Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, now and again I've considered going for watercooling, and I am aware that something like the xspc rasa kit at 130 outperforms the h100 which is almost as much, but I've got one major problem with going for full blown WC.

Portability. I move my desktop a lot. I'm at a lan of some sort almost every weekend and I move my computer a lot regardless.

My question is whether or not a "real" WC setup is viable for someone like me. I know that I could drain the loop and refill once I reach my destination, but that really just sounds like a huge pain and TBH I don't even run my setup and any unreasonable OCs.

Do any of you guys have experience with portable WC rigs or am I better off with closed loop stuff?

also, if enabling a portable WC setup requires more expenditure, I really don't know if I'll be up for that as the rs240 kit/h100 are already basically as much as I'm willing to spend on cooling.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
You will be better off with a closed loop. the tubes can come off without u knowing and fry ur pc
frown.gif

·
Storage Nut
21,138 Posts
Where do you usually move it?

If it is in a car it should be good with the rasa kit. Just need to ziptie the tubes good

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill;15268043
You will be better off with a closed loop. the tubes can come off without u knowing and fry ur pc
frown.gif
I know barely anything about watercooling, but would compression fittings help this in any way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWebster;15268047
Where do you usually move it?

If it is in a car it should be good with the rasa kit. Just need to ziptie the tubes good
Hrm... It is usually just car transport, but I'm not sure I'd keep my sanity moving around something so volatile being held by zipties.

As i asked above, is there a more permanent/"professional" way of making sure tubes don't go falling all over the place or will zipties net me the same benefit?

·
Storage Nut
21,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPrestonn;15268050
I know barely anything about watercooling, but would compression fittings help this in any way?
Yes

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbar71;15268080
Zip ties or suitable hose clamps will net you the same benefit.

Compression fittings will give you the same benefit, but with a more professional look.
Cool, how much do you think a set for all of the tubing in a CPU only loop would usually run? I know that they're not exactly cheap but it's the sort of thing I'd be willing to do for peace of mind if I went that route.

·
Storage Nut
21,138 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: xPrestonn

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use compression fittings everywhere in my system i move it probably once a week when i do i always make sure to check the fittings even though they look like they cant come off their is still a chance

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren9;15268154
I think I'd be less worried about a properly installed WC than a huge heatsink hanging off the mobo. As long as its screwed down and you've got compressions/metal barbs with wormdrives there isn't going to be a problem.
I'm not keen on superbig heatsinks either, mugen 2 is about the biggest I'd ever do.

a lot of the reason I wanted to move to WC was noise and space.

·
Storage Nut
21,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPrestonn;15268525
I'm not keen on superbig heatsinks either, mugen 2 is about the biggest I'd ever do.

a lot of the reason I wanted to move to WC was noise and space.
lol space? It takes up way more space in the case, I sold mine b/c of it. You need a fan controller to keep it quiet and good fans.
wink.gif

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWebster;15268549
lol space? It takes up way more space in the case, I sold mine b/c of it. You need a fan controller to keep it quiet and good fans.
wink.gif
Space around the socket itself, I mean. I don't mind a few tubes going through my case.

Also, I would be running at fairly mild OCs compared to most people so I could just leave some low speed fans running w/o a fan controller and not have to worry too much.

·
Storage Nut
21,138 Posts
Ok then, you are going to want different fans though, the stock ones are loud even at lower rpm, Gelid wings are quiet and cheaper then the GT's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts