic, if it breaks I get pissed, if it works I get happy, either way I learn from it. However PC parts would be alot of money "cough".

Which reminds me of my old Intel mobo before I started OC'n. I read some dumb thing about the capacitors getting faulty and could be slowing down my pc(it was a slow piece of SH#&). So I went and messed with one of em, and what do you know after that I couldnt get any video LOL. That is the only reason I ended up buying that last (before xmas) Gigabyte board, that got me into overclocking/overclock.net. Big mess up, but it got me to join a fantastic community.

I just find it funny even till this day how I ended up here, I cannot believe I did something so stupid, but then I can. I love to learn from screwing up, or not. Hands On YES PLEASE!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have the 7800GT CO and I'm quite impressed by the cooling it has over stock coolers and temps I've seen from other manufacturers. Idle I run at 44C and under load I'm only at 49C and I have it OC'd at 499/1.15 (Optimal Settings it detected).

The GPU can handle much higher than 61C but you might start to pick up artifacts as it gets hotter, but looking into a AM cooler won't hurt...or if you want to get the CO heatsink from eVGA, I can account for it working very well.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CO heatsink from EVGA? Hmm sounds temping, but how much?

Hmm, point remains from one of my questions.. Why do I get 1-2 FPS on the second video feed/lower resolution of 3dmark 05? I still do not get that, I was getting 20-49FPS on higher/regular res(the first 3 videos). With some crazy High settings for the video card on(high qual image, trilinear mipmaps, transparency antialiasing = supersampling, tripple buffering on), but still I would think lower resolution would be even faster; not 1-2FPS.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 7800gt runs at 60 degrees during games, and I don't get any artifacting/overheating problems.

The last two tests are not for your video card, they are testing your CPU.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really? you sure, why would the CPU tests not run at the same resolution? Don't get that idea.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You're talking about the last two tests right? The boat scene and the gun fight after they've already been played with 1337 graphics? If you would notice when you get into 3dmark05, on the left section it says
"Game Test 1: Selected"
and the same thing for 2 and 3.

Below that it says CPU Tests: 2 of 2. hmm
coincidence?

I'm not sure exactly what they test, but i heard from another poster it had something to do with how long the CPU took to process the frame... I could be wrong though.

EDIT: I just saw you're talking about PCmark05 - it might be different?

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh sorry I just noticed that, it was a typo lol. It was 3dmark05 I ran.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost

Oh sorry I just noticed that, it was a typo lol. It was 3dmark05 I ran.

OK, then does my explination make sense to you?

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah man, I got it. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts