Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend wants to trade me his ati 5970 2 gig for my gtx 460. My main priority of my pc is gaming (CSS, bc2, bf3, etc). My system is kinda aging but I don't wanna upgrade just yet. How well do you think it will be for games etc?

650i sli
4 gigs ddr2 800
[email protected] ghz

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
Why would he want to make that trade? It's a pretty big downgrade for him. I'd go for it if I was you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thank you. Now my main concern is my psu. I have a 550 watt thermaltake psu, the 5970 requires a 650 watt. Can I get away with using the 550 watt till I can get one in a couple weeks? I don't plan on doing anything stressful and definitely no over clocking, just some cs source. Or is that cutting it close?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
the 5970 will crush the 460. but I'm curious why does your friend want to make such a big downgrade? there must be something wrong with the 5970.

BTW i just noticed you have two 460? does he want you to trade with your 2X 460 with his 5970? or only one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geforce man View Post

Ok thank you. Now my main concern is my psu. I have a 550 watt thermaltake psu, the 5970 requires a 650 watt. Can I get away with using the 550 watt till I can get one in a couple weeks? I don't plan on doing a
nop. you need a bigger PSU. I think a 750W will be good enough.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually only have 1 460 and he wants to get rid of it cuz he says the card conflicts with his recording software. He sold me my current pc that I have 2 years ago, he's reliable lol.

So would the card be able to at least run with the 550 till I get one? Just normal desktop work, nothing serious?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geforce man View Post

I actually only have 1 460 and he wants to get rid of it cuz he says the card conflicts with his recording software. He sold me my current pc that I have 2 years ago, he's reliable lol.
So would the card be able to at least run with the 550 till I get one? Just normal desktop work, nothing serious?
as I said above nop you need at least 650-750W

·
Banned
711 Posts
Yeah don't play any games with that card until you have a power supply.. you'll be out a power supply at best, and may take some other components with it if you have really crappy luck..

$85-$100 should get you a decent 700W Antec PSU or maybe even a Corsair on sale.

You're going to need a PSU at some point anyway, so for the nice GPU upgrade it's definitely worth it. That card is worth more than the PSU will cost you, and is a nice improvement over the 460 for sure!

·
Registered
311 Posts
He's trading down because AMD drivers sucks.

Never again, for me. I'll take a slower card any day.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post

as I said above nop you need at least 650-750W
A few months ago I would probably have agreed with this, but around christmas time I bought a friend of mine a a 6970 2GB and when I went to install it for him I noticed he only had a 6 year old 375watt Dell/Foxconn POS psu so I rigged it up anyway and 5 months later hes still gaming hard. So I did a bit of research and found this to be the case alot of the time, manufacturers exagerate and "Noob Proof" minimum power requirements. So I think 550 is adequate just don't overclock the hell out if it and you should be fine.
thumb.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts