Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a prebuilt asus g11df-dbr7-gtx1070 computer that came with a amd ryzen 7 1700, 8gb ddr4 2400mhz, and a gtx 1070 and I was wondering if it was worth the money to upgrade my ryzen 7 1700 to the ryzen 7 2700x? The motherboard is a proprietary g11df b350 motherboard for specific for this asus model computer

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,730 Posts
Depends on what you do, but even so in almost all cases, no. You'd be better served by getting 16gb of faster DDR4 memory especially if you are gaming. That is, assuming your board has support for it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it supports up to 32GB 2x16GB of same speed memory. So it would not be worth the extra money to upgrade to the ryzen 7 2700x but I should upgrade the memory instead correct? Is there much difference between the ryzen 7 1700 and the ryzen 7 2700x besides the base clock and the turbo? I mostly us it for gaming but do a lot of video streaming and internet surfing but usually have about 35-100 tabs open in chrome in any given time when I'm using it for internet surfing. Most of the PC games announced at e3 this year I'm planning on getting and playing on this computer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
With the OP usage scenario, definitely get 16GB ram & the fastest speed your mobo will support. Can't find the link to it now, but some time ago it was proven that faster ram & lots of it makes a diff in FPS.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what if my computer only supports 1 speed of ddr4 memory? Should I get more than 16Gb of memory or or upgrade the cpu?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,840 Posts
The IPC gains from a 1700 to a 2700 is only about 3% at the same clock. The extra ~200mhz isn't going to really be all that beneficial.

If your board only supports one speed, then buy that speed - but I really doubt it only supports one type of RAM speed. A bit of Googling says your board supports RAM up to 2400 - so anything faster will just be downclocked to 2400 ...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If it will just be downclocked back down to 2400MHz wouldn't be pointless to buy any faster speed memory? If so would it be better to buy more than 16GB of memory? Don't get me wrong all the cpu, gpu, and ssd are picking up the slack of the memory but at times I still see it start lagging at times but it runs most games at 4k at ultra at 30-40fps without any lag and I can still stream videos while doing that but I'm sure that has to due with my gtx 1070. I mean if it were a amd fx cpu with a gtx 1070 I probably wouldn't be able to do that. But I would prefer over 100fps on 4k at ultra on the games I play. With the new games coming out I'm sure they will demand higher system specs and forza horizon 4 would I'm sure be no different.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It depends what games you play, with stuff like FO4 using 5Gb on avg as an example. At least that's what MS resource monitor tells me whilst in game. Depending on what chipset is in that mobo I'd go with whatever top speed AMD officially supports for it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The chipset on my mobo is B350. Most of the games announced during the xbox and square enix e3 press conferences that were for pc as well as console plus forza horizon 3, tales of berseria, aot 1&2, db xenoverse 1&2, dbfigherz, the senran kagura games, nights of azure 1&2, Akibas Trip, and the sword art online games except fallout and battlefield. Those are the games I currently or plan to play. I don't play any of the battlefield and fallout games.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
The only benefit you would get with an R7 2700X is XFR2, which isn't enough of a reason to upgrade in my opinion. Upgrading RAM makes more sense, but I'm not sure how much of a performance improvement you'll see. You should be able to overclock the RAM.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can only oc the video card and that's within the os itself cause the computer is running an old style bios that doesn't provide any oc potential.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ok since my mobo only supports 1 speed which is ddr4 2400MHz should I upgrade all the way up to 32GB? I forgot to mention I also don't play pubg or fortnite either. I keep asking that question cause I never got an answer to it.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
ok since my mobo only supports 1 speed which is ddr4 2400MHz should I upgrade all the way up to 32GB? I forgot to mention I also don't play pubg or fortnite either. I keep asking that question cause I never got an answer to it.
When I used to stream on twitch the highest RAM use I would see was 12GB and that was only on BF1, so that said 16GB will be more than enough. 32GB is more of a workstation amount of RAM. Even though your system only supports 2400mhz, if you think this will be a hobby and that you might upgrade the RAM you can get faster RAM, it will just run at the fastest the motherboard will allow.

Side note, if you are already upgrading, if you can return the system why not build your own?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cause the gpu prices are still through the roof and this was the cheapest way to get a computer with ryzen and a gtx 1070. I only paid $988 for this prebuilt computer. and normally to build a ryzen computer with a gtx 1070 it would take about another $2k-$4k which I don't have and won't have till sometime next year cause I'm hoping I'm going to be able have a lot of money from school next year. Next year I'll probably buy a custom origin pc that I'll have origin build for me that will have faster memory and have the newest ryzen cpu and the newest gtx unless the gtx 1070 is still the current gpu and have a faster m.2 ssd and a bigger capacity hdd.

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
Cause the gpu prices are still through the roof and this was the cheapest way to get a computer with ryzen and a gtx 1070. I only paid $988 for this prebuilt computer. and normally to build a ryzen computer with a gtx 1070 it would take about another $2k-$4k which I don't have and won't have till sometime next year cause I'm hoping I'm going to be able have a lot of money from school next year. Next year I'll probably buy a custom origin pc that I'll have origin build for me that will have faster memory and have the newest ryzen cpu and the newest gtx unless the gtx 1070 is still the current gpu and have a faster m.2 ssd and a bigger capacity hdd.
The amount of ram does not matter more than its speed since ryzen relies on ram speed. So, CPU "upgrade" isn't worth it.

Prolly a new motherboard and 16GB ram of 3200 speed might cost same as a new CPU but will make better impact.

Wait for the lines of B450 motherboards.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts