Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe, I'll upgrade, and I was taking a look at AMD's options.

What's up with the 720? how good is it's performance specially with the 5th core unlocked, compared with the "stock quad cores" like the 955?

Also, if I get the 720, which motherboard could allow me to unlock the 4th core with full stability and overclocking performance? these are the options available http://www.digitalife.com.mx/digital...on=2&categ=200

I have another question: DDR2 or DDR3? does it really makes a difference with this plattform?

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Ice, there is no guarantee's as far as unlocking any 2/3 core chips even with all the right stuff. I purchased a Phenom II x2 550 and i could not get it unlocked, well unlocked but could not ever get it to boot to windows.

If your really wanting a quad i would spend the money and get one, if you are expecting to purchase the 720 and turn it into a quad, your expecting to much!

·
Banned
5,782 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FREELINE57
View Post

Ice, there is no guarantee's as far as unlocking any 2/3 core chips even with all the right stuff. I purchased a Phenom II x2 550 and i could not get it unlocked, well unlocked but could not ever get it to boot to windows.

If your really wanting a quad i would spend the money and get one, if you are expecting to purchase the 720 and turn it into a quad, your expecting to much!

+1
My 720 does not unlock. DDR3 really isn't a significant performance boost but if you're buying new, I see no reason to stick with older DDR2. Go with AM3/DDR3.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
it will be a decent upgrade from your sig. especially that you can get a cheap quality crossfire mobo for you to add another 4870.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts