Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I was wondering for my future build if i should get 2 of the same kits of 2x2gb or 1 kit of 2x4gb of ddr3.
But i heared that more ram sticks is bad, is it ???

What would work best, 8gb with 2 stick or 4 sticks ?
and if it is slower or whatever the issue would be, is it a big difference in performance ?

Thank you in advanced whoever can help
smile.gif

Gaming96.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
probably not a big difference in performance, but cost wise they might be different.

If you're looking for more than 8GB eventually, 2x4GB is the way to go. If you think you're going to max out at 8GB then might as well go for whichever is cheapest.

• Rep+
Reactions: gaming96

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It's generally recommended to have the least sticks possible. When overclocking it can be an issue if one stick doesn't want to cooperate and reach higher clocks like the others. Less sticks means less places for something to go wrong. Also, I'd imagine you'd use a little less power with fewer sticks.

• Rep+
Reactions: gaming96

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
We used to have a lot of problems overclocking with many 4-stick kits instead of 2-sticks. (Like 2x2GB was better than 4x1GB) But anymore, it doesn't seem to matter as much.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez12a;11973405
probably not a big difference in performance, but cost wise they might be different.

If you're looking for more than 8GB eventually, 2x4GB is the way to go. If you think you're going to max out at 8GB then might as well go for whichever is cheapest.
I was thinking about if i was going anymore than 8gb and dont really need more but i will deffinatly get 16gb in the rig after the next 1 i build unless if theres anything bad about 16gb aswell ? :/

but if i am going to buy another set of 8gb if i go for the 2x4gb then knowing me id rather get a full lot and sell the 8gb and buy a 16gb kit or 2 kits
smile.gif
and 2x4gb and 2 kits of 2x2gb is the same sort of price so might aswell go for whats got the best performance and overclocking ability if u no what i mean
smile.gif

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXjay247Xx;11973441
Well they can be, more ram could put more stress on your chip set, causing more heat, but for performance, I wouldn't say so, and if there was it wouldn't be noticeable.
how bad do you mean 'stress the chipset' ? :/ and +rep for u all for trying to help up to now, still want to find out tho
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming96;11973522
how bad do you mean 'stress the chipset' ? :/ and +rep for u all for trying to help up to now, still want to find out tho
tongue.gif
Well it will stress the chipset more, in return causing more heat, I would also go with what cuy50 said, I used to have 4 sticks all of them where 1 gig each, however one of them kept failing, and causing BSOD, so less ram sticks the better imo.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXjay247Xx;11973632
Well it will stress the chipset more, in return causing more heat, I would also go with what cuy50 said, I used to have 4 sticks all of them where 1 gig each, however one of them kept failing, and causing BSOD, so less ram sticks the better imo.
ok and the chipset is on the cpu isent it ? on phenom II x6 anyways, will be having a 1090t in next build
tongue.gif

and will be having watercooling so wont that stop the heat ?
and last question lol, what happens if the chipset stresses to much, does it just break and if is on the cpu, the cpu dies :'( ?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also i really like the idea of 4 sticks in my sytem, aswell as it looking cool lol, but it feels better to me for some reason
tongue.gif

anyways i was going to downclock the ram from 2000 to 1600 and tighten timings, will that change any stress on the chipset ?

and will i fix the heat issue with the watercooling, or is it alot of heat, like loads that wont be able to be done with watercooling :/ ?

sorry for some noob questions
frown.gif

·
Registered
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming96;11973728
ok and the chipset is on the cpu isent it ? on phenom II x6 anyways, will be having a 1090t in next build
tongue.gif

and last question lol, what happens if the chipset stresses to much, does it just break and if is on the cpu, the cpu dies :'( ?
No worries as the 1090 will handle 4 sticks very nicely.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming96;11973728
tongue.gif

No the chipset is on the motherboard, nothing major can really happen, its just it could cause instability, and also heat up your other components.
And since your running a AMD build tighter timings are better than faster clock speeds, but are you sure you want to go that low?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXjay247Xx;11973777
No the chipset is on the motherboard, nothing major can really happen, its just it could cause instability, and also heat up your other components.
And since your running a AMD build tighter timings are better than faster clock speeds, but are you sure you want to go that low?
tongue.gif
what you mean by ''are you sure you want to go that low'', what do you mean, the speed or the timings or what lol ?

and is the chipset on north bridge or south bridge or somewhere els ?

thank you,
Gaming96.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming96;11973856
what you mean by ''are you sure you want to go that low'', what do you mean, the speed or the timings or what lol ?

and is the chipset on north bridge or south bridge or somewhere els ?

thank you,
Gaming96.
Clock speeds, best thing to do is to do some ram benchmark, take the score, then lower it and lower the timings, and see if you get a better score.

Also the chipset is connected to both.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXjay247Xx;11973947
Clock speeds, best thing to do is to do some ram benchmark, take the score, then lower it and lower the timings, and see if you get a better score.

Also the chipset is connected to both.
ohh i know that lol.
well its 2000mhz @ 8-9-8
and at 1600mhz @ 6-7-6 to 5-5-5 i was hoping to get i think, it was in another thread and i think it should be able to be dont on it, its corsair dominator gt ddr3
biggrin.gif

And the motherboard is reviewed and is a very good overclocker and has good heatsinks and heatpipe on both and the mosfets i think you call them
tongue.gif

The motherboard is a GA-790FXTA-UD5
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
With the Phenom II X6.
4x2gb will not effect the ocing abilities of those cpu.
I have 4x2gb with my 1090T and my limit is 4.25Ghz with and without have 4x2gb.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974;11974337
With the Phenom II X6.
4x2gb will not effect the ocing abilities of those cpu.
I have 4x2gb with my 1090T and my limit is 4.25Ghz with and without have 4x2gb.
thank you
smile.gif
+rep
biggrin.gif

and if i buy 2 kits of 2x2gb (8gb) the speed and CL are 2000 @ 8-9-8 hopfully OC'd to 1600 @ 6-7-6 or lower
tongue.gif

and the 2x4gb kit (8gb) the speed and CL are 2000 @ 9-10-9 and hopfully OC'd to 1600 @ 7-8-7 or lower if i choose that kit :/

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
i've gotten a fairly high OC on my unlocked 550 (B50) with 4 sticks of RAM. If 2 vs. 4 makes a difference I didnt see it.

newer IMCs in the C3 chips should be even better, so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts