Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend told me Core Temp reports CPU temperatures 10C higher than actual temps for 45nm chips, like the Q9550?. Is he talking out of his ass or is his point valid and true? If he's right, why is Core Temp (the app) like this?

Thank you

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
This can happen if the TJMax definitions used by this version of CoreTemp are different.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vbp6us
View Post

My friend told me Core Temp reports CPU temperatures 10C higher than actual temps for 45nm chips, like the Q9550?. Is he talking out of his ass or is his point valid and true? If he's right, why is Core Temp (the app) like this?

Thank you

It all depends on the Tj. Max that Core Temp is using. This can be changed in the Settings.

In other words, it's still reading the temperatures the same, but the Tj. Max its using determines the displayed temperature.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortySmalls
View Post

no hes wrong, unless you have your TJ max set wrong.

When I upgraded from an older version of Core Temp to a much newer version, the temps were different by 10°C due to it using a Tj. Max of 100°C as opposed to 90°C.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vbp6us View Post
So how do I know if my TJ Max setting is incorrect? It is currently set to 100C.
That's correct. For almost all of Intel's 45nm Core2 CPUs (including both the Duo and Quad series), the Tj. Max is approximately 100°C.

You may also find out more information by visiting the thread called The Truth About Temperatures and Voltages.

• Rep+
Reactions: Vbp6us

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum Reality View Post
Oh thanks a sodding lot I said it first
QQ much? TwoCables (why that name anyway) gave way more in-depth answer and that is why he was repped.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum Reality
View Post

Oh thanks a sodding lot I said it first

Helping others isn't a competition. In other words, this thread is not about you, nor is it about me; it's about Vbp6us.

But if you insist on being hurt or insulted over this, then I guess I can break it down for you by going over what happened. But please keep in mind that this thread isn't about any one but Vbp6us:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum Reality
View Post

This can happen if the TJMax definitions used by this version of CoreTemp are different.

You posted this, which is fine. It's very simple, it's short and it's an extremely fast read. I can read this in 3 seconds. However, it leaves questions like, "what do you mean?", or "can these Tj. Max Definitions be changed?". There are probably other questions that would come up, but I think the point here is that even though this post only takes 3 seconds to read, it's going to take MUCH more time to provide a complete answer. This is because now they have to ask you for more information and then they have to wait for either you or somebody else to provide that answer.

Now, when I posted the post below, I did not know that you were in this thread, so I didn't know that you were going to post anything. I was just doing what I do:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

It all depends on the Tj. Max that Core Temp is using. This can be changed in the Settings.

In other words, it's still reading the temperatures the same, but the Tj. Max its using determines the displayed temperature.

Notice how I said "This can be changed in the Settings". Now, I should have said "Options", but the point here is to put his mind at ease by telling him that he has full control over which Tj. Max Core Temp uses and also by telling him where to go should he decide to play with it a little just to see how it works.

Then I answered his other question by saying that it's reading the temperature correctly, but it absolutely depends on the Tj. Max.

My goal was to answer all immediate questions as well as all possible future questions in one reply. In the world of customer service, this is what it's all about. For example: if I were a Call Center Customer Service Representative, then this would be considered an attempt at trying to have a One Call Resolution (or "OCR"). It's when the customer doesn't have to call back because the CSR nailed everything in one call both by taking care of both the immediate questions and issues as well as taking care of all the anticipated questions and issues that could be generated by taking care of the immediate ones. It's a little bit like opening a can of worms. The task of opening it is complete, but now you have to deal with all of these worms. However, most people know that the worms are inside, so they're already prepared for them.

Quote:

View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortySmalls
View Post

no hes wrong, unless you have your TJ max set wrong.

When I upgraded from an older version of Core Temp to a much newer version, the temps were different by 10°C due to it using a Tj. Max of 100°C as opposed to 90°C.

Then I saw ShortySmalls' reply and tried to see it from Vbp6us's perspective. When I did that, I posted the reply above to further show that everything was perfectly normal thereby allowing his mind to be put at ease. After all, what computer geek enjoys having a part of their system not working correctly? Or worse yet, what computer geek enjoys thinking that a part of their rig isn't working correctly? I mean, what if it's working perfectly? If that's the case, then they need somebody to put their mind at ease. And that's exactly what I was trying to do while also trying to make sure he didn't have to make more replies asking me for elaboration or clarification, or even for more information. I mean, providing certain answers can easily lead to more questions. So it's best to anticipate those questions and answer them before they're asked so that the Thread Starter's time isn't wasted.

Quote:

View Post

Quote:

View Post

So how do I know if my TJ Max setting is incorrect? It is currently set to 100C.

That's correct. For almost all of Intel's 45nm Core2 CPUs (including both the Duo and Quad series), the Tj. Max is approximately 100°C.

You may also find out more information by visiting the thread called The Truth About Temperatures and Voltages.

Even though I could have just said "It's correct. For proof, go to this thread", I decided to be much more respectful about it. I also decided to give him information that he will absolutely be able to use later by telling him that this applies to most of Intel's 45nm Core2s, including both the Duos and Quads.

Quote:

View Post

Thank you! +Rep

But, I think he may have been Repping me for telling him about the thread. However, I think he may also have been Repping me because I put his mind at ease in telling him that his current setting is correct as well as putting so much effort into this.

The point is this: if you want the act of Helping Others to be a competition and if you want to have all of the glory in a thread when helping somebody, then you absolutely have to put much more effort into it than you did in this thread. You have to expect absolutely nothing in return. Actually, you almost have to hope that you don't get anything in return at all for your effort and time. After all, it's not about you; it's about the Thread Starter.

In other words, when you decide to try helping somebody, you are taking on one or all of the following (and selfless) roles:
  • Slave
  • Servant
  • Customer Service Representative (professional servant)
  • A tool
  • A friend
Just imagine how you'd feel if you came here seeking help and you ended up being helped by somebody who was very insulted and angry because you forgot to give them a Rep point for whatever reason.

I don't know how else to explain this, so I'll just end this post right here.

P.S. Don't get me wrong here. I'm every bit as human as you are, so I know exactly how you felt from personal experience. I have caught myself feeling the same way on more than one occasion here on OCN. There's nothing quite like answering questions the way I do only to watch somebody else get all the credit who barely spent more than 10 seconds helping them. So it's not like I'm trying to say that I'm perfect and that I never get the same feeling you did. I'm just saying that we both have to remember that it's not about us: it's about the person who's asking for help. It doesn't matter how they get that help either; all that matters is that they get it so that they can move on.

In other words: we are all collectively a huge customer service team.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts