Overclock.net banner

is it virus? what to do?

846 views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  punceh 
#1 ·
hey evryone i have a problem.
for about a week ago my pc has been acting strange. when i open IE when playing music it stops for about 10 secs and continue after that. i also notice my pc is much slower when googling ect. yesterday when i opened internet explorer it also opened 4 other sites(spam sites like get paid for clicking ect). i was kinda confused but did nothing with it(i still have the sites being opened when opening internet explorer).
so i though i had a virus. i scanned my pc with mcafee internet security suite(2009) and it found nothing so i though i let it rest for a night. then today when i am like playing games or internetting mcafee pop's up with a virus. i say "delete" and thats it. also when internetting i get ramdong pop ups from internet explorer which says something about privacy prevention or something(im not english neither is my xp install and i suck in translating).
i'm yet guessing it's a virus but my mcafee doenst find it and im not actually looking for a format(have to downoad all music&programm's again and there is some work for school which isnt on my usb flash drive.

is there a way to remove these errors(remove virus/spyware) without a fresh install of windows or losing (important) data.

i really hope you can save my ass

+rep for answer's

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by punceh
View Post

for about a week ago my pc has been acting strange. when i open IE when playing music it stops for about 10 secs and continue after that. i also notice my pc is much slower when googling ect. yesterday when i opened internet explorer it also opened 4 other sites(spam sites like get paid for clicking ect). i was kinda confused but did nothing with it(i still have the sites being opened when opening internet explorer).
so i though i had a virus. i scanned my pc with mcafee internet security suite(2009) and it found nothing so i though i let it rest for a night. then today when i am like playing games or internetting mcafee pop's up with a virus. i say "delete" and thats it. also when internetting i get ramdong pop ups from internet explorer which says something about privacy prevention or something(im not english neither is my xp install and i suck in translating).
i'm yet guessing it's a virus but my mcafee doenst find it and im not actually looking for a format(have to downoad all music&programm's again and there is some work for school which isnt on my usb flash drive.

is there a way to remove these errors(remove virus/spyware) without a fresh install of windows or losing (important) data.

+rep for answer's

That's malware man. Go to www.malwarebytes.org and download the free program.

Then scan for malware and spyware. This should fix you up good.

#6 ·
I agree with JadeMiner it is most likely malware or spyware and malware bite is a great program you will also want ot get an antiviris program like avast or avg both have basic versions which are free if you are looking for somthing that is more comprehensive like i have i would recommend zonealarm security suite it is an anti viris and ani spyware program that also has its own fire wall

#8 ·
Screw AntiVir when I installed a freelancer mod last night every file was a potential thread.

Anyways, get Hitman Pro 3 while your at it, it includes all the top spyware databases as well as virus definitions, one scan with Hitman Pro is probably all you'll ever need.

#11 ·
I disagree with ditching McAfee. Does wonders for me. And I test out malware occasionally

McAfee and malwarebytes catches everything together. I used to use more than 2 when I used ewido before discovering malwarebytes... but malwarebytes is VERY complimentary to McAfee. Never had any issues. Only other AV I would recommend is the new Nod32. But if you already bought McAfee just use malwarebytes.

And the free version isn't better, it's just a nice free AV, cuz it does have a relatively extensive database for a free version.

If you buy McAfee after talking to an online rep you can get up to a 50% discount, so I hope you did that :S.

And avoid adaware like the plague.

Adaware, spybot search and destroy, and a few others... AVOID!

#14 ·
Quote:

View Post

is avg(free version) really better than mcafee? i bought this and it was quite expensive(not making so much money) so i think its waste of money to uninstall it right now.
lol like more than 5 posts in 2 minutes....
thanks alot guys.

Support from McAfee will be better, but usual commercial AV's are bloated with fancy GUI's and features that are probably only a hassle instead of doing anything good.

Free AV's do just that, they scan for virusses and no other fancy doolittle doodie doo things.
Plus some Virus scanners use open source code, and open source is slowly getting much better than commercial stuff.

#15 ·
ok thanks all i ran mallware bites and found 4 files and 6 registry keys. i think i'll wait till my mcafee subscription ends then ill probably go to eset. i hear alot from people at work and reviews it like kills almost all other virus/spyware scanners.
again guys thx.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodfire
View Post

I disagree with ditching McAfee. Does wonders for me. And I test out malware occasionally

McAfee and malwarebytes catches everything together. I used to use more than 2 when I used ewido before discovering malwarebytes... but malwarebytes is VERY complimentary to McAfee. Never had any issues. Only other AV I would recommend is the new Nod32. But if you already bought McAfee just use malwarebytes.

And the free version isn't better, it's just a nice free AV, cuz it does have a relatively extensive database for a free version.

If you buy McAfee after talking to an online rep you can get up to a 50% discount, so I hope you did that :S.

And avoid adaware like the plague.

Adaware, spybot search and destroy, and a few others... AVOID!

Mcafee is trash....

http://remove-malware.com/anti-malwa...s-2008-review/

I clean alot of computers and Mcafee doesn't catch much, it's doesn't catch Vundo at all.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulThief
View Post

Screw AntiVir when I installed a freelancer mod last night every file was a potential thread.

Anyways, get Hitman Pro 3 while your at it, it includes all the top spyware databases as well as virus definitions, one scan with Hitman Pro is probably all you'll ever need.

You probably had the heuristics set to "High".

Antivir is very good but at times it will give a false positive, people just can't scan and delete, they have to research a file and make sure it's safe to delete first.

I recommend Antivir before I recommend anything else, that's to all my clients that are somewhat computer literate.

Those who aren't I recommend they either buy Norton 2009 or use AVG.

#18 ·
ok now like 15 different people recommended me 15 different av programm's which according to them is the best. now which one really is the best? i know its probably difficult to say but please recommend me one? a few years ago i got recommended by mcafee(other site) and it probably was the wrong decision so recommend me a good one now please.

#20 ·
Quote:

View Post

+rep for answer's

Stop using IE. What version are you using? 6? Get Firefox

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by icyblizard
View Post

Im suprised no one mentioned Kaspersky AV2009 so far..
I bought the subscription and there has been no problem every since.

Agree.. I have KAV 2009 and have been sub'ed for years and have never once had an issue.. I have Outpost 2009 Pro firewall as well and the two, minus some SpyBot scans each week keep me fast and tidy.

Configuration of said tools also is a big "gotcha". Just like trying to eat with a hammer.. If you don't bring the right tool for the job and use it properly it won't do much good.

#25 ·
about firefox.. i had firefox problems before(random closeup's and alot of error's) thats why start using IE. now i found out firefox wasnt the problem. yet thanks for the recommendations but i'm still gonna use mcafee till subscription ends. subscription ends 19-6-2009 so thats kinda close.

IE version 8(beta)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.