Overclock.net banner

Should I buy a good, $60+- keyboard, or just a regular, run of the mill one.

• Its worth the money!

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Waste of money...

Votes: 13 19.7%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I've been shopping around for keyboards lately, and I've been seeing all these reviews for things like the Sidewinder, or the Razor? The one I'm using now, is some un-branded thing that came with the original pre-built PC, and it does seem a small bit un-responsive/slow but is that just my keyboard, or is that cheap keyboards the world over?

The main use would be things like CAD or a bit of games, and while neither would be super intensive, I'd like to be able to do them comfortably.

So finally, main point, is there any point in buying a good keyboard? The one I have in mind is the Microsoft Sidewinder X4, but I have no clue, so please feel free to tell me what would be best.
(PS, nothing over $75, Its not that important to me.)

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Well there was once a time when really all you were looking for was feel, but now beyond that keyboards these days have tons of macros, you can program this, this, and that to open up at the press of a button.

You probably will want one that is "anti-ghosting". The keyboard should be labeled as such.

Also you should remember that the keyboard is one of the main ways that you communicate with your computer, so make sure you enjoy it!
typer.gif

Personally however, I don't think you need to spend all that much, although for the most part, the more you spend the more features and such!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
For my current build I went all out and got a mechanical keyboard, the Razer BW.

My thoughts on your question:

Spend the extra $$ on a nicer video card or something, mechanical is a joke imo.

Someone will come in here and flame me, so wanted to make sure this is my opinion.
redface.gif

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Well, depends on who you ask. For me, to type on anything worse than what I have right now (Rosewill RK-9000 variants) would be utter blasphemy. Granted, I do use a laptop as well but Lenovo Thinkpads aren't bad when it comes to keyboards.

When I was using the company provided rubber dome keyboards last year, I was getting a lot of pain in my hands. They were exacerbating my Carpal tunnel. After I got a mechanical (Razer Blackwidow) with Cherry MX Blues, my pain went away. I soon moved up to the RK-9000 with MX Blues and now the RK-9000BR with MX Browns and have been happy ever since.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobotheklown View Post

For my current build I went all out and got a mechanical keyboard, the Razer BW.
Spend the extra $$ on a nicer video card or something, mechanical is a joke imo.
Someone will come in here and flame me, so wanted to make sure this is my opinion.
redface.gif
Well I've already got my graphics card, so at this point it's pretty much that I have 100 euro to spare, and I figured I'd see what all the hype about Gaming keyboards and mice was all about. So you'd say don't bother?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:

redface.gif
Just like above ^^

Personally I didn't notice the difference from a mech keyboard to a normal keyboard. Only thing I noticed is the BW is a bit louder on the keys. I went from a saitek cyborg v5 to a mech razer blackwidow. Purchased the razer blackwidow for about $40 open box on newegg so wasn't much of a waste.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCOS View Post

Well I've already got my graphics card, so at this point it's pretty much that I have 100 euro to spare, and I figured I'd see what all the hype about Gaming keyboards and mice was all about. So you'd say don't bother?
If you think you'll really use the extra macro keys and such on gaming keyboards, then I'd say go for it. As far as mechanical switches go, however, I do not prefer them any moreso than I did my Saitek Eclipse, which was a rubber dome keyboard.

TL;DR: If you don't have a problem with the $20 dell keyboard, don't upgrade.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I got a mechanical keyboard, the razor blackwidow ultimate and love it. I was not sure what to expect but I needed a new kb and it was $100. It is just so satisfying typing on it. I've hammered out 5 essays on it with ease. Eve my girlfriend asked to borrow it, she was using my rig for emails one day and was just like "wow what is this, typing on this just feels right"

I think its the satisfaction of feeling the keys, and hearing the keys. I can't really explain it, but if I broke it somehow I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

Gaming keyboards, now thats a scam. They charge you so much for so little. If you got 100~ to spare try out a mechanical keyboard. All those logitech/madcats "gaming" keyboards are just regular 10 dollar keyboards with stuff stuck in them like LCD, changing colors, tons of useless macro keys.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
I've got a Filco Majestouch and it feels 100 times better than my previous Lycosa. They keys on the Lycosa just feel all mushy compared to this. Not heard of anyone going back to a rubber dome keyboard after trying a mechanical.

They are definitely worth looking into at least. There's a switch type to fit everyone's needs, whether it's the noise, the weight or the feedback. The durability is also a large factor as I have had a few keyboards and they have all deteriorated mechanically at some point. These are going to last much longer so I think it's worth the investment as a whole.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiches View Post

I hate that clicking sh** .. annoyyyying. It was annoying 20 years ago when those KB's cost $30. Now they annoy you and rip you off.
Which switches are on the Corsair mechanical KB? Those are nice---no clicking, just solid non-wobble and non-rubber feeling keys.
But for $110? Noooo.
They're cherry reds.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I wouldn't say that buying a mechanical is 100% worth it or 100% a waste of money...it falls somewhere in between. Think of a car that can take both 87 regular fuel and high-octane 110 fuel. If you don't push the car, then regular fuel is fine; but if you race the car regularly, then racing fuel is a must. I do a lot of coding (and writing papers) so a good keyboard is definitely worth it; however, justifying the cost really depends on your use case.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiches View Post

I hate that clicking sh** .. annoyyyying. It was annoying 20 years ago when those KB's cost $30. Now they annoy you and rip you off.
Which switches are on the Corsair mechanical KB? Those are nice---no clicking, just solid non-wobble and non-rubber feeling keys.
But for $110? Noooo.
They're cherry reds.
Okay, thanks.

Know of any like that with less travel? It really couldn't get any better than that.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
The clickiness is also a point of preference. I honestly love the clickiness except I can't use it on a conference call because the clickiness drowns out the person on the phone while I'm taking notes.

I actually keep both the MX Blue and the MX Brown in the office. On the days when I don't have conference calls, MX Blue all the way.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Got a razer blackwidow gifted to me from a fan. I love it, wouldn't ever go back to non-mechanical keyboards.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I would say its worth it, i wouldn't go out and drop a large sum of money on one, but grabbing a cheaper mech. keyboard is the way to go, right now i'm using the cm quickfire and i'm in love with it.
Its solid responsive and relatively small considering its a mech.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I would honestly say to go with a mechanical keyboard. I have one and I love it. Personally I think a lot of complaints with mechs are due to A) Price, but given their durability and better feel, I think it's worth it if you use it enough and B) I think a lot of complaints are because people treat them like rubber domes and continue to hammer the keys like they are used to instead of getting a hold of the half presses that really make a mech shine. Once you get used to it and stop bottoming out they are an absolute dream to use. Just my 2c though!

·
Registered
75 Posts
YES*

Your keyboard is one of the three ways in which you interact with you PC, so imho they do matter. I have a Razer BW and really like it, yes it was a little $$$ but it should be able to last a bit longer than an equivalent membrane KB.

My advice would be to go down to a store and have a play with one, see how it feels, you may love it, throw your money and the cashier and race home to get started. You may hate it and scream at the cashier for trying to rip you off.

Cheers
Zane

*imo

note: always be nice to your cashier, they're people too and don't want to be creamed at anymore than you do.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts