Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a mate got me a 7950, he acted like he was going to get it for himself so I told him to get the Sapphire 7950 v2 (7970 PCB). PCCG didn't send us that but the boost which seems to be a reference 7950 PCB, the card itself looks really nice but I am unsure if its a reference or not, I'll be water cooling it later on most likely if temps are bad too.

I hope the pictures are okay, they're just off my Velocity 4G.

Oh and yes I do realize it saying "AMD" above the PCI-E slot meant reference on past generation cards, I just would like to be certain.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
is your card model no 11196-16-20G . you might find this code in the box on the serial no sticker . if its is then its a reference HD 7950 PCB.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I'm leaning towards it being reference ,myself because it looks like a reference layout but I'm not certain. I guess I'll find out when I drive back to my dorm, I'm at home for the weekend with no PC
frown.gif

I'll be comparing it to my ice which is reference for sure.

+rep guys, thanks

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

is your card model no 11196-16-20G . you might find this code in the box on the serial no sticker . if its is then its a reference HD 7950 PCB.
Sorry to double post.. This is a lot harder to use on my tablet, but its a 11196-16-40G which is supposedly the 7970 PCB model but its got two 6 pins..?

Turns out it, is a 7970 except one of the 8x pins hasn't been soldered so its just two 6 pins, from my understanding it had a eight and a six.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post

So a mate got me a 7950, he acted like he was going to get it for himself so I told him to get the Sapphire 7950 v2 (7970 PCB). PCCG didn't send us that but the boost which seems to be a reference 7950 PCB, the card itself looks really nice but I am unsure if its a reference or not, I'll be water cooling it later on most likely if temps are bad too.

I hope the pictures are okay, they're just off my Velocity 4G.

Oh and yes I do realize it saying "AMD" above the PCI-E slot meant reference on past generation cards, I just would like to be certain.
smile.gif
Just and FYI since most have answered you already. When trying to find if your PCB is reference or not. Look right above the PCI connector. On all AMD/ATI cards the PCB revision number is there. If its a reference design it will have the AMD reference board number on it, if its a custom design the number will be different. I prefer going to swiftech's site for finding PCB revision numbers for reference designs as they are usually spelled out clear as day. The 2nd picture you took gets to blurry when I blow it up, but if you yourself take a closer look at it and hit up swiftech (again just a point of reference) you should be to verify with 99% accuracy that your PCB is reference.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3m3nt4l View Post

Just and FYI since most have answered you already. When trying to find if your PCB is reference or not. Look right above the PCI connector. On all AMD/ATI cards the PCB revision number is there. If its a reference design it will have the AMD reference board number on it, if its a custom design the number will be different. I prefer going to swiftech's site for finding PCB revision numbers for reference designs as they are usually spelled out clear as day. The 2nd picture you took gets to blurry when I blow it up, but if you yourself take a closer look at it and hit up swiftech (again just a point of reference) you should be to verify with 99% accuracy that your PCB is reference.
Yes, I checked that after others mentioned it. Thank you for all the help guys! My next problem is one of the bearings in the fans isn't right, so it makes a rattling noise when I spin in with my finger and the other is silent.. I'll see what it does in my PC first though.
Do sapphire RMA off serial number? Would they let me just send them the fan/cooler to save on postage costs?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Open CCC and go to *information/hardware clic. What does it says on the fabricant? Built by AMD or Powered by AMD? My ref card say *built by AMD* while my non ref says *Powered by AMD.*

Also the Ref model usually have the AMD logo printed on top of the PCI fingers like yours. Non ref dont.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank33 View Post

Open CCC and go to *information/hardware clic. What does it says on the fabricant? Built by AMD or Powered by AMD? My ref card say *built by AMD* while my non ref says *Powered by AMD.*

Also the Ref model usually have the AMD logo printed on top of the PCI fingers like yours. Non ref dont.
It was only tried in a friends PC to see if it works
tongue.gif
I'll be going back to uni tonight so I'll test it then. I'm just going out for dinner with friends before that and I prefer to drive at night, I'd drive back now otherwise
tongue.gif

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:

Mine says Powered by AMD and I have all reference cards, so this point is moot.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Maybe it was not moot for the 6XXX series? EK site say that my non ref is a Rev2 so it's not a *real* reference. Im not arguing here, just trying to figure out the difference or the why...
biggrin.gif

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe it was not moot for the 6XXX series? EK site say that my non ref is a Rev2 so it's not a *real* reference. Im not arguing here, just trying to figure out the difference or the why...
biggrin.gif
Trying to figure this out by some random software line is sophomoric. A visual match is the proper method and the only one to prevent buying the wrong blocks.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Trying to figure this out by some random software line is sophomoric. A visual match is the proper method and the only one to prevent buying the wrong blocks.
It works if you aren't 100% certain, or if it looks like it. I think it's another good way to check
thumb.gif

But nothing will beat a visual match

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post

Yes, I checked that after others mentioned it. Thank you for all the help guys! My next problem is one of the bearings in the fans isn't right, so it makes a rattling noise when I spin in with my finger and the other is silent.. I'll see what it does in my PC first though.
Do sapphire RMA off serial number? Would they let me just send them the fan/cooler to save on postage costs?
My 7950 Vapor-X has a shroud rattling issue. I would have RMA-d but mine was an amazing overclocker. So if yours overclocks well dont RMA, if it doesnt.. RMA. I highly doubt they offer fan RMAs, but if they do.. awesome
wink.gif

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpinheimer View Post

My 7950 Vapor-X has a shroud rattling issue. I would have RMA-d but mine was an amazing overclocker. So if yours overclocks well dont RMA, if it doesnt.. RMA. I highly doubt they offer fan RMAs, but if they do.. awesome
wink.gif
Well I messaged them about it anyway!
smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback!
thumb.gif

Did you ever replace the fan?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts