Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can't decide if i should upgrade my rig to 12700k or 12900k(IK overkill) z690 with DDR5 6000MHz

must useg is for gaming at [email protected] or 120fps if possible at my LG C1 55'

current :
CPU 9700k
GIGABYTE AORUS MASTER Z390
CORSAIR Vengeance 2x8 3000mhz CL15
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti ULTRA HYBRID
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 80+ GOLD
SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB

anyone had this upgrade?

·
Premium Member
20,851 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I mean, is it better, yes; is it worth it? Probably not (from a value perspective), IMO. If you just want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, don't let me stop you!

On TPU and G3D, at 4K it doesn't seem like there is really that much of a difference between any of the CPUs released in the last few generations (other than the 5700G/5600G in Far Cry 5). A 10400F is less than 10% worse than the 12900K with a 3080 for TPUs bench. Wish G3D had a 9700K on their charts, but the 9900K is usually only a few frames behind the 12900K.

·
PC Evangelist
48,378 Posts
At 4K, you will not see any difference.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,194 Posts
At 4K, you will not see any difference.
Depends on the games you play... so OP, are there any games you wish to play at 4k 120hz that your 3080ti feels bottlenecked?

If no, I would just hold onto the next gen of intel and avoid being a first adopter of alder lake.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,194 Posts
To play devil's advocate, the i5 12400 is an interesting upgrade. 6c/12t processor that make sense if you want avoid going crazy on the budget.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,751 Posts
can't decide if i should upgrade my rig to 12700k or 12900k(IK overkill) z690 with DDR5 6000MHz

must useg is for gaming at [email protected] or 120fps if possible at my LG C1 55'

current :
CPU 9700k
GIGABYTE AORUS MASTER Z390
CORSAIR Vengeance 2x8 3000mhz CL15
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti ULTRA HYBRID
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 80+ GOLD
SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB

anyone had this upgrade?
Why not just upgrade to a 9900K?

It doubles the threadcount and alleviates any bottleneck you might have. Even upgrading to a 10th gen part would be a valid strategy currently. I only say this because, yes... it's a powerful upgrade, but unless you're seriously going to tap into that power on a daily basis, why not just max out the system you possess as best as able and run with it?

Adding HT to your CPU legit changes up how well your system handles games/programs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
even the 12600K should be plenty enough for gaming, you can even opt to use DDR4 or adopt DDR5 on it as well if you don't want to break the bank on it...
if i upgrade i prefer to go with the new tech, to not need an upgrade again any time soon

I mean, is it better, yes; is it worth it? Probably not (from a value perspective), IMO. If you just want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, don't let me stop you!

On TPU and G3D, at 4K it doesn't seem like there is really that much of a difference between any of the CPUs released in the last few generations (other than the 5700G/5600G in Far Cry 5). A 10400F is less than 10% worse than the 12900K with a 3080 for TPUs bench. Wish G3D had a 9700K on their charts, but the 9900K is usually only a few frames behind the 12900K.
yea, couldn't find any comparison charts between 9700k to 12700k or 12900k.
so i wondering if anybody here done this upgrade here, and can share some thoughts...

Depends on the games you play... so OP, are there any games you wish to play at 4k 120hz that your 3080ti feels bottlenecked?

If no, I would just hold onto the next gen of intel and avoid being a first adopter of alder lake.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk2077, Red Dead Redemption 2
all games i get 50~60fps at 4k everything maxed out
don't know if it possible to squeeze more 10~15fps with the 12700k...
[email protected] with low settings maybe on this type of games

It doubles the threadcount and alleviates any bottleneck you might have. Even upgrading to a 10th gen part would be a valid strategy currently. I only say this because, yes... it's a powerful upgrade, but unless you're seriously going to tap into that power on a daily basis, why not just max out the system you possess as best as able and run with it?

Adding HT to your CPU legit changes up how well your system handles games/programs.
no point there, i won't benefit any thing from 9900k
only 2~3% gain in gaming, that was the first resone i bought the 9700k instead the 9900k..
and if upgrade needed IMO, better to go with the new tech, to be covered and not to think about it any time soon.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
6,053 Posts
only 2~3% gain in gaming, that was the first resone i bought the 9700k instead the 9900k..
and if upgrade needed IMO, better to go with the new tech, to be covered and not to think about it any time soon.
Being that you play at 4k...

Keep the 8700k or go all in with a DDR5 based 12700k. Personally for the system overall I'd just plop in a used 9900k and call it a day... having 8 more threads will do you far more than an IPC jump will at your resolution. I've seen my 10900 hit 60-70% usage in some games.. and that's at 4k with a 6900XT. Your 8c8t setup is limiting you, especially when it comes to 1% lows or if you ever decide to have a few things running in the background.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,194 Posts
Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk2077, Red Dead Redemption 2
all games i get 50~60fps at 4k everything maxed out
don't know if it possible to squeeze more 10~15fps with the 12700k...
[email protected] with low settings maybe on this type of games
For $1000 USD, (cpu/mobo/ram), I think it's completely insane to move to Alder lake for potentially less dips or maybe 10fps at 4k for those games.

If you were playing a bunch of old, single threaded games or competitive shooters, I would maybe consider it if budget isn't a concern. However, for those big open world games at that resolution, the CPU really isn't holding back your GPU.

Don't do it. Just wait...

·
Official Luddite of OCN
6,053 Posts
For $1000 USD, (cpu/mobo/ram), I think it's completely insane to move to Alder lake for potentially less dips or maybe 10fps at 4k for those games.

If you were playing a bunch of old, single threaded games or competitive shooters, I would maybe consider it if budget isn't a concern. However, for those big open world games at that resolution, the CPU really isn't holding back your GPU.

Don't do it. Just wait...
Agree 100%. Only justifiable option for an improvement to the system is if he can score a 9900k around $300 and sell his 8700k. Nothing else makes sense. I held off on upgrading a 4790k until 2021 as most games I played were still very gpu bound at 4k.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

I went from 8700K to 9900KF at the same clock. Even the 2 extra physical cores were noticeable when booting into Windows (when all my startup apps are opening)

·
Old ain't dead
2,873 Posts
My wife and I are upgrading to alder lake. She was using a 5700G and upgraded to a 12700k. In games I don't notice a HUGE improvement but I do notice some. I will be upgrading from a 9400F to a 12400 and I cant wait to see the improvement.

I don't think you will notice much of a difference to be honest but there will be a FPS increase in most games... just not much. Is it worth is, not really. Would I do it? Yes.

If you want the best bang for your buck I would go for a 12600k but a 12700K would surely increase the coolness factor. Microcenter has some dang good prices on them FYI.

You can get i9 9900K all day long for $250-$275.00 or you can opt for a 12600k for $270.00

Personally I would go with a 12600k and DDR4 and an affordable motherboard for now. Maybe next year upgrade to DDR5 when prices drop. Sell your 9700K while you can for $200.00.

- Obz

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,751 Posts
Yes you will. Doubling your thread count will massively improve overall performance. Remember, you're not talking about an 8-core chip in 2017. 2021 already saw several games pushing well past the 6-thread use territory. Heck, I know of a few non-AAA titles that would casually use half my current CPU without even trying.

You play at 4k and want a better CPU. Increase your threadcount with the 9900K and you'll see the increase you want. The only way you'll see the kinds of increases you THINK you'll see is when you upgrade to a new GPU. Don't conflate the two ideas as the same thing. They aren't, by a longshot they aren't.

·
Registered
i9-12900K
801 Posts
Probably not. Wait until DDR5 is on the shelves, then re-evaluate.

·
Banned
37 Posts
I did an upgrade from the 1800X with 3000mhz DDR4 to the 5600X with 3733mhz DDR4 and felt it was an excellent upgrade, although in most uses, I see not much of a difference. Where it really mattered was emulation and games that require much more IPC than usual.

I would assume a 9700K is quite a bit slower but you need the right games and use case scenario to see a difference.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I guess I have a weird point of view on this. I have a "just in case" aka backup computer. That consists currently of a Z390 Aorus Master and 9600K. Biggest thing I would notice on newer games is sitting at 100% CPU constantly. This isn't a problem with a 9700K that only has two more cores/threads?

My main computer until recently was a 3900X on a B550 Vision D. I probably wouldn't have "upgraded" that except for the last 6 months I've had USB drop out. Which had never been a problem, but once it started nothing solved it. I considered just buying a new motherboard but if the problem persisted I would have not been happy about it.

The money was there so I got an Alder Lake setup. However, I was not able to ever find DDR5 "in stock" that I could actually get into a cart and buy before it was gone. So I went with DDR4. So for me there was a bit more reason as having your USB vanish when you use a USB DAC etc becomes a pain very quickly.

I also find the E cores advantageous.

With a fully functional system and if spending the money is a concern? It probably isn't worth it. As a hobby with "new shiny" and the money isn't a concern? Well... the answer to that is a bit different.

My two main irritations with Alder Lake are 1) I don't feel like fighting over current DDR5 and 2) Most of the Motherboards regardless of price point have something that makes no sense to me. In many ways I feel most offer less than Z590 models oddly. I guess that depends on how you look at it as well.

·
Registered
5900X, RTX 3080
854 Posts
If you have the money available, the parts in stock (incl. DDR5), and want the extra performance, then the obvious answer is yes. If you feel that your current configuration is satisfactory, I'd probably wait until DDR5 supply improves and kinks with motherboards and microcode are resolved (e.g. next 12th Gen. microcode will remove AVX512 from all 12th Gen. CPUs).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts