Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry if I am posting in wrong thread, but I am really confused on this matter. My system config is Intel i7 3770 (not K), 16GB DDR3 Ram (Corsair), Z77 motherboard, Cooler master 700W power supply, Cooler Master Haf 912 cabinet, and Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as the CPU cooler. I am installing a Nvidia Quadro, for 3D modelling, rendering, premiere video editing, photoshop tasks, etc. My question is my CPU temperature now is 33-35 C at this season (Winter), but during rendering, etc. it shoots upto 45-55 C, and in summer the temperature is usually 32-37 C, and during tasks it reaches 55-65 C. So I was thinking of a installing a Corsair H100i, so is it necessary for my system, even though my processor is not an overclocked one? Is the liquid cooling only required for overclocked processors? Or can I just put in the some cooling fans in cabinet, 1 one the front, 2 on top, 1 in back and side and front is already present? Also are those temperatures normal and healthy?

Any guidance in this matter will be highly helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
As everyone said you're fine, A H100i is a waste of money for you.

Your temperatures are pretty good for the stock cooler, for reference the limit on Intel 3xxx Ivy Bridge chips for temperature is 105 C before it throttles to prevent damage. You could happily run it over 70c for years, theyre designed for it
thumb.gif

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all guys! You just pulled me out of a big dilemma. I knew it I will get helpful suggestions here, instead of somewhere else.

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Those coolers on stock setups are not just about temperature. Does the fan bother you, or get on your nerves? That is one place using something like an H100i or most other AIO's shines. You can really turn down the fans on a stock system and get it really quiet. The only real noise maker would be your case and GPU fan.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

For a non-overclockable CPU like the i7-3770 (non-K), the stock HSF that came with it is all you'd need. Of course, having a couple fans in your case for airflow is a good idea as well.
this

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XEKong View Post

Those coolers on stock setups are not just about temperature. Does the fan bother you, or get on your nerves? That is one place using something like an H100i or most other AIO's shines. You can really turn down the fans on a stock system and get it really quiet. The only real noise maker would be your case and GPU fan.
Fair point in general, but is it worth paying out 100ish euro/pounds for an AIO that adds the possibility of pump failure and leaking just for being slightly more quiet on a stock CPU. A small air heatsink with a single fan would be much cheaper and quieter still.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjeet View Post

I have a 3770 non K at 4.2ghz 1.05v, won't go over 75c in Prime95.
How you are running on 4.2GHz? I am running at 3.40 GHz, is there any special steps involved in that?

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slink3Slyde View Post

Fair point in general, but is it worth paying out 100ish euro/pounds for an AIO that adds the possibility of pump failure and leaking just for being slightly more quiet on a stock CPU. A small air heatsink with a single fan would be much cheaper and quieter still.
Most of these systems have been designed so well, the odds of a failure or a leak is pretty small. The odds of a failed pump is greater than a leak but it's not a common occurrence. And companies like Corsair have taken care of customers with damaged components from leaks, so I would not be that concerned with that aspect.

Far point about using a small aftermarket heat sink. Some cool well, and keep the noise down for much less cost.

Either way, the OP is using the processor as intended, and as far as function goes does not need anything else. I would look at plenty of case fans to keep the GPU fed with fresh air, but otherwise should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgman View Post

How you are running on 4.2GHz? I am running at 3.40 GHz, is there any special steps involved in that?

Thanks
I believe you can up the turbo-multiplier by 3, so from 3,9GHz turbo to 4,2GHz turbo.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XEKong View Post

Most of these systems have been designed so well, the odds of a failure or a leak is pretty small. The odds of a failed pump is greater than a leak but it's not a common occurrence. And companies like Corsair have taken care of customers with damaged components from leaks, so I would not be that concerned with that aspect.

Far point about using a small aftermarket heat sink. Some cool well, and keep the noise down for much less cost.

Either way, the OP is using the processor as intended, and as far as function goes does not need anything else. I would look at plenty of case fans to keep the GPU fed with fresh air, but otherwise should be good to go.
I've seen quite a few people posting up here and other places with pump failures and leaks on various different AIO's. Although I do accept that as a percentage most last at least until the end of their warranty. Not worth it IMO on a stock CPU. Not a fan myself, can you tell
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattifnatten View Post

I believe you can up the turbo-multiplier by 3, so from 3,9GHz turbo to 4,2GHz turbo.
Yep that's it. Need a Z series board though. I have bclck at 102mhz to squeeze the last bits.

Off the top of my head it's 41x102.7mhz

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slink3Slyde View Post

I've seen quite a few people posting up here and other places with pump failures and leaks on various different AIO's. Although I do accept that as a percentage most last at least until the end of their warranty. Not worth it IMO on a stock CPU. Not a fan myself, can you tell
tongue.gif
thumb.gif
I understand, different strokes for different blokes lol. Everyone has their preferences, and nothing is wrong with that.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Ivy is good up to 105*C before thermal throttling Kicks in, so you have plenty of room.

Edit:

My bad, loaded this page a while ago, hadn't seen the other responses. Plus I'm on the road so internet is intermittent at best...
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjeet View Post

Yep that's it. Need a Z series board though. I have bclck at 102mhz to squeeze the last bits.

Off the top of my head it's 41x102.7mhz
I see. I also have Z series motherboard. Its Intel DZ77GA-70K. Is it healthy for the motherboard as well as the processor? And what is the normal temperature you are getting and what temperature during load? Please advice how can I do the same? A step by step guide will be very helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Well it's pretty simple since it's a pretty minor overclock in the grand scheme of things.

Just put the multiplier to 41.
Set the vcore conservatively, 1.15v is a good start point. Use Prime95 to stability test for lowest stable vcore.

My chip idles at about 35c and Prime95 hits about 75c. I'm running in a small ITX chassis so you should see better temps in an atx case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts