Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have not been around here for quite some time, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

Long story short, I built this system 10 years ago and it has ran great and handled what I needed, I have had no reason to upgrade until recently when I got a camera and the larger files take forever to work with.

My current setup is:

quad core Q9550 overclocked to 3.6ghz (was 3.8ghz for the first 5 years, then dropped it down to extend the life more, still going strong)
Asus P5Q premium
8gb ram
128gb Sata SSD
GTX 280
4-6 storage hard drives at any given time, if someone has a hard drive dock (or even better a hot swap 5.25 bay adapter) for cheap, let me know.
Antec 200 case
Underpowered ~450w powersupply I had to use when my last one died recently. Causes problems under high GPU loads and my rear USB ports don't work right with it.

I use it for occasional photo/video editing, gaming, general use. Nothing super intensive like I used to but enough to show it's age and annoy me.

So my question is pretty simple. Keep in mind I have hardly kept up with computer tech in the last 6 years or so. Can I get any kind of worthwhile upgrade to this setup for less then ~$150-200 max (what I think I can get from selling off some older PC's I have laying around).

I would only really need the motherboard, CPU, cooler, ram and video card, everything else I could reuse if needed.

Any good bang for the buck models I should look for?

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With a budget of $150-$200?

No.
Obviously I am looking at used hardware on ebay / craigslist.

I have found a few deals for like I5 setups for under that price point but I had an I5 computer I found at a garage sale for $15 awhile back and when I benchmarked it vs my computer mine was actually a bit faster except for the ram speed IIRC.

What about upgrading to a xenon CPU to get a little extra out of what I have? I have seen this mentioned while searching.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Ok, I have not been around here for quite some time, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

Long story short, I built this system 10 years ago and it has ran great and handled what I needed, I have had no reason to upgrade until recently when I got a camera and the larger files take forever to work with.

My current setup is:

quad core Q9550 overclocked to 3.6ghz (was 3.8ghz for the first 5 years, then dropped it down to extend the life more, still going strong)
Asus P5Q premium
8gb ram
128gb Sata SSD
GTX 280
4-6 storage hard drives at any given time, if someone has a hard drive dock (or even better a hot swap 5.25 bay adapter) for cheap, let me know.
Antec 200 case
Underpowered ~450w powersupply I had to use when my last one died recently. Causes problems under high GPU loads and my rear USB ports don't work right with it.

I use it for occasional photo/video editing, gaming, general use. Nothing super intensive like I used to but enough to show it's age and annoy me.

So my question is pretty simple. Keep in mind I have hardly kept up with computer tech in the last 6 years or so. Can I get any kind of worthwhile upgrade to this setup for less then ~$150-200 max (what I think I can get from selling off some older PC's I have laying around).

I would only really need the motherboard, CPU, cooler, ram and video card, everything else I could reuse if needed.

Any good bang for the buck models I should look for?

Thanks for any tips.
Is the slow down CPU related? You try different editors?

Or is it storage speed limitations? As slow IO can make one think the PC is at fault when it really is just an IO problem.

I have found a few deals for like I5 setups for under that price point but I had an I5 computer I found at a garage sale for $15 awhile back and when I benchmarked it vs my computer mine was actually a bit faster except for the ram speed IIRC.

What about upgrading to a xenon CPU to get a little extra out of what I have? I have seen this mentioned while searching.

Yeah you can get old i5 sandy/ivy bridge machines even on ebay for pretty cheap. Under $100. Only thing that sucks is they tend to be SFF units, but you can find towers every now and then. SFF isn't bad if you like small computers and don't mind using a SFF videocard like a gtx1050ti if you also like to game. And limited in storage options on the inside. But if you make sure you have usb 3.0 and esata if you can, you are well off with external options.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the slow down CPU related? You try different editors?

Or is it storage speed limitations? As slow IO can make one think the PC is at fault when it really is just an IO problem.

Yeah you can get old i5 sandy/ivy bridge machines even on ebay for pretty cheap. Under $100. Only thing that sucks is they tend to be SFF units, but you can find towers every now and then. SFF isn't bad if you like small computers and don't mind using a SFF videocard like a gtx1050ti if you also like to game. And limited in storage options on the inside. But if you make sure you have usb 3.0 and esata if you can, you are well off with external options.
The slow down is a combo of factors. It just depends on what I am doing at the time as to what the bottleneck is. Although the CPU is the most common bottleneck I see. Which is why I am considering a cheap Xenon upgrade to get a little more out of it if a full upgrade is not practical. General IO is not great either though.

Indeed, I have seen a lot of the pre-built machines for under my budget, I would really like to stay away from that if possible though. Everytime I have tried a pre-built machine I end up regretting it due to how limited they are to upgrades. Plus I need a lot of sata ports ideally.

One issue I am having is even making sense of the models, I don't know what I should be looking for.

Far as gaming goes, I always like to think I will game but just don't have much time for it much now days, so anything better then my GTX 280 is fine or I could reuse it worst case, it is just so dang big it is annoying to deal with.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
The slow down is a combo of factors. It just depends on what I am doing at the time as to what the bottleneck is. Although the CPU is the most common bottleneck I see. Which is why I am considering a cheap Xenon upgrade to get a little more out of it if a full upgrade is not practical. General IO is not great either though.

Indeed, I have seen a lot of the pre-built machines for under my budget, I would really like to stay away from that if possible though. Everytime I have tried a pre-built machine I end up regretting it due to how limited they are to upgrades. Plus I need a lot of sata ports ideally.

One issue I am having is even making sense of the models, I don't know what I should be looking for.

Far as gaming goes, I always like to think I will game but just don't have much time for it much now days, so anything better then my GTX 280 is fine or I could reuse it worst case, it is just so dang big it is annoying to deal with.
Well are you getting 100% on the cores, or just a single core if that app is single threaded. That Q9550 should still be pretty decent @ 3.6ghz... Lightroom isn't that CPU intensive. But not really sure what program you are using to edit. I have Lightroom on my Apollo lake atom ultrabook, as I too have a DSLR. And it does alright I must say, and that probably still a little slower than a stock q9550.

I still have a couple of my old 775 systems laying around in boxes. A Q9550 with my old trusty EP45-UD3P, As well as a P5Q SE with a X5470 with the 771 to 775 mod. Now my q9550 has no problems runing at 4ghz, but regardless. Moving from a 3.6hz to 4ghz C2Q isn't going to help much. Unless you are running a heavily multithreaded task that can take advantage of all core and could use the boost on each of them. As you can get a X5460 or x5470 and perhaps run a 4.25ghz, but at those levels I would start worrying if your motherboard can take it. The P45 chipset is the best for overclocking for sure, but the Asus P5Q boards very greatly depending on the model you have. And unless you are rocking something closer to what the gigabyte EP45 boards offered at the time in terms of power delivery and stability at higher clock rates, I don't see much else you can do.

I picked up my X5470 for around $50 couple years ago (got lucky), and overclocks pretty easy. E0 stepping is a must, my q9550 is also a E0 and I used to run it at 4.25ghz when it was my main machine many years ago.

Thing about those cheap prebuilt i5's is that usb3.0 is WAY faster than SataII like your motherboard has. You can get 4 bay external usb3.0/esata enclosures for around 100 bucks. I have one for my data server, which can only store 6 drivers internally. A Sandy i5 will run circles around even a 4.2ghz C2Q, and ddr3 is good deal faster than ddr2... Honestly even those machines have so much more potential than the rig you have...

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

That was a really crappy i5 then.

Your budget is too low for DIY. A refurbished 5th gen or later i5/i7 pre built will fit your budget and be faster than what you have.

High RAM prices and high GPU prices make DIY expensive right now, but just CPU+motherboard is going to run $120-150 for something low end. $400-500 would be ax more reasonable target given the age of your components (nothing is reusable)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think you could see a decent upgrade with using Ebay parts. Keep in mind that you won't have any guarantee on how well they will overclock.

2500k + P67 motherboard + 8gb DDR3 = $125 sipped the absolute most I would spend. A little more if it comes with 16gb.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-I5-2...729913?hash=item4d6d63a9f9:g:c-kAAOSwn9VaW~No

https://www.ebay.com/itm/msi-mother...262438?hash=item3f937b2b66:g:pPkAAOSww-BaeOUC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-i5-2...123296?hash=item4d6cef98a0:g:5LoAAOSwL9pacpsg

You can then pick up a GTX 960, AMD 270x or similar card for about $75 shipped. 960 > 270x but its all about tie price point.

I think that combo would give you a healthy boost in performance.

You can go with am OEM like Dell to get a complete system with say a second gen I5/Sandy Xeon but they will be locked down in terms of overclock ability which is where you would get most of your performance boost.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
I think you could see a decent upgrade with using Ebay parts. Keep in mind that you won't have any guarantee on how well they will overclock.

2500k + P67 motherboard + 8gb DDR3 = $125 sipped the absolute most I would spend. A little more if it comes with 16gb.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-I5-2...729913?hash=item4d6d63a9f9:g:c-kAAOSwn9VaW~No

https://www.ebay.com/itm/msi-mother...262438?hash=item3f937b2b66:g:pPkAAOSww-BaeOUC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-i5-2...123296?hash=item4d6cef98a0:g:5LoAAOSwL9pacpsg

You can then pick up a GTX 960, AMD 270x or similar card for about $75 shipped. 960 > 270x but its all about tie price point.

You can go with am OEM like Dell to get a complete system with say a second gen I5/Sandy Xeon but they will be locked down in terms of overclock ability which is where you would get most of your performance boost.
This is what I would do as well. If he doesn't game he can wait on the video card. But I would totally try and get a Sandy/Ivy Setup.

The Jump from a C2Q to a Sandy is a Massive improvement, Single Thread performance is a massive difference Clock for Clock. Even when you compare a 4ghz C2Q to a Stock i5 around 3ghz, the i5 is a great deal faster. And a if you get an unlocked Sandy chip and overclock you are looking at really fast speeds. But honestly if you are going for an unlocked chip get the i7 2600k... It is well worth it.

Stay away from first gen i5/i7 chips like the i5 750..... A 4ghz Q9550 will slightly outmatch a stock i5 750.... No debate. A Stock 2500k will outclass a i5 750 @ 4ghz, to give you can idea how much faster a 2500k is compared to a C2Q. It is massive.

I still rock a 2600K simply because at 4.8ghz it is a monster. It is the chip that doesn't stop being great. Plenty of people will probably still rock it when it hits the 10yo mark.

I picked up a cheap Ivy Bridge Mobo/cpu combo for my SFF Lan PC,with the 3470. Boosts upto 3.6ghz, and makes for a damn solid rig. That and the SFF gtx1050ti it plays every game and nice solid frame rates with the 120hz 1080p monitor I carry around with it. Great for Overwatch with the Boy's. Spend under $100 on the combo, as I was using my Q9550 @ 3.8ghz before and that just didn't cut it for modern video games. Battlefield was a slide show, and overwatch wasn't as fluid as I would like. I kinda blame the slow DDR2, even though it had 8gb. As I have a buddy with a Phenom X6 @ 4ghz and overwatch and battlefield was decent. Single Thread performance is about the same, but the LGA775 platform was crap. And the C2Q is two C2D's glued together...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well are you getting 100% on the cores, or just a single core if that app is single threaded. That Q9550 should still be pretty decent @ 3.6ghz... Lightroom isn't that CPU intensive. But not really sure what program you are using to edit. I have Lightroom on my Apollo lake atom ultrabook, as I too have a DSLR. And it does alright I must say, and that probably still a little slower than a stock q9550.

I still have a couple of my old 775 systems laying around in boxes. A Q9550 with my old trusty EP45-UD3P, As well as a P5Q SE with a X5470 with the 771 to 775 mod. Now my q9550 has no problems runing at 4ghz, but regardless. Moving from a 3.6hz to 4ghz C2Q isn't going to help much. Unless you are running a heavily multithreaded task that can take advantage of all core and could use the boost on each of them. As you can get a X5460 or x5470 and perhaps run a 4.25ghz, but at those levels I would start worrying if your motherboard can take it. The P45 chipset is the best for overclocking for sure, but the Asus P5Q boards very greatly depending on the model you have. And unless you are rocking something closer to what the gigabyte EP45 boards offered at the time in terms of power delivery and stability at higher clock rates, I don't see much else you can do.

I picked up my X5470 for around $50 couple years ago (got lucky), and overclocks pretty easy. E0 stepping is a must, my q9550 is also a E0 and I used to run it at 4.25ghz when it was my main machine many years ago.

Thing about those cheap prebuilt i5's is that usb3.0 is WAY faster than SataII like your motherboard has. You can get 4 bay external usb3.0/esata enclosures for around 100 bucks. I have one for my data server, which can only store 6 drivers internally. A Sandy i5 will run circles around even a 4.2ghz C2Q, and ddr3 is good deal faster than ddr2... Honestly even those machines have so much more potential than the rig you have...
I use several CPU intensive programs, they all multi-thread pretty well, generally maxing out all 4 cores pretty well.

This is kind of what I figured would be the case, a low end setup I can get today should really put a hurting on my 10 year old setup but when looking up benchmarks it has just not seemed to pan out. Of course I have no clue what models to look for or even how the new numbering system from intel works, just a bunch of random numbers to me. I miss the days of a class of CPU and then the speed. Higher numbers = better. Simple lol.

Having never tried USB 3 I have never really considered it all that great since I was always less then impressed with USB 1/2 speeds even when they were brand new. I will have to keep this in mind.

That was a really crappy i5 then.

Your budget is too low for DIY. A refurbished 5th gen or later i5/i7 pre built will fit your budget and be faster than what you have.

High RAM prices and high GPU prices make DIY expensive right now, but just CPU+motherboard is going to run $120-150 for something low end. $400-500 would be ax more reasonable target given the age of your components (nothing is reusable)
Yeah, CPU, motherboard and ram would all need to be new, I keep hoping I can find a combo with these that would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks, this is just the kind of info I was looking for, some kind of target to watch for a deal on.

So it seems that the 2500k is a well respected chip at a reasonable price point. Any others I should keep an eye out for? I have no problem running xeons if they offer more bang for the buck as well.

Is the P67 board the best for this generation? Anything else I should watch out for?

I built a new computer every ear or 2 since the 90's until this machine when life hit and I could not afford it anymore. just to let everyone know what kind of experience I have. I am just totally out of the loop since then.

I know there is always that sweet spot where you can the most performance for the least amount of money, I am basically looking for some targets to hunt down on the used market that are that sweet spot or 1 step below that sweet spot to save some extra cash.

If anyone on here has a setup I might be interested in, feel free to let me know, apparently I don't have enough reps to use the BST section.

Far as the video card goes, ya'll are thinking way over what I am. I was looking at options last night and think something along the lines of a GTX 480 or GTX 650 is a better fit for me. I am way behind on gaming so I am still playing games from several years ago and these should have plenty of power based on the fact my 280 can play them with lower graphics settings.

Plus they are around $30 which is about the most I would spend on a video card right now unless it was a real good deal. cutting the power usage of the card would be great as well. Anyone know what the sweet spot for older video cards is with performance better then a GTX 280? A smaller and lower TDP card would be great, and more then 2 outputs would also be fantastic. I have to use an old 7900gt to run my 3rd monitor right now.

This is what I would do as well. If he doesn't game he can wait on the video card. But I would totally try and get a Sandy/Ivy Setup.

The Jump from a C2Q to a Sandy is a Massive improvement, Single Thread performance is a massive difference Clock for Clock. Even when you compare a 4ghz C2Q to a Stock i5 around 3ghz, the i5 is a great deal faster. And a if you get an unlocked Sandy chip and overclock you are looking at really fast speeds. But honestly if you are going for an unlocked chip get the i7 2600k... It is well worth it.

Stay away from first gen i5/i7 chips like the i5 750..... A 4ghz Q9550 will slightly outmatch a stock i5 750.... No debate. A Stock 2500k will outclass a i5 750 @ 4ghz, to give you can idea how much faster a 2500k is compared to a C2Q. It is massive.

I still rock a 2600K simply because at 4.8ghz it is a monster. It is the chip that doesn't stop being great. Plenty of people will probably still rock it when it hits the 10yo mark.

I picked up a cheap Ivy Bridge Mobo/cpu combo for my SFF Lan PC,with the 3470. Boosts upto 3.6ghz, and makes for a damn solid rig. That and the SFF gtx1050ti it plays every game and nice solid frame rates with the 120hz 1080p monitor I carry around with it. Great for Overwatch with the Boy's. Spend under $100 on the combo, as I was using my Q9550 @ 3.8ghz before and that just didn't cut it for modern video games. Battlefield was a slide show, and overwatch wasn't as fluid as I would like. I kinda blame the slow DDR2, even though it had 8gb. As I have a buddy with a Phenom X6 @ 4ghz and overwatch and battlefield was decent. Single Thread performance is about the same, but the LGA775 platform was crap. And the C2Q is two C2D's glued together...
Ok, I think ya'll have sold me on the 2500k/P67 idea. If there are any other similar models I should watch out for please let me know. Or Xeons that would work well, I have had good luck in the past with xeon budget builds.

Also some quick clarification on the new "turbo" modes and locked chips. I know in the old days even chip with locked multipliers could still be overclocked with the FSB, is this still the case? The K in the model is unlocked correct?

Thanks for all the help, this is just what I have been looking for. Get some targets in my sights and then I can start hunting down a deal I can afford.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time to find some money and upgrade to a new machine, 10 years of service is a good long time.
I agree, I have been SUPER impressed with this ASUS motherboard, I never expected it to last this long, all while overclocked and not treated too nicely.

That said sadly due to other factors in life at the moment even finding the money to get a basic upgrade is proving difficult. I will basically have the money I can get some selling some other 775 based systems and thats about it. $150 could honestly be pushing it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Perhaps just upgrade the GPU, some GTX1050/RX560, and the card can be used in the next PC upgrade.

Right now a deal with AMD Ryzen R5 1500 / B350 / 8GB RAM can be found for cheap. And you can upgrade your CPU with Ryzen+ in the future...

Good Luck !

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not that worried about the GPU to be honest, mostly I would like to get something that is smaller and has more outputs if I did upgrade and might as well have more power while I am at it. The 280 is "enough" for what I am doing now.

Gaming is not high on my list at the moment, I mean the next game on my to play list is MW3 as I stopped playing after MW2 more or less.

Ryzen would be great but sadly out of my price range. Looking more for good used parts to hunt down.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,875 Posts
use the money to get a good quality power supply.

along with a good power supply, your graphics card and motherboard will no longer be overly stressed under load.

Then overclock the cpu furhter, overclock the 280 a bit more, and focus on saving up 4-500 bucks at a minimum.

an 8 core FX platform with 16gb of ram will suite you much more if you are looking to save money while increasing your ability to get stuff done.

I honestly would save up more like 700 bucks, because that can build you a modern 6 core ryzen setup that would absolutely smash your current computer, and the ryzen refresh coming out soon will have onboard graphics that would destroy your 280.

Right now, no matter what, it sounds like the power supply needs attention first, and if you get a good enough one, it will last for new machines in the future.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I have a line on a 600w power supply for $20 I am hoping pans out.

Can't overclock anything further really, I maxed out everything when I built this computer and I highly doubt that 10 years will allow it to be pushed further.

Sadly saving up is not really an option right now, only looking at the possibility of getting a cheap upgrade because this system is starting to effect my work and my means of making money at all.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The 2500k will be your best bet at achieving much better performance and staying in your price range. The FX series from AMD is also a good choice but I really don't know anything about them.

Since you have been out of the loop for a while I will cover all the stuff I can remember and you might not be aware of.

I'm talking about the 1155 socket which supports the second gen I5/I7 series cpu's, and some 3rd gen CPU's but they are out of your price range.

Any and all non-k cpu's will be locked and will NOT have the ability to overclock, so keep that in mind if you are looking at them.

The motherboard socket for that CPU is 1155, and there are a few different chipsets that you should know about.

These chipsets are very basic and do NOT support any overclocking.
B65
H61
Q67
H67
I'm not sure if there is a way to overclock via FSB on these, I never tried because I had an unlocked 2500k.

The P67 is usually "budget" oriented chipset that will allow you to overclock any K-series CPU.

The Z68 is the "premium" chipset that has the same overclock ability as the P67 but come with more features and stuff. It is generally reserved for the high end boards.

The I5-2500k is going to be an unlocked 4 core CPU, the I7-2600K will be an unlocked 4 core plus 4 hyperthreded cpu. The hyperthreading really does help with most modern games and applications, so get the I7 over the I5 if you can.

2 months ago my main system was a 4.7ghz I5-2500k. It did everything I asked and I never ran into an issue where it was truly struggling. I play mostly games with some CAD work, and other little things here and there.

You seem to have a good handle on the GPU side of things, a GTX 480 is a hot running power hungry turd, get the 650, or a 650 ti

See edit in underline bold.

·
Registered
799 Posts
FX Series

While i avoid to sugest FX processor and platform to people, since it is a dead end and we all know the CPU problems, i am still using (since 2012) one [email protected] w/ 990FXA-UD5 and 16Gb RAM.

I know there is a small bottleneck in some old games with my GTX1060 6GB, but i can play DOOM on line w/ 120+ fps @ Ultra and others modern games run just so great ! Not a single stutter or glitch.

Yes w/ intel i problably whould get more fps, but i have one 32 inch 60Hz 1080p LED monitor, so no problems.

It just run all my games great, and it´s a very, very old PC.... If you can find a combo very cheap, go for it ! It will destroy the C2Q.

=D

use the money to get a good quality power supply.

along with a good power supply, your graphics card and motherboard will no longer be overly stressed under load.

Then overclock the cpu furhter, overclock the 280 a bit more, and focus on saving up 4-500 bucks at a minimum.

an 8 core FX platform with 16gb of ram will suite you much more if you are looking to save money while increasing your ability to get stuff done.

I honestly would save up more like 700 bucks, because that can build you a modern 6 core ryzen setup that would absolutely smash your current computer, and the ryzen refresh coming out soon will have onboard graphics that would destroy your 280.

Right now, no matter what, it sounds like the power supply needs attention first, and if you get a good enough one, it will last for new machines in the future.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 2500k will be your best bet at achieving much better performance and staying in your price range. The FX series from AMD is also a good choice but I really don't know anything about them.

Since you have been out of the loop for a while I will cover all the stuff I can remember and you might not be aware of.

I'm talking about the 1155 socket which supports the second gen I5/I7 series cpu's, and some 3rd gen CPU's but they are out of your price range.

Any and all non-k cpu's will be locked and will NOT have the ability to overclock, so keep that in mind if you are looking at them.

The motherboard socket for that CPU is 1155, and there are a few different chipsets that you should know about.

These chipsets are very basic and do NOT support any overclocking.
B65
H61
Q67
H67
I'm sure if there is a way to overclock via FSB on these, I never tried because I had an unlocked 2500k.

The P67 is usually "budget" oriented chipset that will allow you to overclock any K-series CPU.

The Z68 is the "premium" chipset that has the same overclock ability as the P67 but come with more features and stuff. It is generally reserved for the high end boards.

The I5-2500k is going to be an unlocked 4 core CPU, the I7-2600K will be an unlocked 4 core plus 4 hyperthreded cpu. The hyperthreading really does help with most modern games and applications, so get the I7 over the I5 if you can.

2 months ago my main system was a 4.7ghz I5-2500k. It did everything I asked and I never ran into an issue where it was truly struggling. I play mostly games with some CAD work, and other little things here and there.

You seem to have a good handle on the GPU side of things, a GTX 480 is a hot running power hungry turd, get the 650, or a 650 ti
Thanks a lot for the update.

Ok, so P67 or Z68 motherboard with 1151 socket is what I am looking for.

2500k CPU is a good all around performer and mostly within my budget. 2600k is better but out of my budget unless I get real lucky. Any good runner ups to look out for? Xeon's?

I did notice that the GTX 480 is big and hot, which is why I was considering the 650, it costs a bit more but is a lot smaller and less power hungry. Any other good suggestions around the $30 price point (less would be even better, even if it was not as good performance).

Once again, thanks for all the help, trying to play catch up on 10 years of computer tech is a daunting task.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While i avoid to sugest FX processor and platform to people, since it is a dead end and we all know the CPU problems, i am still using (since 2012) one [email protected] w/ 990FXA-UD5 and 16Gb RAM.

I know there is a small bottleneck in some old games with my GTX1060 6GB, but i can play DOOM on line w/ 120+ fps @ Ultra and others modern games run just so great ! Not a single stutter or glitch.

Yes w/ intel i problably whould get more fps, but i have one 32 inch 60Hz 1080p LED monitor, so no problems.

It just run all my games great, and it´s a very, very old PC.... If you can find a combo very cheap, go for it ! It will destroy the C2Q.

=D
I try to stay away from AMD to be honest, Ryzen is the first thing in a long time that would even make me consider AMD again. Every single time I tried an AMD rig in the past (at least half a dozen of them) I ended up regretting it. Now maybe the newer stuff is better but it just never felt as snappy or powerful as a roughly equal intel build.

There were several times where I built an intel system for my main computer and a similarly speced AMD build for a secondary system side by side and I always hated the AMD.

Although if the performance is significantly better or the price is significantly less then what I can get from intel, I would consider it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts