Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are you going to be gaming on this? Because for $1400, your rig is incredibly underpowered in the graphics department. I managed to fit two GTX 470s in a $1200 budget. Cut down some of that somewhere (get only one hard drive, 4GB RAM, etc). I know you're going for Intel, so that's gonna add another $200 on top of what my CPU/MB cost me, but you should at least be reaching out for two 460s. Also, a 650W can handle two 460s easily so a 750W for one 460 is a lot of overkill.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rydeordie1190 View Post
Are you going to be gaming on this? Because for $1400, your rig is incredibly underpowered in the graphics department. I managed to fit two GTX 470s in a $1200 budget. Cut down some of that somewhere (get only one hard drive, 4GB RAM, etc). I know you're going for Intel, so that's gonna add another $200 on top of what my CPU/MB cost me, but you should at least be reaching out for two 460s. Also, a 650W can handle two 460s easily so a 750W for one 460 is a lot of overkill.
He's pretty much right. Except you need triple channel memory so you need the 6gigs. But everything else I agree. I don't know why you need hyperthreading for gaming and it won't help at all. I would do an i5 build. But if you stick to this get a lower watted power supply and a better graphics card.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Just a warning the H50 is a decent cooler but for the price its very overrated. Plus the mounting system is a total pain in the ass.

·
Too Poor For This
7,054 Posts
A few things:
Hard Drives
Samsung F3 1tbs are cheaper and faster then the Caviar blacks so go with those.
Powersupply
Why are you getting a 750 watt PSU? You can SLI two 460s on a 650 watt PSU so I would go with the Corsair 650TX/650HX, Antec 650, XFX 650, or a Seasonic 650. So either drop the 750 for a 650 or look for a good deal on a 470 and get one of those.

[Edit]
My recommendations for power supplies are there to allow for SLI 460s/470s later on in the future

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillmiester View Post
Just a warning the H50 is a decent cooler but for the price its very overrated. Plus the mounting system is a total pain in the ass.
Mounting system is fine, but for over 4Ghz + HT he's not gonna be happy with the temps. I'd cut costs somewhere and get a CPU loop or build an 1156 setup for cheaper if you only want one GPU.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaburrito View Post
the power supply is definitely not worth it. Your rig draws about 300watts of power. So get a 400watt power supply.
That GTX 470 uses about 250 it self...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'll tell you why it pissed me off. When you finally do get it mounted the little metal barbs where the screws go in, when you put pressure down and your screwing it they push out from their place and turn and twist around so have to back everything out and make sure its in the little socketed place on the bracket. Once you've fooled around trying to get it screwed down without out them popping out you find that the pressure is lackluster at best.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by polm View Post
I'm a friend of ad_game, we're building this computer for a friend, its for gaming... what i5 do you reccomand to replace the i7 ?
the i5 750 is the best gaming processor. it performs the same as an i7 just for $100 less the only reason to get an i7 is for encoding and stuff like that when you will be using all 8 threads

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=47
here is the difference between the i5 and i7 and as you can see gaming wise the i5 is better most of the time but i guess its not really noticeable in game so why not get the i5 and save money

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddreder View Post
the i5 750 is the best gaming processor. it performs the same as an i7 just for $100 less the only reason to get an i7 is for encoding and stuff like that when you will be using all 8 threads

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=47
here is the difference between the i5 and i7 and as you can see gaming wise the i5 is better most of the time but i guess its not really noticeable in game so why not get the i5 and save money

Ok thanks I'll look for it!

+ Is the 6gig ram triple channel really worth it if we forget the raid0 ?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

Epic win build IMO.
Actually, I didn't realize the 460s were not 1gb. Get 2 1gb models and drops the SSD, your total will come out to 1371.50 shipped.
edit: OR if you drop the 2 460s and get a single gtx480, your total comes out to 1371.51
I've always favored single gpus over dual set ups though, so it's just personal preference.
Sli gtx460 benchmarks: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...i_7.html#sect0
They are win. They compare to a 5970 except at 2560x1600 resolution.. which they fail at.
But I doubt you're on that resolution... so...

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts