Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cyberpunk & Mainframes
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The max memory of my board specs says 64GB DDR3, but my CPU max memory is 256GB. I believe the board came out before there were 16GB DDR3 DIMMs; 8GB were out (so 64GB in my case). Is it a hard limit from the motherboard? a hard limit from the PCH? Or does it just depend on the CPU and that max memory is a support/guideline thing? Is there a reason why the board wouldn't initialize 8x16GB vs 8x8GB? I'd love to go for 128GB in the future on my board (workstation). It's an Asrock X79 board, quad channel, 8 slots with a Xeon E5 CPU.

·
Iconoclast
30,438 Posts
The memory controller and/or the system's firmware can limit the density of memory supported. Chipset, in and of itself, is irrelevant, unless the platform is old enough to still have the memory controller there.

Almost all AMD DDR3 platforms support 16GiB DDR3 UDIMMs.

Broadwell is the first mainstream Intel architecture to support 16GiB DDR3 UDIMMs correctly.

Sandy-E and Ivy-E HEDT platforms will also support 16GiB DDR3 UDIMMs, but many LGA-2011-0 motherboards lack firmware with the correct MRC (memory reference code) for this density. ASUS X79 boards with the newest available BIOS will generally work with 16GiB UDIMMs, but other manufacturers are more hit or miss.

You may want to look up the firmware changelogs for your ASRock board, or contact ASRock directly to see if 16GiB DIMMs are supported.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts