Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been out of full time folding for a while, but thanks to curve_in's generous trade (my x2 555 for his x4 955) I got a decent CPU for folding.
I have the 955 @ 3.996 GHz
When NCIX opened up in the US, I got a GTS 460 Hawk for $100 Shipped.
Already had an OK board (Gigabyte 880) for free from MC.
8 gigs DDR3 1600 for $35.
I have an old WD black HDD.
Today I received my Neo Eco 620 for $24 AR.

So now compared to my Sig Rig, my folding rig is better and cost me less. The only thing in my sig rig that is better is the SSD.

How many other people have better folding rigs vs sig rigs?

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
My folding rig is a 2600K @ 4.8 with 2133 ram. I really don't need that kind of power for anything but folding so I am happy to use it exclusively for folding.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
My folding rig is similar to my sigrig, but with faster ram and a higher overclock, although it does not have a video card and my sigrig does. My folding rig is better at folding but my gaming/sigrig is better at gaming.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I use my macbook pro as my regular computer and my folding rigs are i7 860, i7 2600K, i3 2130M, and a Quad Core Q6600. All those in my opinion are better then my "regular" computer.

·
!
9,170 Posts
Nothing wrong with that at all. If the situation arose to have a good dedicated folding rig it would be better than my sig rig.

What you could do though if you wanted to is to swap out your machines 450 for the folding rigs 460, if you really wanted to feel your rig got an upgrade too. The 460 would help you game better than your 450 allows and the 450 would only fold about 25% less than the 460 max. OF course if your 450 games just fine for you then keep the 460 folding, but I see nothing wrong with your situation, both are excellent folders and neither rig is a slouch in any aspect.

Are you folding on your sig rig when you aren't gaming though? That's one way you could improve your production and it's pretty easy to just pause the GPU for gaming, the CPU in my case can usually just keep on folding if it's just SMP even while gaming.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right now I don't fold on my sig rig except for fold-a thons. It produces too much heat in my bedroom. In the winter I fold with it most of the time though.

In reality my sig rig is overkill for what I use if for. I play a few games (Crysis, the original Medal of Honor and a few others) and it handles them pretty well. I do some DVD rips and occasionaly convert videos for my iphone/ipod touch. I truthfully use my netbook the most since it sits by my recliner (but it is beginning to bug me how long it takes to do even simple tasks).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, I fold on all my rigs and use my laptop for surfing, but it feels very pokey! My Sig Rig is for team folding. My 2600's do -hugeadv wu's. 4.8 oc underwater with 2133 ram. If I'm going to do some photo stuff, I'll use that one as long as it's not working on a 6904.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Unless you use your sig-rig for anything require loads of processing power on a regular basis, I'd say it's the way to go...

My 2600k has done absolutely nothing but fold since I bought it back in January, and is easily my most powerful piece of hardware. My sig rig does a fine job of anything I throw at it day to day, so no reason for me to swap things around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts