Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i change the fsb in the bios then reboot, everything tells me that the cpu has changed to another one, now everything including cpuz tells me my cpu is an xp2400+ running at 2ghz. Is it suposed to do this? also i tried to change the multi using jumper settings and it booted saying the settings would not work and it will load the default. So i changed back to the normal 12.5 multi and it still came up with the same message about it not working with that setting. even though the default is 12.5? anyone have any ideas?

cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mee

When i change the fsb in the bios then reboot, everything tells me that the cpu has changed to another one, now everything including cpuz tells me my cpu is an xp2400+ running at 2ghz. Is it suposed to do this? also i tried to change the multi using jumper settings and it booted saying the settings would not work and it will load the default. So i changed back to the normal 12.5 multi and it still came up with the same message about it not working with that setting. even though the default is 12.5? anyone have any ideas?

cheers

Your multiplies is most likely locked, but you should be able to change you FSB. I've never heard of a XP CPU having the FSB locked.

You might want to try resetting your bios after all that messing around, see if that fixes the error.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mee

there is no error, it just changes the multi to 12.5 again when it boots. is there any way for me to change the multi then?

Opps, I misseread that. If it changes back your CPU is locked. So no multiplier adjustments can be made. That's totally normal for desktop XP's that were made after the first few months of 2003.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Opps, I misseread that. If it changes back your CPU is locked. So no multiplier adjustments can be made. That's totally normal for desktop XP's that were made after the first few months of 2003.

ok thanks. can they be unlocked and is it worth doing?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mee

ok thanks. can they be unlocked and is it worth doing?

They can, but there a big chance that you will damage the cpu and it's a PITA either way... Not worth it IMO.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top