Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so at first i thought it might be a driver issue but i've tried about all the drivers now and it has not fixed it. has this happen to anyone else. my 5870 is just freezing up in the middle of my css games and its not even putting that big a load on the card. my screen looks like this.
picture.php?albumid=3032&pictureid=21316

picture.php?albumid=3032&pictureid=21315

has any one had this happen before and should i send my card in? well thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Looks like the3 GSOD (Grey Screen Of Death). It's not as bad as it sounds though. I had that shortly after I bought my Gigabyte 5870, but a BIOS update for the card fixed it, and I've had no problems since.

Check the manufacturer's website to see if there is a BIOS update for that card.

·
Car cheaper than computer
3,049 Posts
I get that when I try to take my 4850 to 820Mhz.

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,528 Posts
that's the gray screen of death. experienced it also with my powercolor HD5870. just changed the bios on my card and fixed it.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whood886;12039100
ok i hope thats what it is because im downloading the bio's change right now but they want me to format a usb and boot from there and all this other stuff. is that how you had to do it to or was there a easier way?
While I know most people say never to update BIOS while in Windows, I think that pertains mostly to motherboard BIOS. Gigabyte had a nice little program that allowed me to back up my current BIOS, and apply the new one.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALiShaikh;12039133
Its XFX? No wonder...
Well there's your problem? Nah, I'm thinking that this is a reference card with XFX stickers and brandings on it. The cad's most likely fine, albeit until the digital VRM overheats and you get a GSOD.

There are thee options.

A. RMA. If you've got a reference card, you'll most likely get back a lesser quality non-reference card which wont overclock as well or not at all! If you're already on a non reference, then, nothing to lose.

B. Upgrade.

C. Purchase an aftermarket cooler with adequate compensation for VRMs.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
It's definitely not the VRMs... The volterras on the 5 series can handle temps of up to 130C, and even if it's making poor contact you're never going to approach that temperature playing a game.

It could be the bios as others have said, so try flashing to another bios. If that doesn't fix it, I think it is a memory issue. Some 5870s were plagued with bad memory chips, so an RMA might be in order (or you could try downclocking memory speed for a temporary fix).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im currently tiring to upgrade the bio's but had some problems and had to reset my cmos for my motherboard so once i get it all back up and running i'll try flashing the bio's again and hope that'll fix it. its watercooled so theres no way its overheating. it runs at 21 c on idle and doesnt get over 35 during a game or at full load.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Try drooping the core to 800mhz and the memory to 1000mhz and stress test it to see if it gray screens,
If it does not then most likely memory is starting to go faulty.. ive seen it happen to a few 5870's even new ones out of the box.

·
Registered
987 Posts
GSODing usually means unstable memory. If you do have it OC'd bring it down to 1200 which is stock. Usually mem is harder to OC and they all hav a max rating that they can run on. If you are OCing get core stable first then slowly advance ur way onto mem. If this doesnt work flashing ur card to the latest vbios is also another solution, the current vbios might not be supplying enuf voltage for the mem freq.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whood886
View Post

im currently tiring to upgrade the bio's but had some problems and had to reset my cmos for my motherboard so once i get it all back up and running i'll try flashing the bio's again and hope that'll fix it. its watercooled so theres no way its overheating. it runs at 21 c on idle and doesnt get over 35 during a game or at full load.

VRM temperature is completely different than the GPU temperature, which is what you're talking about.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've suffered similar problems with my factory OC'd Vapor-X 5870 (875/1250) - after many evenings of running OCCT and much dialogue with Sapphire I found that the problem was down to the factory OC being too aggressive for the card.

New vBIOSes provided by Sapphire changed the fan profile and voltage control, but didn't make the card any more stable.

A quick flash with a non OC vBIOS (850/1200) seems to have resolved the issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts