Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going into graphic design for college when I graduate an I do alot at home.
Question is, is 3 way sli 5970 worth it? Also if I want to design in 3d would I have to get an nvidea card for 3d technology?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Intresting Enough
View Post

I'm going into graphic design for college when I graduate an I do alot at home.
Question is, is 3 way sli 5970 worth it? Also if I want to design in 3d would I have to get an nvidea card for 3d technology?

3 way sli 5970 ? wow wow hold on

5970 is 2 cards so can combine 2 of them for quad fire , for designers this is useless cause you can work with just a gts 250 .
If you want massive results you need to check quaddro nvidia

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
1-SLI is for NVIDIA
2-CrossFire/QuadFire is for ATI
3-I doubt you'll need 3 cards. 1 should be powerful enough. Maybe a GTX460 is good enough.

·
Registered
384 Posts
No. I would not even consider dual 5970 due to serious crossfire issues. Best go for Tri/Quad 480s - SLI is far more efficient than crossfire. Of course, you will also need to upgrade your power supply.

As for your second question, it depends on your design program, and whether or not it supports 3d output, but if it does, then nvidia is the only way to go.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jammy4041
View Post

No. I would not even consider dual 5970 due to serious crossfire issues. Best go for Tri/Quad 480s - SLI is far more efficient than crossfire. Of course, you will also need to upgrade your power supply.

As for your second question, it depends on your design program, and whether or not it supports 3d output, but if it does, then nvidia is the only way to go.

im scared of 3 or 4 480s cause it doesnt leave room to upgrade, if something else comes out i have no space.

but then again 3d is good

and yeah sorry about the crossfire sli mix up. and true sli is better than crossfire but not by much.

why cant they just have a 10gb DDR8 card w/ 3d tech or something to make everyones life easier

1 - 6 of 6 Posts